• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:09 PM

I got my LMH carb apart and have a few questions..

1   I took the float shaft out of the float ass.  Got the seat out of carb,, and instructions say to put back togather in reverse order.. OK  that is simple enough.. But it says to put back float valve, needle and gasket. There was no gasket... Just needle and seat I do have a gasket left in the kit,, But not sure if it goes before the seat... OR where-ever..

2     The Float Drop Setting,, says to reverse casting to normal position allowing the float to not drop more than 3/16 of an inch,,,Mine  moves about an inch ( drops down from top to bottom )...   3 / 16 to an inch would mean alot of bend in the tab.. not ready for all that bending in the bowl to play with..

3       The bowl spring ,,,  the one that goe's under the tab and thru the bowl and casting,,  Is that suppossed to be under spring pressure...I'm not sure where the one end was..One end gos  under the adjusting tab, along with the seat spring,, and the other with a short 90 degree bend ,,,with no load, it sits where the bowl gasket is... Should that be turned 180 degrees ,faceing the center of the bowl.( With some load on the spring )  I tried it,, the  float shaft is a bear to line up !! in the spring center

I tried to find a vid of someone doing it and  saw nothing about the spring and it's position..

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#2 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Can you help us help you? What make and model carb. Zenith? Walbro? What's it off of? Wisc. Tech. or B&S?

• trowel said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:43 PM

First off, if you send me your Walbro LMH number, I can send you a picture of what the order of operations should look like.  I have not rebuilt an LMH before. 

The needle looks to sit on a rubber "stopper" of sorts that is pressed up into the body casting.  Do you have that?  

I think if you solve the needle situation you will probably help the float setting. 

That "float support spring" is probably used to help seal the needle by putting some pressure against it via the float.  Do you have a fuel pump in your system?

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Can you help us help you? What make and model carb. Zenith? Walbro? What's it off of? Wisc. Tech. or B&S?

LMH is a Walbro Carburetor

I got my LMH carb apart and have a few questions..

1   I took the float shaft out of the float ass.  Got the seat out of carb,, and instructions say to put back togather in reverse order.. OK  that is simple enough.. But it says to put back float valve, needle and gasket. There was no gasket... Just needle and seat I do have a gasket left in the kit,, But not sure if it goes before the seat... OR where-ever..

I'm thinking they just mean the Bowl Gasket........

2     The Float Drop Setting,, says to reverse casting to normal position allowing the float to not drop more than 3/16 of an inch,,,Mine  moves about an inch ( drops down from top to bottom )...   3 / 16 to an inch would mean alot of bend in the tab.. not ready for all that bending in the bowl to play with..

Usually new floats you get are pre-bent and generally at the correct setting

3       The bowl spring ,,,  the one that goe's under the tab and thru the bowl and casting,,  Is that suppossed to be under spring pressure...I'm not sure where the one end was..One end gos  under the adjusting tab, along with the seat spring,, and the other with a short 90 degree bend ,,,with no load, it sits where the bowl gasket is... Should that be turned 180 degrees ,faceing the center of the bowl.( With some load on the spring )  I tried it,, the  float shaft is a bear to line up !! in the spring center

I tried to find a vid of someone doing it and  saw nothing about the spring and it's position..

I cant help you with that one as I'm not familiar with the style of spring used in the Walbro Carbs.

• superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,161 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 08:57 PM

I think the spring you are asking about is 22 on this diagram

Attached File  walbro.PDF   873.63KB   94 downloads

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Just looked at a lmh carb and there is nothing on mine  to bend for float drop,it drops until it hits the bowl.Also looked in manual and it has nothing about float drop just float height..

Can't help with the spring,I just know it's a pita to get it in there and I put mine in about 4 differant ways and it did not seem to do anything,must be a secret cuz the manual isn't saying either.

#7 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 08:19 AM

I think the spring you are asking about is 22 on this diagram

attachicon.gifwalbro.PDF

Thats the one.    .One side sits under the float  tab,,,,, The other with no tension on it,,  lies in the bowl gasket area. That's why I'm thinking it must  be rotated ( a load put on ) to the center for clearance .

#8 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Walbro    LMH  -1    Tecumseh  HH150 engine  From a 1556 Bolens

First off, if you send me your Walbro LMH number, I can send you a picture of what the order of operations should look like.  I have not rebuilt an LMH before. 

The needle looks to sit on a rubber "stopper" of sorts that is pressed up into the body casting.  Do you have that?  

I think if you solve the needle situation you will probably help the float setting. 

That "float support spring" is probably used to help seal the needle by putting some pressure against it via the float.  Do you have a fuel pump in your system?

Ben W.

LMH-1      Most don't list a 1 series but it is simaler as a LMH - 10  ---K1

Yes I have the seat That looks similar to a gasket

Yes I have a pump of sorts,,,,-- An auto-pulse pump.

Edited by sodisr, January 26, 2014 - 09:46 AM.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#9 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:19 AM

I may be able to help if it's at all similar to the carb on an HH120, the spring helps keep the float tensioned "up" i.e. to keep more pressure on the needle to close it. I was told it was to stabilize it during bouncing and vibration. The one tab goes under the float bowl o-ring and the other tab hooks to the float. It's a bear to install but a small pick or jeweler's screwdriver helps a lot.

