• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:34 PM

My father-in-law repairs small engines, specializing in tillers. He converts a lot of older B&S engines to pointless ignition by simply installing a later "Magnetron" coil . The 3hp engine that I just got running has 4 screws that attach the coil. Could I have converted it using the same method? Why is there kits on the market if it is only necessary to swap coils? For people who don't know about the coil swap trick? Just wondering.

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:51 PM

If your coil has 3 legs you can't use the magnetron without repolarizing the flywheel. You can use one of the aftermarket electronic modules with them. The aftermarket modules work on engines other than Briggs too.

• trowel and superaben have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:53 PM

The solid state chip kits work for a lot more than Briggs.  That is primarily why they are there. 

The 4 bolt coil you have is probably a 291617 or a descendent 3 leg armature.  That coil/ignition system does not work with the magnetron setup for some reason.

Ben W.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:54 PM

If your coil has 3 legs you can't use the magnetron without repolarizing the flywheel. You can use one of the aftermarket electronic modules with them. The aftermarket modules work on engines other than Briggs too.

I didn't know it was the flywheel that was the difference. Thanks for pointing that out.  :wave:

Ben W.

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:57 PM

I didn't know it was the flywheel that was the difference. Thanks for pointing that out.  :wave:

Ben W.

At one time, Briggs had a deal that you could send your flywheel back and they would remagnetize it with the correct polarity.

• superaben said thank you

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 10:45 PM

Some older flywheels used 3 magnets also.You can't use a Magnetron coil or something like the Nova II electronic ignition module on those because it will advance the spark to much.It will want to fire off of the 1st magnet which throws the timing off by about 20 degrees.

It will start and run if you can get it to turn over but will run extremely lean and fart back through the carb alot.

The older single magnet flywheels can be repolerized and the magnetron coils can be used on them.