1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:20 PM

What is the difference between the standard twin and the Viking twin? See adds for both. I cant see much of a difference but maybe im missing something.

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,727 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 10:44 AM

I guess nobody else wanted to take a stab at this so I'll try. May be hard without pictures. The Viking twin had 3 different models. The model B started in about 26. It's the one depicted in the early ads with the long shift lever coming up to the handles. It had a totally different engine with a shroud that reminds me of a 2 cyl Wisconsin and open valves. The Standard twin started in 34. The model F Viking used the Standard Twin engine but the gearbox was different. The thing that stands out on the gearbox is that it has 2 triangle shaped plates on the sides and one is upside down of the other. There was a slight difference in hubs as well. The Viking also had an engine cover with a hood and side curtains. The fuel tank on the Viking went front to back while the Standard went side to side. The F was short lived. I've seen 35 and 36 dates but don't think i've ever seen a 34 but they may have been made then.  In 37 they went to a model CF. It had the same gearbox as the twin but still had the engine house. The wheels changed to a big cast hub with holes in it. At some point I believe the engine house was eliminated and they were the same tractor as the twin. As for advertising, they probably used the same generic picture. At the end of production in the late 50's everything carried the Viking name.

• Bob IN and RAWPWR have said thanks