6 replies to this topic

#1 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 01:27 PM

i have a john deere 318 with a sundstrand 90 in it and was wondering of there is a way to change the direction of the input shaft. the reason i am asking this is because i want to put a different engine in this, but it rotates opposite of the original engine

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,593 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 01:50 PM

YES, it can be done.  I did the same with my Bush Hog JBI diesel repower HERE

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Wouldn't that mean you are just putting eng in backwards from norm?  You need to run off flywheel side instead of shaft side? Or vice versa.

#4 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Wouldn't that mean you are just putting eng in backwards from norm?  You need to run off flywheel side instead of shaft side? Or vice versa.

yes it would rotate backwards from the normal because im not putting a gt engine in it that turns the other way and i cant put it in backwards without more modification.

YES, it can be done.  I did the same with my Bush Hog JBI diesel repower HERE

when you did this daniel is all you had to do was turn the charge pump housing 180, can you leave the linkage on the same side or does it have to be changed to to keep it where its at now?

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,593 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:13 PM

when you did this daniel is all you had to do was turn the charge pump housing 180, can you leave the linkage on the same side or does it have to be changed to to keep it where its at now?

Well, with mine I had to fab all linkages, so I needed to swap linkage sides.  That's been a while, and all the engineering thoughts have evaded me by now, so I can't remember if the linkages in stock configuration will leave forward as forward or not.  I started from scratch, so I just started it up, seen which way did forward, then built all my linkages accordingly.  If it reverses things, you would need to flip the linkage on the rock shaft, but you could leave it on the same side.  We need Tudor to chime in on this.  I'll try to get him here.

• nbent said thank you

#6 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Well, with mine I had to fab all linkages, so I needed to swap linkage sides.  That's been a while, and all the engineering thoughts have evaded me by now, so I can't remember if the linkages in stock configuration will leave forward as forward or not.  I started from scratch, so I just started it up, seen which way did forward, then built all my linkages accordingly.  If it reverses things, you would need to flip the linkage on the rock shaft, but you could leave it on the same side.  We need Tudor to chime in on this.  I'll try to get him here.

thanks i might not start this project for a while but im trying to gather info. when i do start it i can get pics to help along the way, but first i have to get the engine rebuilt 

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,593 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:28 PM

I sent Bob an email.  I'm sure he'll be here shortly.