Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I Could Be The Cure For Someone's Cancer.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:18 AM

I found out yesterday that I could be the cure for Cancer for someone. We all are potential cures.
Not an easy sentence to type or to explain, but here goes.

For many people who have blood or bone marrow cancers,leukemia, lymphoma or sickle cell, the only option for them is a blood stem cell or marrow donor.

There are two kinds of donations, the newer stem cell harvest (which is just a couple of shots and a type of blood donation) and the marrow extraction. The stem cell harvest is not an operation and the marrow extraction is now an outpatient experience and nearly discomfort free for many... especially considering you are saving a life. The marrow extraction does take some time with prep, but the time is spread out a little bit here and there over weeks.

For people needing a donor, one's only hope is to find a volunteer, but how does that happen? People sign up at Marrow.org or discuss the situation with their doctor. Donors with the highest rate of success for the recipient are between 18 and 44. These volunteers have no charges ever. They will still accept your donation up to age 60, but as a non profit, they do ask for a donation to cover the medical procedures to type DNA. If you are ever needed as a donor and accept, there are no further charges.

So, I signed up. Easy enough procedure, a page full of q&a, some contact info to help find you in the future. They are sending cheek swabs and I just send them back. Its so easy, it is a little frustrating that so few people know about this

My odds of being contacted are 1 in 550 (roughly)

I already know I won't be a match for My Dad, but maybe I can help save someone else's Dad. Or Mom. Or sibling. Or Child.

If you are interested in knowing more about maybe being someone's cure for cancer, please visit www.marrow.org, www.facebook.com/BeTheMatch, call 1 (800) MARROW2 (1-800-627-7692). or PM me and I will do everything I can to get an answer.
  • NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Gtractor and 25 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Thank you very much for this information. We need more people like you!

I donate blood to the Red Cross several times a year...I have given 10-12 gallons over the years!

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I remember back in the early 90s my boss at the time was amatch for his brother who had a form a cancer. he was in the hospital for three days. The research has progressed by leaps and bounds since then.

You are right not many people are aware of this and the new proceedures they have now days.  Thanks for reminding us of these new and somewhat simpiler proceedures. Thanks again and I hope that there is amatch found for your dad.    Roger.

• MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,322 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 12:04 PM

I learned in science class in high school my blood is type ab-.  I found out

in the military at age 18 how much they liked for me to donate my blood.  Been donating blood ever since.  I am past the age of 44, but I am going to that website and see what I can do.  Thanks for the information!

• olcowhand, MH81, jpackard56 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 12:37 PM

My old bosses wife needed a bone marrow transplant and her brother was a match. This was a year ago. Her brother also worked with us. Getting condfusing.....any way he went through the procedure and was back to work 2 days later. He said it was out patient and he was home that evening.

Unfortunately his sister/my old bosses wife is ill again. They are running out of options for her. She is such a nice woman. Doesnt deserve the cancer battles she has fought.
  • MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,658 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 01:32 PM

I've had Lymphoma and did a bone marrow stem cell transplant procedure. BUT, used my own. Had plenty of chemos, then to Hosp to sit on machine like dialysis and they take stuff out and freeze it. Back into Hosp for 3 week chemo and watch in a "clean" room. Last week they put back my cells and keep count on the white cell count. Didn't work for several days, was worried, then 3rd day was off the meter on counts. 2 more days of showing I could eat again and got back out. Was thin and week for long time, but still here today. That was back in 2003 and 4.  Didn't have to look for a donor, not sure what was different.  At time this was a new experimental idea and now I hear there is something even better and easier, but not sure.  As I tell people, the "Treatment" was worse than the disease with all those chemos.   My blood is not good for donating they say, but didn't do that anyway!  Guess I'm "Bad to the Bone"!  Ha!   Also....."I ain't Dead Yet!"

• MH81, Delmar, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 02:35 PM

I've had Lymphoma and did a bone marrow stem cell transplant procedure. BUT, used my own. Had plenty of chemos, then to Hosp to sit on machine like dialysis and they take stuff out and freeze it. Back into Hosp for 3 week chemo and watch in a "clean" room. Last week they put back my cells and keep count on the white cell count. Didn't work for several days, was worried, then 3rd day was off the meter on counts. 2 more days of showing I could eat again and got back out. Was thin and week for long time, but still here today. That was back in 2003 and 4.  Didn't have to look for a donor, not sure what was different.  At time this was a new experimental idea and now I hear there is something even better and easier, but not sure.  As I tell people, the "Treatment" was worse than the disease with all those chemos.   My blood is not good for donating they say, but didn't do that anyway!  Guess I'm "Bad to the Bone"!  Ha!   Also....."I ain't Dead Yet!"

Very glad to hear you're still kicking after the procedure. Big :thumbs: you could be your own donor.
Dads issue doesn't allow for self harvesting, so he needs to wait until a donor can be found.
  • oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:19 PM

My family will be looking into this Alan, I hope we can help someone.

• MH81, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:34 PM

Alan,

The wife and I are going to check in to signing up. God knows the crap I have done over the years I don't know if I could provide anything useful but if I can I am all for it.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it for my brothers cancer.

He's only a half brother, but considering everything, I'm still the closest match.
  • MH81, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#11 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 08:34 PM

I just went through the Marrow.org site, and learned that as a National Guardsman, I have to register through the DOD. I'll check with my unit next drill.

• MH81, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Thank you to all that donate blood and or marrow. My son is here because of someone like you. He had three blood transfusions before he was a month old. I have issues that do not allow me to donate as my blood is no good.
  • MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:56 PM

We are both blood donors and one son is ab- so donates regularly as well. He is also a fireman and a first responder, so we are all very aware of how important it is to donate anything you can as often as possible. Thanks for starting this post.
  • MH81, Team_Green and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:57 AM

Shameless bump for exposure of a good cause.
  • Team_Green and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Swabs came today, took about three minutes. One for the swabs, two to try to get them in the little holder foam :smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, Robert Webb and 1 other said thanks