Been So Lucky

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zam OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49488
  • 62 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 12:45 AM

I am only 16 but have been so lucky on finding and saving history one piece at a time ,I haven't paid a thing for any of it (which i am thankful for ). People my age don't respect their history even if all i'm saving is lawn mowers and cassettes. Instead of a 100 dollar Ipod all I want is either lawn mower parts or cassettes from the thrift store. I have many thing from many people much older than me : I have a Channel Master 8 track player and 20 or so 8 tracks , Pioneer record player and 30 of my own records plus my dads records from his collage days , my dads TEAC cassette player which i use every day and 300 or so cassettes . my tractor collection includes a 1973 cub cadet 129 which i saved up all summer to buy it and the guy didn't want any thing for it i use it for plowing and pulling things around the yard. my newly acquire 1968 John Deere 112h in about 300 millon pieces (came from the brother i got the cub from ) the hydros out and that will be this summers project. I was lucky enough to find some rare little lawn mower 2 Swiser Big Mows (From 2 different people) they both look so homemade and cute at the same time, I am doing an engine rebuild in one of them and the other is my main little workhorse that I have used for several year. I am just so thankful for history itself .Be thankful and have a nice day.
  • NUTNDUN, olcowhand, MH81 and 14 others have said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,670 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 05:04 AM

Welcome to GTT!

I can't say I am a collector of 8 track tapes, but I have quite a few and some still work!

I have a player in the garage and once in a while I will play one of my "Old time rock & roll" tapes!

Oh yeah, I just went down memory lane.

• hamman, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 955 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I like the old Big Mowers, never had one but always on the outlook for one in my area.

Welcome to GT Talk.
  • hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,481 Thanks
  • 7,354 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Check out our manuals section where you can download 3 for free per day. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,668 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Glad to see another young man recognizing that some history should be saved and one who isn't afraid to be thankful for the chance.
My son has some of my old stuff. He enjoys listening to my old tapes and records (they're his as far as I'm concerned) I even have a reel to reel somewhere he was asking about.
I just gave him my old "150 in one" electronics kit,from the early 8o's"
It's funny to watch him go thru my old stuff, you'd think it was Christmas.

When you get a chance, we'd love to see pics of any of the stuff you are trying to save.
  • hamman, Chopperhed, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 jms180 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 860 Thanks
  • 1,154 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Welcome to GTT glad to see a young guy that wants to do some things other than video games. Rock on man.
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#7 Guest_Fluid_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 28, 2014 - 08:38 AM

I wasn't sure I read the post right, yea 16 years old and is interested in history? Plus interested is saving history. I wish I could shake your hand zam and then thank your folks for raising you. I went to bed thinking how low man has come with all the bad things man does and today wake to your story here zam. Man you made my day. Its so refreshing to read about your projects and interests and outlook on life. You are going somewhere in life zam.  Thank You so much for your post and hope to read about your projects in the future.  

• Chopperhed, Sawdust and zam have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 09:06 AM

Don't find many like you, great job on saving some history!

I have a ton of old cassettes I should send you, going to go to waste stored in my basement, I'll never listen to them again. Got some old 33's and still have my dad's 8 track collection and actually a removable 8 track player from his old truck, bet it still works!

• Chopperhed, Sawdust and zam have said thanks

#9 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 09:15 AM

welcome, and good attitudes!

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Nice story Zam, I never cared for the word lucky I would rather call you blessed including those that know you. It is refreshing to hear someone your age appreciate history & restoring it for someone else to enjoy. My son is twenty & he is like that, he hears my oldies & quickly begins singing. Keep us posted on your projects as well as your thoughts. 

• oldedeeres, Chopperhed and zam have said thanks

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,532 Thanks
  • 3,073 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 12:53 PM

Welcome aboard, from one of the oldest to one of the youngest, I loved the old eight tracks too. Interesting stuff you collect.

• MH81, Chopperhed and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Good to see another younger person like myself interested in this stuff. :thumbs:

#13 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Good to see another younger person like myself interested in this stuff. :thumbs:

.Be thankful and have a nice day.

Thanks both of you for keeping the spirit alive.
Welcome to the forums.

We are all pic/video addicts.

please send some, please, pretty please, ppppprettttttttyyyyyyPleez
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 08:30 PM

I was the same way as a kid. But turning 30 tomorrow cassettes were all we had when I was a kid and most of the tractors we collect now we're still common place.

But it's good to see someone younger liking the old stuff! Pass it on to your kids when you have them one day
  • oldedeeres, Chopperhed and zam have said thanks