• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#16 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 01:45 AM

I also smell a rat.I bet the price don't drop as fast as it went up when the LP starts flowing again.
Until then I hope everyone stays warm and safe.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#17 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 03:59 AM

Welcome to the World of big business, its all about charging more for less, so a bunch of scumbag's in suits can sit in front of a board somewhere and try to figure how to swindle every last cent out of the middle class.   :wallbanging:   Worst part is I don't see it getting any better for any of us. Hope every one makes out ok 

• hamman, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:11 AM

Propane is always high here. Not many people use it for central heating. It is commonly used for cooking and for fireplaces. I read recently that NG is cheap now because of all the new gas sources being found using fracking. This is predicted to keep the price down on gas for a while. I think heating oil is something like 1.30/L here which would be about 5$/us gallon. So it can run 900$ to fill an almost empty 200gallon tank. Your best investment is to try to insulate and draft proof your home. You then use less of whatever type of fuel you choose.

• hamman, boyscout862, twostep and 3 others have said thanks

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:50 AM

I suggest everyone invest in a wood burning furnace for their homes.  I know this isn't an option for everyone.  But it is a major cost saver.  

I can get home from work, the house is 65, warm it up to 68 with the oil awhile I'm getting a fire going.  Furnace kicks off, doesn't run again till around 6 or 7 am.  So 13 to 14 hours of no oil usage furnace, with about 25 14" pieces of wood.  Depending on outside temps, winds, ect, and depending on how on the spot I am with maintaining the fire, I average between 70 and 78 degrees inside the house.  My "goal" is 72.  Wife would prefer 78!

This raises my electric bill up, because I just turn on a small blower and keep it going awhile there is still heat in the fire box.  Adds 15 to 20 bucks a month.  But 15 to 20 bucks will only buy you a few gallons of oil

That saves you some cash, if you can get wood either cheaply or free. 

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 27, 2014 - 09:17 AM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 08:39 AM

My wife has been thinking she would like one of those gas fireplaces like her friend has ,they have NG but we don't so we would have to go the propane route . After talking to others that had propane fireplaces and this thread I'm sure we aren't getting one.

• hamman, boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#21 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 09:12 AM

I've heard all kinds of stories as to why the price is up, including the corn crop, obama sent a bunch over seas and the cold winter snaps. Who knows, they may all be true or false. But they are rationing LP around here, some at 100 gallons to 200 gallons max. My best friend just had his ration of 150 gallons the other day and his company charged $6.35 a gallon. I am thankful I have 45% in my 1000 gallon tank which should last me through this spell.

Same around here. There was a guy at work that boought propane for 6.25 a gallon and could only get a 100 gllon. They told him that they wouldn't be surprised if they see it go up to 8 or 9 dollars a gallon.....horriable. how are people soppose to pay thos prices
  • Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#22 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 09:46 AM

There are many greedy rats involved. As a Boyscout I take "Be Prepared" very seriously. Cost, shortages, emergencies, and natural disastors mean that the house should be able to function without outside energy.

I built my house passive solar with wood backup. The house is super insulated (8" walls, 12" ceiling) and has 9 south facing sliding glass doors. Years ago when we had more sunny days, I wouldn't have to burn wood unless there was three cloudy days in a row.

A cord of hard wood in a decent woodstove will give the same amount of heat as 200 gallons of heating oil. I burn 3 cords usually but this year has few sunny days and lower temps. Normally I save 600 gallons or $2400 dollars worth of oil. I have many acres of black oak forest so my wood only costs $100 of gas and diesel per year and a dozen days of cutting, splitting, transporting, and stacking. Even if you pay $200 for a cord, you will still be $600 ahead. With taxes these days, you have to earn $900 to spend $600. It makes wood seem alot more reasonable.

