• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Just a little rant here,,,, it has been just a touch cold here in SE WI, I can deal with that, minus 20, minus 10 , plus 10, whatever....

Bt, , for each and every one of the latr days of these past two weeks, we get some sort of snow. Not the kind of snow that one might plow, but a trace , to maybe an inch or two , ya know just the kind to screw up traffic,, and make things and parking lots  crappy.

Called my bud last night ( he has 65+ machines out in any storm )  and he said he is having a problem getting salt in bulk loads .

Anyone else having this issue?

I am leaving my driveway build up, and just run it over for now , but I know that will screw me come springtime LOL.

Edited by marlboro180, January 24, 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:09 PM

Another 1 1/2 - 2 inches heading your way!!!!!!!  Prepare! :flamethrower:

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, I know.... Getting out the flamethrower.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:39 PM

....But, for each and every one of the latr days of these past two weeks, we get some sort of snow. Not the kind of snow that one might plow, but a trace , to maybe an inch or two , ya know just the kind to screw up traffic,, and make things and parking lots  crappy.

Same here, every day 1/2"+ or blowing snow. Every three days or so, 3-6" more. :ah_shoot:

Right now we are 40+" above average for this time of the season. Most roads have 2+ feet piled up on the shoulder. Drifts in with all the wind, a real challenge going to work at 5 am. 

As for the driveway, with only small area/light snow, try a leaf blower.

Makes quick work of the dusting. :thumbs:

• marlboro180 said thank you

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hi marlboro180 I don't know how far you are from me but I just looked out the window and its snowing again and the weather man said another clipper coming sunday,then real cold Monday high minus7 low minus 21. Milwaukee is already closing schools.
  • JRJ said thank you

#6 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 07:39 AM

We keep getting those same little dustings and I keep plowing it off the driveway. Seems kinda pointless but if I leave it alone it turns into a mess, pack it down, pack down a little more, etc. pretty soon you've got 3 or 4 inches of hard packed snow and ice making plowing impossible (if we get something worth plowing) and with a little warm up it turns my driveway into a skating rink. In my particular situation if I let that happen and we get a quick thaw and/or rain it'll flood my garage so I have to clean up even the piddly stuff. I'm starting to wish I had a rotary broom on one of my machines. It would make the little dustings tolerable to play with...

#7 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys , at least I know I'm not the only one sick of the dribbles of snow.  Last night brought and inch or two of dry fluffy snow, with 40 mile an hour winds, so some areas of the long driveway are nearly bare, and others are wind- packed in. 

Tonight promises more of the same... :shoot3:

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 02:04 PM

Tonight promises more of the same... :shoot3:

Nah, we're supposed to get 3 inches.......keep your fingers crossed!

#9 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:02 PM

I sure hope so Cat, that will make plowing a little more attractive . :D

#10 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'm starting to wish I had a rotary broom on one of my machines. It would make the little dustings tolerable to play with...

The brooms are amazing for just that...I run wide open, fast as I can go for just an inch or two, which is most every day, since we get lake effect anytime it's cold.

Finally got a decent 'storm' yesterday, and wound up with 9 good inches, so I could run the blower.  I had been pushing all winter, but the banks are just too big now, even for the loader/blade. 

20140107_083812.jpg

• trowel and Bill 76 have said thanks

#11 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 02:11 AM

I love your sweeper rig--gotta put one of them on my wish list..I also like that Huge chain ya got on the back,looks big enought to pull a D9 outta the swamp.
  • Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#12 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:01 AM

I love your sweeper rig--gotta put one of them on my wish list..I also like that Huge chain ya got on the back,looks big enought to pull a D9 outta the swamp.

Haha...yeah, I had that chain layin around and figured  "There's 40#, where could I use that?" :thumbs:

#13 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:20 PM

I too am quite SICK of it as well here.  Only its not cleaning at home that agrevates me.  It's the going to work at all hours of the day every other day to clean up roads that just got into shape the nite before.  It's so cold at the moment that the salt on the roads doesn't really work unless its daytime and the sun is out to help heat the pavement.  I took delivery on friday of the last load of salt for the year allready for our municipality.  We buy on state contract pricing and are alloted a certain amount for the year and we are there.  We've allready gone thru more this year than we did for all of last year.  If it keps it up w'ell be spreading just plain anti skid on the roads soon instead of salt.  And yes we have heard the salt shortage issues here as well.

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I found that the power broom attachment on a weed wacker was great on fluff snow until the arm starts to get sore.

Love the broom, would of been great here today, 1 inch of poof.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#15 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:45 PM

Well, we got 5" of the fluffiest snow I ever seen. That broom attacment shown by others shur would have made it easier, but the 'ole 222  with a plow on it made it through the day.