• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 10:29 PM

is there any rhyme or reason to what size carb was used on the K series?   Everything I see says the 12 HPs (K or M series) has #26s but I have 2, M12's here with #30 carbs.  I don't think they have been changed out either, judging by the paint on them I am thinking these carbs are original to the engines... 

What determined what size carb was used with a given engine, and why would 2 of same model series (say  K 301 for example) have 2 different sized carbs?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 11:28 PM

My reading leads me to believe the following:

26 = k241/k301

28 = k301  (if you can find one)

30 = k321/k341 

I have heard of 30s being used on the k301 but have no experience with them.  I know my k301 runs great with the 26 installed on it. I would rather chance a 30 than fight another walbro (and my 312 has a Walbro on it :wallbanging: )  

• Alc said thank you

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:45 AM

Where do you find the carb size ? Do the sizes mean anything as far as say #30 has a throttle bore of 30mm ? If it's not hard to find I will try to see what's on my 2 12hp Kohlers on the PKs

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Where do you find the carb size ? Do the sizes mean anything as far as say #30 has a throttle bore of 30mm ? If it's not hard to find I will try to see what's on my 2 12hp Kohlers on the PKs

Venturi bore, and yes in MM.

Usually casted on the mouth of the carb or for Carter looking inside the carb (choke side) on the venturi.

#5 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 12:22 PM

I am running a #26 on a K321. No problems with lean running.

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 07:59 PM

ok then.... next question.  I know there is some adjustability due to the mixture screws... but the actual jetting isn't changeable within the carb. While trying a carb from a K91 on my 301s would be stupid/crazy, I have a pair of the M 12 version of the 12 HP)  with "30" carbs and seem to run just fine without seeming to be too rich. . Levi says in the post above this one he has a #26 on a 321....smaller carb than me, on a bigger engine. Mine being electronic ignition with no timing adjustment,  and his being a point ignition with timing variable based on point gap /and wear-condition/ making a difefrence in carb requirements? 

Are the main jets and such the same, on "all" carbs of a given size no matter the HP rating of the engine it is put onto? 

meaning (in my case) my #30s are jetted the same as ones that would come on a K341 (16HP)?

I do understand that application itself dictates not only  mixture settings but jetting too.

so on a constant, high load application they put a carb with a different size venturi  in order to (also) increase jetted size?

why else would we have kohler putting larger carbs on some engines of the same HP than others?

I wonder with all else being equal ,if there is much of an actual  HP difference between engines of the same displacement but a different sized carb? same exhaust, same load, same overall condition, etc?

Briggs in particular seems to be able to greatly vary the HP of a model line just by applying a different carb especially on the older L heads.. 10 HP 11 HP 12 HP 12.5 HP  all being the same displacement but different power ratings.... though stickers are cheap to print and stick onto engines off the same assembly line...

#7 WpgJetFan OFFLINE  

WpgJetFan
  • Member No: 55287
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 01:44 PM

http://gardentractor...om/carbfuel.htm

All of the Kohler carb info you need is here

• KennyP said thank you