• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:49 PM

Looking deeper i was able to find a place for replacement knives call Sickle Service.

Seems the Knives are a little different then the ones for Jarie, what we used to replace the Knives on the David Bradley.

The Simplicity knives were 2'' x 2 3/4'' with 3 rivet holes, were you able to find another source for the knives for your sickles ?

Steve has a 5 foot sickle bar for his Gravly packed into the barn, he used it in his field when the grass got too tall.

I have horses also, hay is higher then hell in price, every little bit helps.

Yes I was able to get blades, stone guards, rivets and pitman bar at tractor supply. John Deere still sells most of the other parts you just have a long turnaround.  I have found one for a Gravely but the guy wants a lot for it.   Yea the price for hay high, so to help, I plow my pasture so the horses can get to the grass easier. I bet I plowed 50 acres of pasture so far this year with my Gravely. Do you have a baler, tedder, rake, ect.?    I'll have to check out Sickle Service and see what they got.   

• trowel said thank you

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:04 AM

Your talking knives for the Simplicity Sickle at TSC ? Would you by any chance have the part numberss for the knives and rock guard, im interested.

Gravly has always feched a high price, kind of like John Deere.

Naw sold the MF baler, JD belly mounted sickle mower, MF rake and tedder, we just buy now, work with my friend for hay in the summer, we keep it fair, this spring was a joke, rained for almost 2 straight months, fields did not dry out until july, instead of using the JD model B for wagon duty i used the JD 2460 with chains for the soft spots, trucks on the backswath and outer rows.

We never owned a mower/conditioner so the hay dried for 3 days instead of 2 and we raked it more times.

We use to raise beef but now to one american paint horse and two ponies.

Edited by trowel, January 27, 2014 - 12:06 AM.

#18 littlemarv OFFLINE  

littlemarv
  • Member No: 34218
  • 61 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:10 AM

Around here, if a sickle comes up its $400 usually.

Last summer a fellow had a B-112 with a sickle mower on CL. I ran for the phone and called him. I said how much for the tractor and sickle mower- he said $400. I said how much for just the sickle- he said $350. He knew what he had. Still kicking myself for not buying a sickle and getting a tractor for free, but when you ain't got it, you ain't got it, no matter how good the deal.

#19 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:48 AM

Your talking knives for the Simplicity Sickle at TSC ? Would you by any chance have the part numberss for the knives and rock guard, im interested.

Gravly has always feched a high price, kind of like John Deere.

Naw sold the MF baler, JD belly mounted sickle mower, MF rake and tedder, we just buy now, work with my friend for hay in the summer, we keep it fair, this spring was a joke, rained for almost 2 straight months, fields did not dry out until july, instead of using the JD model B for wagon duty i used the JD 2460 with chains for the soft spots, trucks on the backswath and outer rows.

We never owned a mower/conditioner so the hay dried for 3 days instead of 2 and we raked it more times.

We use to raise beef but now to one american paint horse and two ponies.

No I don't have a Simplicity Sickle, I have a JD 39. I think its 7'.   The Gravely sickle is on my wish list, the guy wants $450. To high but I want it so we'll see.  We have 5 horses, 1 donkey and 3 goats who eat a lot as you know. Thats a good deal you have with your friend, we tried something like that but we always got the short end of the stick so we bought worn out stuff and I rebuilt JD 39 sickle bar, 286 NH baler. Bought a new rake, good used tedder and we put up our own hay. Its been 2 years now.  We had a good year here with 3 cuts and sold some to a new neighbors from New Jersey, They have 2 horses. We're hoping for a good 2014.  Sorry I can't help you with any Simplicity part numbers. Good Luck

• trowel said thank you

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 11:43 PM

Yea, set the right price it seems, have yet to call him.

Don't know if i would every really use it.

Gess i need convincing, week wackers kind of took the job.

Peter still uses his John Deere on the hill side, ditches and roadside.