What can you do now? There may not be anything you can do now if you don't have a spare good condition chimney flue. Plan for the future. If you have the flue, put a woodstove in your basement. Heat rises and will spread through your house. I do not recommend woodstoves with blowers because if the electricity goes out you may not be able to use them. In the spring and summer there are often very low priced used woodstoves. Get a good air tight that has a flat top section for cooking on. Saturday, near me, was a Jensen wood/coal furnace in excellant condition for $250. I already have one so I passed. Be sure to follow all codes for safety. The added benefit is that if there is a big storm, and the power goes out, you can stay living in the house. You will just need a generator for the well pump occassionally.

This summer you can look at up grading the heat/cooling efficiency of your house. There are many low cost and low tech things that you can do. Adding weatherstripping, and insulation are two low cost techiques that usually pay off big. Adding homemade solar hot air collectors( sometimes known as heat grabbers) can save money next winter. See Mother Earth News for plans in their archives.

A solar greenhouse(on your south side) can bring in alot of heat if done right but can be very expensive.

One thing everyone can do is turn down the thermostat. A 3 degree drop on the temperature will use 10% less energy. At these prices that can be alot. Good Luck and stay warm, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 27, 2014 - 12:34 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse and 9 others have said thanks

#23 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Got lucky here.  Just put in 300 gallons the other day, and luckily had contracted in the summer with the local farmers cooperative.  Feel awkward saying this, but contracted for less than $1.30 a gallon.  Had heard snippets about there being a propane shortage but nothing major until recently...now wish I would have put in 500-600 gallons instead, but was thinking more with my wallet than thinking about how cold it was still to come and perhaps a shortage. 

Here's hoping everyone here stays warm and doesn't have to deal with not getting fuel to heat...no matter what kind it is.  Stay Warm and Safe out there!!

• hamman, sacsr, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#24 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 10:42 AM

I talked to a freind on Saturday, he was telling me about the shrotage, they wouldn't even come give him a fill until he was down around 10% left, then he was only allowed a half tank. He didn't tell me the price.

My mom just bought 243 gals of fuel oil, a whopping $920. Glad she get old people's public assistance and get 2 tanks a year free. Once we move in, the old wood burner furnace add on will get fired up and ran as much as possible cause I am not paying that much.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 11:26 AM

We are all electric so I expect to see the fall out from the "shortage" shortly.... I grew up on a wood stove and will have one in our house by next fall.

I hadn't heard anything about a shortage then last Friday I filled a 30lb tank and got a dose of sticker shock when he told me that it was $45.

Edited by twostep, January 27, 2014 - 11:26 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#26 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,881 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:02 PM

Between the grill and the fish house, I have 3 20's and a 30 pound cylinder laying around here. Another week of this crap and I should be able to cash them in and buy another gt.

We finally had a year where the corn crop used more propane than expected. Instant crisis.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#27 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 02:12 PM

Folks, this is a quote from my Dad; " every piece of wood I put in the stove is another oil barron'$ €|£do goin' where the sun don't shine"
Oh and dad is far more colorful than what I typed LOL.
  • hamman, sacsr, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#28 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 123 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 02:33 PM

As a low use residential propane customer, I have been paying over $4.00 a gal for over a year.  Luckily I don't use much as we heat & make hot water (in the winter) with coal.  Propane used to be cheaper than oil for equilvalent energy, not anymore.

Skip

• hamman, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 2 others have said thanks

#29 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Several years ago, my wife and I decided to quit having to rely on the "system" for our basic survival and comfort. We installed a pedestal wood-burning stove. We've heated with that exclusively this winter, mostly with "free" red oak that I've come across. The only thing it cost me was my own labor and some fuel to get it to the back yard. It's cold and blustery outside, but we're at a comfy 74 degrees in the house!!! I love it! It's the best investment we've ever made.

I really feel for those being affected by the so-called shortage. I hope you get some relief soon.

• hamman, boyscout862, Nato77 and 3 others have said thanks

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Wow I just felt the burn of oil. My wife called.me this afternoon and told me the furnace was broke. I'm 120 miles away in wv. I send my dad up the furnace is out of oil...500 bucks worth pretty chappy price during a cold snap lol
  • boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks