#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 01:57 PM

Have 18 Auto with K582 twin?? think that is model.  I go out and find the tractor has oily stuff under it after parking few days. Never could find drip, figured maybe hydraulics. Today ran it hard plowing snow. Acted kinda funny. Exhaust was changing to louder sound. Found I had choke on a little. Pushed it back and seemed to get better. Loaded up was I?  This thing never has run well at mid throttle or when I come in and shut down, just wanted to surge and hunt or die out.  If choked a little would stay running.  Now today decided to see if I could tweak the carb. Found top of engine case oily, like it was blowing around. There is a tiny oil line there that runs from a pump? to maybe mains in case? fittings looked good, wiggled and seemed good. Was plenty of oil on bottom of air cleaner when I grabbed there. SO, thinking filter might be gooked up. Filter was fine, no oil inside at all. Throat to carb looked clean. The mix screws on this darn carb are on top, right under the cleaner. SO, using two fingers, one from each side to pinch and turn the screws, made adjustment. I barely touched the idle, didn't think I even turned and it smoothed right out. Backed out main jet half turn or so, and it now runs fine at mid-range. I've messed with these this summer. Is there such things a a summer setting and a winter setting for these?  I am running cleaner in gas, wonder if doing some cleaning?? 

OK, so happy it runs better, starts instantly now.  BUT, all this time of running never did see any more oil dripping or spraying in the area. Not sure what to think about that as of yet. Anyone have ideas what to look for?  The two valve spring covers looked good. This engine is much diff than most later twins I have messed with. Seems to have much diff outside pumps and governors and such that are all on inside of newer models. Now wondering if a Main seal could be leaking and fan is blowing oil over engine?  Hope it lasts for winter, won't be tearing down till summer. If it dies, will be setting awhile before any thing is done to it.

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Glgrunby,
I have one of those engines in a Jacobsen. It has a PVC valve on top of the engine.
It's a special NLA part. Non serviceable. It may be gummed up.
That line from the carb to the governor on top of the engine is for oil to get up to the gears inside the governor.
I think It uses carb vacuum to help draw oil up to the governor.
Mine had oil on top of the engine also. It may be coming from the fuel pump area next to the carb.
I've decided that the maine crank case seals on mine are probably leaking and need to be replaced.
My engine smokes a lot. I'm thinking maybe in the spring ill put new rings in it and all new gaskets and seals.

These engines were used in Bolens large frames and John Deere 300 series.

Joe

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:41 PM

I'll check some of those things.  Noticing quite a bit of oil down below too, so now thinking maybe a hydro or hose problem?  Darn thing is so enclosed and hard to see much mechanical w/out some tear down. Needs much closer look for sure. Hope it will last for winter storms to come. Needs to be better warmer weather for me to dig into it.

#4 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 10:16 PM

It'll probably last.
Just watch the oil level.
Mine had an oil leak on the left hand side near the oil filler tube. I never could see where it was leaking from!
The exhaust manifold on that side was broken. I replaced that. Don't know how that could have anything to do with the oil leak.
But, did seem to help.
You want to make sure your not getting gas in your oil. It will dilute the oil and make it leak.

Joe
  • MH81 said thank you