• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:53 AM

These last two cold snaps, we've had a BUNCH of phone calls on dishwashers that suddenly stopped working. They're on an outside wall, boxed off from the house heat... Pipe underneath froze.

A few had the water valve burst but most are blocked lines. If you are taking other precautions, take the kick panel off your dishwasher. Might keep you from having soggy socks in the morning.
  • olcowhand, Alc, jms180 and 3 others have said thanks

#17 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 08:08 AM

These last two cold snaps, we've had a BUNCH of phone calls on dishwashers that suddenly stopped working. They're on an outside wall, boxed off from the house heat... Pipe underneath froze.

A few had the water valve burst but most are blocked lines. If you are taking other precautions, take the kick panel off your dishwasher. Might keep you from having soggy socks in the morning.

That is interesting, don't know that I've ever seen that particular issue.  Years ago I worked at an apartment community which had the laundry upstairs which backed onto the attic.  The washer drains were exposed to the attic space, and the traps would freeze.  First warning a resident would have was when the laundry machine started spewing water on the floor!  Destroyed several ceilings that way before I started insulating those drains.

• MH81, Alc, jms180 and 1 other said thanks