• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:35 PM

I hope to work on my Toro power handle tomorrow. It has a 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I broke the plunger that opens the points trying to free it up. I have a new plunger for it. I tried drilling the old plunger but was still not able to remove it so I will remove the crankshaft to get it out. The plungers have a groove cut into them near one end. Does the end with the groove go up or down? I might not be able to tell by wahts left of the old one. Thanks.

#2 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:21 PM

The plunger should be installed with the groove up to prevent oil seepage

plunger.JPG

• MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:47 AM

Download the B&S Repairmans Manuals. I've used the second one for 36 years and it is excellant. Good Luck, Rick

http://gardentractor...pairman-manual/

http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/
  • sacsr said thank you

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 10:15 AM

I hope to work on my Toro power handle tomorrow. It has a 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I broke the plunger that opens the points trying to free it up. I have a new plunger for it. I tried drilling the old plunger but was still not able to remove it so I will remove the crankshaft to get it out. The plungers have a groove cut into them near one end. Does the end with the groove go up or down? I might not be able to tell by wahts left of the old one. Thanks.

There is no need to remove the crankshaft, if you haven't already done so.

Carefully, remove the crankshaft oil seal without maring the crank or crankcase.  ....The lower end of the plunger will be exposed, and you can often pry it up & out.  ...It's a good idea to replace the oil seal while you have things apart, anyway. 

B&S part number for the seal was # 89660.  ....Don't know if that number has been superceded.

• Bolens 1000, DougT, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#5 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Before I read Bruce's post , I removed the crank and replaced the plunger. I did not remove the head , just pushed the piston & rod to the top. Of course I had to remove the cam to get the crank out.All went as I expected. The engine is like new inside. I'm sure it has very few hours run time. The plunger fixed the ignition problem. The carb float was stuck. I was unable to remove the pin holding the float so I worked the float up and down and thought I had it freed up. The engine ran great for a minute or two the the float must have stuck again as gas began to pour through the carb. I'll deal with the carb issues in a day or two. Thanks.