• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#31 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:29 PM

I just got cooking propane and fuel oil,, the LPG was 4.00 a gal and the #2 was 3.50 a gal.  Even though that sounds spendy I have zero intention of switching fuels as there is no free lunch, seems you will either pay cash, time or effort to stay warm.

• Username, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#32 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 05:14 PM

One thing I wish I could do is remodel our kitchen and add a spot for a wood cook stove.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#33 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Turned down the heat to 58, brrrr!   

untitled heat.png

• boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#34 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Turned down the heat to 58, brrrr!

untitled heat.png

if I had to use cash to keep warm id freeze...
  • boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and A.C.T. have said thanks

#35 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Anything above $1.80/gal. for propane, it becomes cheaper for me to run electric heat - mostly due to a poorly installed furnace.  At $4.00/gal it is without a doubt cheaper to run my 4800 watt, 220 volt electric space heater. 

Been right around 0 [F] last two mornings and right at 25 [F] for highs the last two days and the furnace hasn't even kicked on. 

• Alc, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#36 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 01:38 AM

We locked in and were lucky. Yesterday a local news station had a report that north of us a company was offering to new customers (the other companies don't have any gas) a contract at $7.00 per gallon :mad2:  :mad2:  some don't have a choice but to sign up or freeze.

They are the only gas company around here, what's a guy to do? Oh I know. Short piece of rope and a tall tree! Nothing worst than taking advantage of others in a time of need.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#37 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:40 AM

it becomes cheaper for me to run electric heat

My mom has oil heat but she has little 120v space heaters in her kitchen and tv room where she sits mostly so she might has the furnce set to 65f but can be a little warmer in those rooms .

• Gtractor, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#38 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:54 AM

I just got cooking propane and fuel oil,, the LPG was 4.00 a gal and the #2 was 3.50 a gal.  Even though that sounds spendy I have zero intention of switching fuels as there is no free lunch, seems you will either pay cash, time or effort to stay warm.

The free heat is solar but it is sun dependant and you have to build the house correctly in the first place. Even with everything going wrong here, I get more than half my heat from solar. Good Luck, Rick

• Team_Green, A.C.T. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#39 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:05 AM

We locked in and were lucky. Yesterday a local news station had a report that north of us a company was offering to new customers (the other companies don't have any gas) a contract at $7.00 per gallon :mad2:  :mad2:  some don't have a choice but to sign up or freeze.

They are the only gas company around here, what's a guy to do? Oh I know. Short piece of rope and a tall tree! Nothing worst than taking advantage of others in a time of need.

That makes me SICK.  It goes to show you how our fellow man looks out for each other.

• boyscout862, A.C.T. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#40 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:26 AM

I was told a guy who ownes a large gas business down in SC was offered a ton of money to sell his supplies up north- he told them no - he wanted to make sure he had enough for his regular customers. So there are good guys too. Just a shame when business's take advantage of a customer. I have had it done to me, once I have gotten past the crisis, I never did business with them again. We can vote with our dollars on the back side. Hope all get what they need to survive this cold weather where ever they may live.

#41 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:00 PM

The free heat is solar but it is sun dependant and you have to build the house correctly in the first place. Even with everything going wrong here, I get more than half my heat from solar. Good Luck, Rick

Now this solar stuff I am interested in.  I wouldnt care if I couldnt replace all the fossil fuel used here but 1/2 would be sweet, the problem becomes cost of equipment vs the savings.  One of the bigger stumbling blocks here is the fact I only use about 650 gal per year for heating and hot water. The cooking gas is no biggie it was 90 bux just a bad time to have it filled and I think they show up every 4 or 6 mos.  I had an elec stove but replaced it with gas for power outage reasons and cost difference to run is not worth bothering with. I could switch back to E as everything is still in place to do so, just have to find an E stove that isnt a pos.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#42 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:06 PM

Now this solar stuff I am interested in.  I wouldnt care if I couldnt replace all the fossil fuel used here but 1/2 would be sweet, the problem becomes cost of equipment vs the savings.  One of the bigger stumbling blocks here is the fact I only use about 650 gal per year for heating and hot water. The cooking gas is no biggie it was 90 bux just a bad time to have it filled and I think they show up every 4 or 6 mos.  I had an elec stove but replaced it with gas for power outage reasons and cost difference to run is not worth bothering with. I could switch back to E as everything is still in place to do so, just have to find an E stove that isnt a pos.

Let some dust out that wallet ya cheap bugger..  :poke:  You do solar first so i can learn from you..  :smilewink:

• twostep and A.C.T. have said thanks

#43 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:29 PM

Your house is facing the south, which is part of the process, now just spend some money and get to it!!

#44 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 03:03 PM

Oh man ,,,, spend money, that can be a problem,,, Im good friends with my pennies :love: .  Actually I have been thinking more and more about doing this, I was thinking about trying it on a small scale for the shop since its a smaller area and if it doesnt work out not much lost and/or it would be a building block for a much larger system for the house. 

#45 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Oh man ,,,, spend money, that can be a problem,,, Im good friends with my pennies :love: .  

Understatement of the year????   :poke:

• A.C.T. said thank you