WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Rant for Wednesday!!

Spent half a day yesterday removing/rewiring these exact connectors in a friend's house-->.  CLICK HERE

As there was a recent GFCI main panel installation these dang things don't connect the wires well and when a sizable load is applied it pops the breaker off..  Yeah, they are great for the installers as it is quick and easy to just push the wires into it and presto-, you're done!  Problem is that they just don't connect the wires very well & the contacting surface is small due to the design..  I can't believe they got these things approved in the first place..  Unbelievable!!  If somebody uses these on an old style main panel I can see them heating up and we all know what that could cause..  The owner plugged a saw into the 2nd plug in a 6-plug run and it popped..  It won't happen again as I wired the thing wire-to wire..  

I'll NEVER use any of these things when I wire anything!!!  EVER!!

End of rant!!

• MH81, KennyP, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 12:01 PM

Tell us how you really feel  :poke: ..... I feel your pain.. only mine is of the 12 volt variety I hate those bullit connectors for they always rust and corrode. Why do they sell have the junk they sell.. ohh cause people are to lazy to fix it right.. Once those connectors fail they take it to a shop then they wonder why they get charged more then the quote from the first fix. ... Dodge is bad for this.. The rear main harness plug is right behind the front left tire on their trucks.. right in the splash zone.. right in the rock hitting it zone.. To top it off they don't even wrap it for protection.. Thanks dodge..  One more... well.. they have a tie rod recall.. yaa some good that is.. Three months to get in to get it fixed, Good job again Dodge. They recommend NOT driving the truck.. uhh.. how about a loaner or buy the pile of crap back.. jack wads... 

• Jack and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 12:03 PM

The easier they make it for new guys the worse it gets to use.

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 12:38 PM

I don't like that at all. I don't like when electricians use those outlet that have push in holes for wires. its not enough contact surface. Over time wires loosen up and cause problems.
  • Jack, WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 12:47 PM

I don't like that at all. I don't like when electricians use those outlet that have push in holes for wires. its not enough contact surface. Over time wires loosen up and cause problems.

You mean like ever damn socket in this mobile home I live in. I have 4 that need replacing now. The whole problem is the wire is loose.

#6 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 01:06 PM

TERMINAL BLOCK PLUGGABLE, 4POS, 18-12AW

^ Note: it does say POS in the name of it.

Edited by Jack, January 29, 2014 - 01:07 PM.

• MH81, WNYTractorTinkerer and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 01:13 PM

TERMINAL BLOCK PLUGGABLE, 4POS, 18-12AW

^ Note: it does say POS in the name of it.

Truth in advertising

• MH81 and Jack have said thanks

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 01:21 PM

I pulled  many of them off the 3 wires by hand..  Something wrong with that picture?  I don't know how anybody else feels, but My home is too valuable to trust to that device!   :shoot2:

#9 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 01:51 PM

You mean like ever damn socket in this mobile home I live in. I have 4 that need replacing now. The whole problem is the wire is loose.

I like the outlets that have clamp on side. Those push in type should not be made not enough contact area just piece metal clamps wire.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:35 PM

I like the outlets that have clamp on side. Those push in type should not be made not enough contact area just piece metal clamps wire.

I've never had any trouble with the push in kind of receptacle.  I used them all over my last house.  Really only because I bought like 50 of them in a box at a flea market for 10 bucks. 

I usually grab the type with the clamp out of habit.

I have however had bad luck with the extension cord ends that the wire shoves into and grips vs the screw down type.  The push in style all of them melted under heavy use with a circular saw or reciprocating saw.

#11 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:54 PM

My friend had electrical issues at his house (dim lights dead receptacles) and we traced the wiring along one side of the house. It turned out to be the first receptacle from the circuit breaker. At one time someone had an air conditioner plugged in that was drawing more current than the receptacle was rated for and melted it and the box. Whoever did the wiring used those quick connect holes instead of making a good electrical connection under the provided screw terminals (dumss ass).

• jms180 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 03:07 PM

I used to work for electrician. We never used them. Only side clamps. You should be able to use a small flat blade there is release the wire on the back of the outlet they have a small spring. Or we just cut them off. Most people have no concept of electric. Once saw a panel with a piece of dowl wedged against breaker. Homeowner said it kept tripping
  • WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres and HANKG have said thanks

#13 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 03:09 PM

I always buy and use the type with the screws, takes a bit more to hook up but its done for good.

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 05:15 PM

if it's quicker and cheaper, you can guarantee they will use it.  it seems pride in product and workmanship has flown the coop for profit!

Tom

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 05:50 PM

I have been wiring homes for over thirty years & used them one time on a job. When I turned the light circuits on a third of the can lights didn't come on because of this junk. I have never used them again. I won't use the push pins on receptacles either...they will arc & trip a breaker.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks