Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 01:02 PM

I picked this up this week it was being thrown out because the bearing is bad on the pulley side . It came all apart but I just got done putting it back together until I get the bearing end cap  repaired .My thought was to mount it on a frame work like they used on the DBs I'll need to make up some kind of constant relief  (  might not be correct term lol )  that the pressure can be regulated . The original compressor attachment had a small tank that mounted right along the compressor , not sure what I can use , I do have an old truck air dryer that's finned aluminum that might look pretty cool

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0491.JPG
  • DSCN0490.JPG

Edited by Alc, January 25, 2014 - 01:03 PM.

• Gtractor and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 01:07 PM

Great find!!  :thumbs:

If you can come up with an old [common around here] sickle mower for a DB you could use the mount from it to make a quick hitch that would look factory.

I call them a "pop off valve"  dunno if thats right but you will definately need one. 

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 01:27 PM

As Gtractor is saying you need a pop off valve. It is just a pressure relief valve that will open to let off excessive pressure. The Speedaire had one at the connection to the air hose. Should be easy to find. I have found that I prefer my tools to have their own power and to haul them in a trailer.  Good Luck, Rick

• Alc said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 02:13 PM

Pilot valve is what it is called, the pop off valve is the safety valve in the reserve tank, usually rated to 300 psi before opening.

Most air compressor pumps have a unloader valve built into the head itself, yours might have it, if a manual can be found it will show it, if not the pilot valve can be had with a manual open unloader valve.

I think that would be a great idea, throw up a pic or two of the tank,

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:23 PM

I picked this up this week it was being thrown out because the bearing is bad on the pulley side . It came all apart but I just got done putting it back together until I get the bearing end cap  repaired .My thought was to mount it on a frame work like they used on the DBs I'll need to make up some kind of constant relief  (  might not be correct term lol )  that the pressure can be regulated . The original compressor attachment had a small tank that mounted right along the compressor , not sure what I can use , I do have an old truck air dryer that's finned aluminum that might look pretty cool

Al:

What you want is called a continuous-run unloader valve.  .....This unloads (dumps) the compressor output when the desired pressure is reached.  ...It closes when the pressure drops below a set cut-in pressure.  ....Most of these unloaders are adjustable for the pressure range that you wish to maintain.

Some of these valves have a pilot port to control a small pneumatic device attached to the throttle linkage of the engine.  ...While the compressor is in the "unload mode,"  the engine speed drops to near idle.  ....When the air pressure drops enough to cause the unloader to close, the engine speed is automatically increased.

Most of these unloaders have a safety relief valve to prevent over-pressure, and a check valve to prevent pressure in the tank from bleeding back to the compressor while unloading.

Here's a link to a typical continuous-run unloader:  http://www.grainger....TK14?s_pp=false

• Bolens 1000, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:31 PM

What I was calling a air dyer is the correct name is "after cooler "   here's a picture from the NAPA site of the one I have ,

Attached Thumbnails

• NWMDC.jpg

• KennyP and trowel have said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Thanks,

That is really neat looking, looks heavy duty, do you know the max PSI rating of the cylinder ?

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 01:23 PM

I'm guessing since the aftercooler is used on trucks air brake systems it would have to be over 150psi which is about what the system relife is usally set. Governor set around
125psi

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 01:33 PM

Al, nice setup. The factory mount is easy to recreate short of the tall caster part. I had gotten one with oout a compressor on it years ago that had bent rails. Two new angle irons later, and trip to eBay for a compressor, and I have all it takes, except ability to repair pot cast aluminum,since the compressor got a broken foot in shipping....good luck with the project, if you need dimensions or the DB square nuts I can be of help.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, January 26, 2014 - 01:33 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Finely got back on this air compressor ,  with a new bushing made and counterbored  for  CR  seal instead of rope  packing,. A  broken off bolt removed and 2 gaskets made it went back together well . Now I'm trying to how to make the framework . Does anyone know if I can turn the pulley around  so the direction arrow on the pulley will spin the way the engine turn ?

Edited by Alc, September 21, 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 07:49 PM

" Does anyone know if I can turn the pulley around  so the direction arrow on the pulley will spin the way the engine turn ?"

I may be mistaken, Al, but it looks like the pulley is already set up to turn counter-clockwise,  which is correct if you are driving off the drive end of the crankshaft.   

If you are running the belt off the flywheel end of the crank, the rotation of the compressor needs to be clockwise.

The pulley needs to be mounted so that cooling air blows over the fins of the compressor. 

One consideration of changing the rotation of the compressor by reversing the pulley is whether or not the lubrication and airflow inside the compressor will be affected.

There is also the possibility of getting the desired rotation by running a longer belt with a twist in it.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, September 21, 2014 - 07:51 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Bruce I didn't think about lubrication :wallbanging:   There was no direction on the compressor itself .  I better figure that out first lol

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Looked at the compressors here at work and they are all turning CCW which will work out fine for my tractor