DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 10:03 AM

These are pictures of my sleeve hitch, this is a copy of the original one made by an mtf member.
It is not an exact copy, the main bars are smaller 2" wide instead of 2 1/4 or 2 1/2, can't remember which is right, the tube is a smaller wall thickness, aside from that it's the same.
The weakest part of my hitch is the tube only because of the wall thickness, I think originals are 1/4 thick.

MH81 I'd say your son did pretty good, changes I'd make
1- the tube should be 3 1/2" long
2- the main bars instead of 2" go for 2 1/4 or 2 1/2.
my bars are 2" only because at the time that's all he had for material.
3- your 9.375 on mine is 11.25"
the center main piece on mine is 4.5" long (lift bar on the main frame)

I have 1 sleeve hitch cultivator and the opening for the hitch is about 3 5/8".
The hitch is all thick steel you will have no problem with weld strength just turn up the welder, multiple passes.
The 2 lifting bars 3/16" material.

sleeve hitch 003.jpg
sleeve hitch 005.jpg

The weakest part of the hitch no matter which way you make it is the 4 mounting bolts that attach the 2 lower brackets to the tractor, not thick enough, mine have nylon lock nuts on them as I find without they vibrate loose.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• sleeve hitch 001.jpg
  • sleeve hitch 002.jpg
  • sleeve hitch 004.jpg

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 10:27 AM

These are pictures of my sleeve hitch, this is a copy of the original one made by an mtf member.
It is not an exact copy, the main bars are smaller 2" wide instead of 2 1/4 or 2 1/2, can't remember which is right, the tube is a smaller wall thickness, aside from that it's the same.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Doug!
Quick question... When you say it's a copy, do you mean of a MF original, or of an original unit built by another GT collector?

I appreciate the help!

#18 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Doug!
Quick question... When you say it's a copy, do you mean of a MF original, or of an original unit built by another GT collector?

I appreciate the help!

Fellow who made it has an MF original that he used to make the one I have.
At one time I had an original that I traded for some other Massey part's, the one I now have (in the pictures) looks just like the original one that I use to have except for the changes noted.

#19 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hey Doug, I love those trailer balls... I take it they were turned down on a lathe to fit the sleeve hitch? I love it, I know that I am going to borrow that idea!

#20 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hey Doug, I love those trailer balls... I take it they were turned down on a lathe to fit the sleeve hitch? I love it, I know that I am going to borrow that idea!

They came with the hitch, I got both 1 7/8 and 2"
Looks like he just welded on a piece of 3/4" round stock and drilled a hole for a pin.

sleeve hitch.jpg

#21 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 01:50 AM

Also if you raise the box blade stand on it, jump up and down you can see the frame of the tractor flexing, something to consider when adding rear weight to the tractor.

There is a splice in the hydro's frame just ahead of the axle. Heavy loads on the back cause a little flex, but if you want to see big flex, fasten the front blade harness to the front of the tractor instead of the rear hitch for pushing. You will break the weld on that splice over time as the back wheels keep going forward when the blade stops the front of the tractor.

I broke my 12H in half 3 times with the FEL before I wised up and fixed the subframe to prevent the problem.

Always push a front mount implement from the back plate or the rear axle.