As for float height the carburetor needs to be inverted to check that, i.e. upside down. You want to check the clearance between the float and the body of the carb when the needle is closed. That's what determines when the needle shuts off the fuel flow coming into the carb.

Hopefully this helped, I had a lot of trouble digging up info when I did mine and I should've thought to take some photos for others to see. I'll try to dig up some pictures or illustrations for you...
  • sodisr and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#10 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:59 AM

After studying the PDF  that  New restorer sent... (   Thanks  )   It looks closer to the needle and seat on the tecumseh  carb than the walbro carb .. But it doe's have the spring,,  22  That I am trying to figure out it's position..    for the 90 degree bend .. 

This is very difficult to discribe unless you've been there --done --that  type of scenario 

#11 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 09:08 AM

Just looked at a lmh carb and there is nothing on mine  to bend for float drop,it drops until it hits the bowl.Also looked in manual and it has nothing about float drop just float height..

Can't help with the spring,I just know it's a pita to get it in there and I put mine in about 4 differant ways and it did not seem to do anything,must be a secret cuz the manual isn't saying either.

Bill : If you look at the PDF on this subject , on page 250 you see the parts diagram and a brief bit of directions for float adjustments.. Continue down and there is,,, on page 251,, on the upper left a bit more  on the carb and a pic.  T-6 that shows the bowl adjust .  OR as it is called  ( travel ).

I put it together yesterday and a'm waiting for it to warm up a bit to try.. Maybe today...Will keep posted !!

• Bill 76 said thank you

#12 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:52 PM

O K     I  put the carb on,,, hooked up the fuel and impulse pump lines,, Tried to start it and it seems that it is starveing for fuel..

Here's what I did                turned the bowl settings  to  1 1/2 out,,,,,,,,, Turned the air fuel mix out  1 1/2

NO start

Dry plug---- Sprayed gas in carb,,,,started for about 3 sec.

Choked it  and added some throttle....--Nothing

Turned the  bowl jet out to 2 turns   --- Nothing..

Kept spraying gas in to carb to keep it running... That worked but a pain in the BUTT.

NO SPRAY--- DIED.

I seem to be starveing for fuel.....   I push the bowl  bleed  on bottom of bowl,,,,lots of gas bleeding out..

I shook the carb just before I installed it to hear the float was loose and the float should work properly,,

I still have a dry plug......  I have gas,,,,,  I'm getting spark--------    It runs,,, when primed with gas and a spray bottle..

Why won't the gas enter the  carb ???   It appears like the bowl jet is not letting the gas up to the carb. throat..  ( It was cleaned and floed gas when I soaked it in carb  cleaner and blew it clean )      Before takeing it back off the engine  ,, Any ideas That I should try. ???

I hope I discribed this OK,,,         But any input would be greatly app.                    Thanks     sodi

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 04:25 PM

Your description certainly indicates it is starving for fuel.  When I rebuild a carb, after I have gotten the float and bowl on I will blow through the fuel inlet with the carb in normal position.  You should be able to blow air into it.  Then I turn it up side down and blow again.  You should not be able to blow air through. 

When you had the Carburetor apart did you make sure the jet's were clear?  How about the passages? Did you put the main jet back together as per the PDF? 

• sodisr said thank you

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 04:32 PM

In the PDF it shows a vent hold for the float bowl, it is also discribed as a atmospheric pressure stabilizer vent, make sure it is cleare.

I do not know with your carb but on many the bowl vent is on the mouth of the carb were the air cleaner assy bolts on to.

On others it is right above or next to the fuel inlet of the carb.

Edited by trowel, February 01, 2014 - 04:34 PM.

• HDWildBill and sodisr have said thanks

#15 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Your description certainly indicates it is starving for fuel.  When I rebuild a carb, after I have gotten the float and bowl on I will blow through the fuel inlet with the carb in normal position.  You should be able to blow air into it.  Then I turn it up side down and blow again.  You should not be able to blow air through. 

When you had the Carburetor apart did you make sure the jet's were clear?  How about the passages? Did you put the main jet back together as per the PDF? 

YES the  jets were clear and all passages had cleaner and air going thru them ..  Did I put the main jet back together as per the PDF..   ???   the only thing that was unfamiler to me was,,, on the needle and seat, for the float...The seat per instructions said put the seat with the ring in the seat faceing the carb. body...  The seat on my rebuild kit  had 4 small diamonds stamped into them. NOW I looked at it with a magnifying glass and the seat seemed to have a taper to it,,So I followed the taper to the needle...That meant that the 4 diamonds went to the body side of the carb. (  diamonds down when up side down )   ---  SEE  PDF ---

I'm not sure how many turns I can go out with the  bowl jet before it wants to unscrew out..

I might try to take the bowl off and blow thru the fuel line..and raise the float and lower and check for air..  GOOD tip  there Bill !!

AND yes the Bowl vent is clear,,, It is a rectangle in front of the  filter plate.. Thanks for asking Trowel ... :D

More to come !!!!