• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:25 PM

So i am here to ask a couple questions with the PA plow day a couple months away I am getting kinda desperate. Where are people finding sleeve hitches for tube frames or 3PT hitches for large frames. I have only ever seen one sleeve hitch in the last year and and lost it on ebay. But i have never seen anything for the large frames. i still haven't found a plow but without a hitch i don't want to buy something i can't use.

• sodisr and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#2 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:33 PM

Sleeve hitches for the tubeframes are hard to find in my opinion. I have seen a few for sale in the past but most of them sell for decent money. Most of the time you have to be lucky and find a cheap one or get one in a package deal. It would probably be pretty easy to make a sleeve hitch though. Basically they are just a bent piece of steel with a few holes drilled in it and a couple pieces welded to it, not very complex.

• JohnWR and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#3 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:38 PM

Hi JohnWR,

I know that sleeve hitches are hard to find as well as 3 points for the large frames. I have seen somewhere plans for a sleeve hitch. If you are any good at welding or have a buddy that welds they can whip one up in an hour.

I also saw on another forum site where a guy made his 3 point for his large frame Bolens. Top notch work and seemed to be easy.

Maybe OldBuzzard or one of the other senior members can guide you to something here while I'll look for the plans I have for the sleeve hitch.

• boyscout862 and JohnWR have said thanks

#4 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Sleeve hitches for the tubeframes are hard to find in my opinion. I have seen a few for sale in the past but most of them sell for decent money. Most of the time you have to be lucky and find a cheap one or get one in a package deal. It would probably be pretty easy to make a sleeve hitch though. Basically they are just a bent piece of steel with a few holes drilled in it and a couple pieces welded to it, not very complex.

Ugh that's what i was afraid of times like these being a single parent sucks. I sadly don't have the creativity to make a hitch so that's not happening.

#5 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Try contacting some of the site supporters. Rick Show and Bob's both sell a lot of Bolens stuff, they may have a hitch that will work for you.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:53 PM

Or possibly one of our in-house hoarders would be willing to sell one.

:bigrofl: :hitting_self_roller: :thank_you:

• Bolens 1000 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#7 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:54 PM

I hope I can attach the file here for the sleeve hitch. Give it try and let me know.

Attached Files

• farmerall, Newpaws493 and JohnWR have said thanks

#8 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Or possibly one of our in-house hoarders would be willing to sell one.

:bigrofl: :hitting_self_roller: :thank_you:

I know i don't have enough money to even try making a fair offer but it did make me chuckle and smile a bit.

I hope I can attach the file here for the sleeve hitch. Give it try and let me know.

It does work forgot where i saw that that really does not look to bad to make other than the lift arm i just wonder how my little Hobart 140 with gas would handle the thickness. I usually repair floors in cars but that easy since i can see the shape and slowly work the metal to the hole.

Now i did find this on the internet the thread is about 10 years old but it did show good plans.

http://www.tractorfo...plans-how-6779/

#9 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 04:11 AM

I know i don't have enough money to even try making a fair offer but it did make me chuckle and smile a bit.

It does work forgot where i saw that that really does not look to bad to make other than the lift arm i just wonder how my little Hobart 140 with gas would handle the thickness. I usually repair floors in cars but that easy since i can see the shape and slowly work the metal to the hole.

Now i did find this on the internet the thread is about 10 years old but it did show good plans.

Here's an idea. If you have a rental company that rents welders take your pieces that need welding (prepare all your pieces for assembly, first) and ask if you can see if their welder can handle your fab project for a future rental. Weld it and let em know you need to test the results. Pay them for fuel use. Take home your fabbed sleeve hitch and try it out.

For the 3 point. That's a great design and I would add one modification to the plans. On the lower arms, where the holes are drilled for the clevis pins at each end, you can weld on the ball joints (available at any tractor supply store). Just get the right size and weld to the correct angle on each end of the arms.

Good luck.

• JohnWR said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 08:08 AM

I think you would have no problem using that Hobart to weld this up as I have one just like it and use it on 1/4" and 3/8" metal. I do bevel edges where I am welding.

On another note, I saved the hitch plans to my computer and can make that into a PDF to upload here if no one objects.

• JohnWR and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#11 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Here's an idea. If you have a rental company that rents welders take your pieces that need welding (prepare all your pieces for assembly, first) and ask if you can see if their welder can handle your fab project for a future rental. Weld it and let em know you need to test the results. Pay them for fuel use. Take home your fabbed sleeve hitch and try it out.

For the 3 point. That's a great design and I would add one modification to the plans. On the lower arms, where the holes are drilled for the clevis pins at each end, you can weld on the ball joints (available at any tractor supply store). Just get the right size and weld to the correct angle on each end of the arms.

Good luck.

Thanks that was the only think i didn't like about those plans was the lack of ball joints since when you adjust the hitch so the plow is level while in the dirt it may bind. But for a box blade or sleeve hitch adapter A frame it would work perfectly since your arms would always be level.

I think you would have no problem using that Hobart to weld this up as I have one just like it and use it on 1/4" and 3/8" metal. I do bevel edges where I am welding.

On another note, I saved the hitch plans to my computer and can make that into a PDF to upload here if no one objects.

I had to go out and look at my welder and your right it says without beveling with gas like its set up with i can do 1/4". Also no one would object to you making those plans a PDF but maybe you can re size them so they aren't so blurry. It would also be awesome to get those 3 point plans on the forum as well i booked marked the page for now.

But my question for the post is going to be the plans for the sleeve hitch say 3/8" but would 1/4" be sufficient enough i could always ad some bracing on the inside of the hitch. as this seems to be the easiest to make first.

• KennyP and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'll see what I can do with the 3-point plans.

#13 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Depending on what attachment(s) you plan on using with that sleeve hitch and the kind of stress it would go under, only then would I decide whether to change the thickness it is made from.

#14 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I would just me using a 10 plow i already have a brinly back blade and rake for the tube frame so that's all it would be used for. I have to try to find a local metal supplier as tractor supply only caries 1/4" in 1 1/2" widths so i can't even make the 3 point at this time. I stopped up to see my dad as he is gonna help me with this and said the the three point shouldn't me an issue to make.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:59 AM

I started to do the PDF on the plans yesterday, but they weren't very clear. I think I will just redraw them so they are clearer. Won't take long and gives me something to do!