• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:17 PM

On the topic of GFCI's....I find that they trip much too easy.

If I run a circular saw, let up on the trigger switch then hit it again, it trips.

I hate GFCI's period.

I'm done now.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#17 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Odd, back in late 70's I built my first house. Did all of it. I worked in a True Value at time. Thought those push-in outlets were the Cat's Meow then. They Did have a gauge to make sure you strip long enough. did whole house that way and was great for years. Sold it and moved with GM later. Then, I was told by others that they were not good and caused arcing  and loosened, etc. I just thought hmmm!  I wonder if they ever had problem at the old place. I DID use 12 gauge wire all around, and now the new outlets won't even let bigger than a 14 gauge into them. Anything I do now at other places has the screws used, even tho a PIA to bend wire around correct to fit nice. Using 14 gauge for that is much easier.  12 gauge is used for 20 amp circuits and those outlets are rated at only 15, so they corrected that problem. 

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#18 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 10:16 PM

First time I ever saw those was about two months back on a work site. I watched the electrician and couldn't figure out what he was doing, so I went over and asked. He showed me, and my thought was NOT in my house !! Seems a lot of electrical stuff has just gotten sleazy. :(

But I know plumbers that used to cuss my PVC drains as "sissy" But come on, PVC is just way better than cast iron with lead and oakum seals, have you ever burned yourself in a crawl space filling a saddle with molten lead??? I have, and I truly loved it when they came out with PVC drain pipe and fittings.but gee the only thing that flowed thru there was you know what anyway. :rolling:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#19 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 11:43 PM

Amen to what all of you have said. There may be a place to take short cuts/ the easy way out, but not where the safety of my family is concerned. Be safe.