• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:19 PM

I have a 1972 110. Restoring it and currently rebuilding the engine. Should the engine on it be painted green or should it be black? How about the hydraulic lift pump etc that is mounted on top of the engine? Green or black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Check out the photo galleries. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:58 PM

I have a 1972 110. Restoring it and currently rebuilding the engine. Should the engine on it be painted green or should it be black? How about the hydraulic lift pump etc that is mounted on top of the engine? Green or black.

I think that pump is yellow...it is on a 112 that a friend of my has...

• trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Eng will be black as will the fuel tank the pump for your hydraulic lift will be black as well

• trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Engine color changed in 1970 across the Deere line due to changes on the Custom Color line:

Originally when they were released in 1969 the entire tractor was painted in Dogwood White except for the hood and seat, of course. This included such things as the engine, fuel tank, mower deck attachment linkage, and the mule drive on certain models. John Deere found that the white paint on the engine had a tendency to stain. Also this meant that more parts had to be painted separately. So, for 1970, black paint was used on the engine, fuel tank, mower attachment linkages and some other items. This way these parts could be used on both the custom color and the green lawn and garden tractors without separate painting being done. Even though the engine on the Custom Color 140 was changed to black in 1970, the air cleaner cover remained in white. The seat base is unique to Custom Colored tractors in that it is textured and not smooth like the green tractors.

#6 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Looking though my sales books they don't show a nice pic of the 110 only the 112 I guess they were trying to sell the the upgrade

#7 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:26 PM

On mine engine and hydraulic was all green but I suspect some one painted it that way after production as the paint job is poor and some areas are still mostly black. I want it factory colors when I'm done. Thanks all for your replies.

#8 Jd100 OFFLINE  

Jd100
  • Member No: 52592
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:42 PM

I'm not to sure on the colors but make sure you use heat resistant paint on the head and maybe the block to because regular paint won't take the heat. Heat resistant paint is kinda expensive but in the long run it is worth it.

#9 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 05:07 PM

I used John Deere muffler black paint on my 120.  It is not glossy and it is not flat either.  After one season of use the cooling fins are a dark charcoal gray/black and the housings are fine.  

• Delmar said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 05:41 PM

I used John Deere muffler black paint on my 120.  It is not glossy and it is not flat either.  After one season of use the cooling fins are a dark charcoal gray/black and the housings are fine.  

Rutland Stove black enamel paint, not flat, nice sheen.

• Delmar and Trav1s have said thanks

#11 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 11:46 AM

No question the engine is going to be black. I have searched online for pictures and that part makes sense. The hydraulic pump however seems hard to find info on. I have yet to find a pic where the pump is black. I have seen them yellow and one I saw was white. Mine is green and does not show evidence of a repaint like the engine had. Could it have been green from factory?

#12 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 01:53 PM

No question the engine is going to be black. I have searched online for pictures and that part makes sense. The hydraulic pump however seems hard to find info on. I have yet to find a pic where the pump is black. I have seen them yellow and one I saw was white. Mine is green and does not show evidence of a repaint like the engine had. Could it have been green from factory?

Production year determines the "proper" color of the engine.  Prior to '70 the standard engine was green on a green tractor and white on a custom color machine.  Here is my quote from above that is lifted from the WFM website.

Originally when they were released in 1969 the entire tractor was painted in Dogwood White except for the hood and seat, of course. This included such things as the engine, fuel tank, mower deck attachment linkage, and the mule drive on certain models. John Deere found that the white paint on the engine had a tendency to stain. Also this meant that more parts had to be painted separately. So, for 1970, black paint was used on the engine, fuel tank, mower attachment linkages and some other items. This way these parts could be used on both the custom color and the green lawn and garden tractors without separate painting being done. Even though the engine on the Custom Color 140 was changed to black in 1970, the air cleaner cover remained in white. The seat base is unique to Custom Colored tractors in that it is textured and not smooth like the green tractors.

Edited by Trav1s, May 25, 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#13 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 02:28 PM

mine is a 1972 . Engine color has been established. its the hydraulic pump etc that mounts on top of the engine that I'm wondering about.

#14 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 02:57 PM

Sorry... I will do some digging but would also expect it to be black...