#31 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 12:09 PM

That's great Daniel,looking forward to your conversion project.

#32 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,719 Thanks
  • 30,340 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Was just driving to the highway a couple miles to pay for some rough saw lumber I got from a friend a couple weeks back. On the way I passed a guy's place just a mile up my side road. He was standing next to his truck, which had a pintle hitch in his truck's receiver! He said I could borrow it no problem, so I am set for my trip!

#33 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 03:33 PM

Things just seem to fall in place sometimes,don't they ?

#34 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Congrats on everything working out so well for you Dan! That was an awesome deal you got there! I do agree with MH81 that maybe you should look around a little while you're there though LOL! Hope the trip goes well and that your wife enjoys it too! Best wishes for your Dads' surgery too. You have got to be the busiest guy that I know!

#35 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,719 Thanks
  • 30,340 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 03:46 PM

Things just seem to fall in place sometimes,don't they ?

Yes, sometimes it sure does, but what worries me is that old saying "for each action, there is an equal & opposite reaction"! Maybe that will be another month & nothing to do with my GT's & projects. I'll take this good fortune though! I am looking at something else he has also, so I may bring home more than just this blacktop sealer. I'll let that be a surprise IF anything else does follow me home.

#36 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 05:28 PM

I am looking at something else he has also

Geez, you do understand that jet engines do not work well in GT's, right? That is unless you are planning to build an exhibition jet tractor I guess. Kinda like Art Arfons and the Green Monster jet car, huh? Ah, I can see it now. If I'm right about this you better start shopping around for some flame retardant underwear right now!:bigrofl:

JN

#37 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,719 Thanks
  • 30,340 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 05:31 PM

Oh yeah, the "Green Monster".....now that's been a few years! No jet engines for me! One close call with a torch is all I need to know to stay away from jet turbines!

#38 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 05:44 PM

This gets off subject but I saw his son (Craig Arfons) crash hard in a jet car at Detroit Dragway many years ago. Go to Detroit Dragway - Brownstown Twp MI and scroll down to a post dated 4-24-2008 for details.

JN

#39 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,719 Thanks
  • 30,340 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:10 PM

I'm not far from having a working fleet of diesels now....the main tractors I use that is. They are so much easier to maintain, and sip fuel compared to gasoline engines. I've always loved my Onans, but they really love to gobble the gas. My MF1855 w/FEL is a heavy used item, and if money were no object, it would be swapped to diesel power. Having just rebuilt the Onan last year, I'll just keep using that engine. Using the MF1855 hardly ever requires more than 1/2 throttle, even digging with the bucket. If this Onan weren't a good engine, I'd try to buy this engine for it. Z482 Kubota 2 Cyl Diesel Engine Low Hours- Complete - eBay (item 320637512536 end time Jan-06-11 15:08:30 PST)

#40 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 08:01 PM

That sure would make a nice power plant for it.

#41 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,719 Thanks
  • 30,340 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:46 AM

Whenever I do get to this project, (and this ALL depends on if this diesel engine is a runner or can be repaired within my budget) the tractor will not appear completely stock, no matter what I do. So this JB will undergo some changes. The fender boxes will go...they're rotted out BAD anyway. I will add running boards also, as it's way too tight with the feet under the dash, plus that's where the fuel tank & battery will have to be placed. I'll likely extend the fenders to nearly or completely reach the edge of the tires. This will be a complete custom job. Headlights will be up front, but not decided if into the grill, or mounted outboard on side of grill. Lots to plan/figure out. Tomorrow I bring the engine home. If not too tired, I'll back it into the farm shop & see if she'll fire. I KNOW I'll be messing with it Sunday in-between milkings.

#42 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 909 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 11:51 AM

:bigrofl:
Seeing if it would fire ASAP is a given Dan, there is NO way you could park it and forget it.... if you did we'd be worried about ya!!! Just try and get a good night's sleep tonight!!! and have a safe trip tomorrow.
P.

#43 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,521 Thanks
  • 15,400 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 03:47 PM

Daniel, way to go, my friend. I wish I could find a couple of deals like that out here. I would love to do a conversion myself.

#44 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,719 Thanks
  • 30,340 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 03:54 PM

:bigrofl:
Seeing if it would fire ASAP is a given Dan, there is NO way you could park it and forget it.... if you did we'd be worried about ya!!! Just try and get a good night's sleep tonight!!! and have a safe trip tomorrow.
P.

You're almost certainly right...I'll be out there seeing if she'll fire tomorrow night long as my heart is still pumping blood! I'll be safe!

#45 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 165 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 08:09 PM

Congrats on your diesel find. You should have a lot of goodies to add to your parts inventory along with some stuff to sell to get back some of your investment. If I know you, you will be working all night untill the engine springs to life. Good luck!