I installed the tiller on my C160 for the first time a few days ago, and noticed a couple things. First with the tiller in the up position, the front end was very light. If I wasn't very careful releasing the clutch, it would wheelie, and drag the tiller on the ground, not to mention it didn't like turning, especially in loose dirt. So I re-purposed a set of weights off a junk JD F510 I have. Using an old damaged mule drive I had laying around, and modified it to carry the weights. They now just snap into the front tach a matic just like the mule drive does. Problem solved, now the front stays on the ground, and steers much better.
Second thing is this tiller is somewhat heavy, and lifting it at the end of each row was getting old for my left arm! So, I ordered a lift assist spring from Glenn Pettit's Wheel Horse Restoration Parts. If you guys ever need anything for your Horses, I highly recommend him. He's a really nice guy with very fair prices. He can be found here. http://www.wheelhors...toration-parts/
I built the brackets for it from 1"x 1/4" steel strap. For the bracket on the tractor, I just welded an extra piece to the already existing bracket on the axle. For the tiller, I looked at an oe design, and made it similar. Just heated the strap with the torch for the bends, drilled the holes, and then welded the two together. This spring makes this tiller much lighter! My left arm thanks you Glenn! Here are a few pics.
I don't know how my whole last paragraph ended up as a link to Glenn's place, but somehow I made a boo boo.
Edited by bowtiebutler956, January 25, 2014 - 12:31 AM.