50 replies to this topic

#31 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 10:40 PM

Finally got some work done on this. I got the garage cleaned up last weekend and decided to do some work on the dozer. I put some more boards under it on the cart that it rides on until we get it running. Then i got out the 3 foot monkey wrench and started cranking on the axle and spraying the tracks to get them freed up some, and made some progress on that. When that finally tired me out, i put it back the way it was and pulled out the Wisconsin engine. I have decided that i do not want to build this without a diesel. AND, my dad said he would split the cost of a diesel to put in. So now to fine a nice cheap diesel somewhere.

After that, i started removing the lift piston, and found that i will have to do some cutting later this week to get it out and cleaned up. At the same time it needs a drain in that area so all the dirt and water that used to collect there will stop. Thats about it for this weekend.

#32 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 11:03 PM

Quick update, Kubota D600 going in this, made mounts today, will have more to report in the coming weeks. Its 12 pm so i think ill turn in for the night

#33 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Ho lee cow that thing looks like a mini tank.

i can think of 10 different things to do to that crawler but :ditto:would be insane cool,
in the pic.s i can't tell, what is bolted to the frount of the crawler ? looks mean,
cool,

#34 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Good to hear this project is moving ahead some. DO keep us updated with pics. Now that you've gotten enough sleep, get back to work! LOL

#35 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 08:51 AM

Lol I'm trying, I got the engine bolted down yesterday and found a fuel tank that will fit right infront of the engine. I should have some pics by tonight.

#36 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 08:56 AM

I should have some pics by tonight.

Good deal!

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 02:39 PM

:wewantpics: :wewantvideo: :picsoritsnotyours:
  • Goltz said thank you

#38 Tazfink OFFLINE  

Tazfink

• Member No: 5634
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Any new updates?

#39 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 08:43 PM

Well its been a while since ive been able to post pics (computers broken, ipod wont do it) so i didnt feel like teaseing your guys.:D But were all go now, and the crawler project has inched forwards.

I finished mounting the engine, and the pump. The pipes for the pickup on the pump are on, just need some hose. Before i got the pump in, i just had to start the engine. So out comes my diesel cans, one hose to the IN port and the other the the OUT back to the can. Turn ON :wallbanging: :wallbanging: the fuel control, and crack injector lines a hair. Connect battery, crank crank crank, squirt squirt, smoke smoke, roar! It lives! Its leaking! :wallbanging: Shut down, retighten fuel lines, and restart, much faster.:smile1: Wait, needs to cool off. I fixed that with a garden hose to the IN hose on the engine and it stayed nice and cool until i get the radiator hoses in. Thats about it until i get the lines for the hydraulics, and fluid. once it runs and drives my dad will buy the steel for the blade, should be done just after the first snow fall...:D Oh, and how do i wire up the alternator i bought? I heard somewhere the one the engine came with was hard to use and this one wasn't too expensive.

And now, pics-
photo 5 (3).jpg
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 4 (4).jpg
  • photo 3 (4).jpg
  • photo 2 (6).jpg
  • photo 1 (6).jpg

• Goltz said thank you

#40 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Well today we made an attempt to move after the last fittings came in, but it wouldnt move. The shaft drives when it's in neutral, but once engaged, there doesn't seem to be enough power to drive the tracks, and ideas?

#41 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:44 PM

Can you get it in the air? You may have stuck pivots in the track. The other thing that comes to mind is to make sure the brakes aren't stuck.

#42 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 10:40 AM

The tracks are stiff but they do move, and the brakes are free. It just seems to lack power.

#43 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Did U get all the air out of the system. it sounds like a hydraulic problem. If the track drive is hydraulic, are U sure that the pump, motor & valves are all good? :confuse:

#44 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 08:46 PM

No, am not sure. I just ordered some parts to make a pressure tester to find out where it has pressure and where it doesn't.

#45 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 03:36 PM

After several false starts, and remounting a track twice, this beast finally moves under its own power. I just had a 2 hoses crossed so that it didnt put the pressure where it was suposed to be. :wallbanging:
After remounting the pump, and running the hoses it rolled off the pallet for the first time, and i took it right over to some tree limbs from last summer. When i moved them before i had used my smokey massey and it struggled with them the entire way. This monster just dug in and pulled them like nothing, but its light on the front without a blade on it. Thats when the track that i had just put on fell off, it sheared off the bolt. So after setting it on a trailer axle and pulling it back to the shop with a pipe and chains, it set out to pull another log, one that 2 tractors could not pull just a few months ago. It took almost an hour to get there because the belt won't grip enough to use high range, so we turtled along. Once chained up with my brothe and me sitting on the from as ballast, we pulled that log like nothing into the woods. Now just to tie up some loose ends, and change it to chain drive the pump. Pictures should follow by the weekend.