#16 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:57 PM

Congratulations, Dan! (Your wife must REALLY love you!!! I can't imagine what she said when you said you were bidding on an asphalt sealer! LOL!!)

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:02 PM

Don't hold your breath on this project getting started soon. I have a lot going on right now. Dad has hip replacement on the 19th, so I'll have plenty more work on my plate, plus helping him & Mom as he rehabs. I don't know why I freely take more on myself, as I already have more than I can do. Just proves I'm a grade A "Tractor Nut" I suppose! Once I get it home, I do want to get it running. Hoping he is right that it wasc a clutch problem, but I know I can't bank on that. For the money though, it's a cheap enough gamble. The outfit is shown on the company site to weigh over 2 tons, and that alone will bring $360 in scrap price. But there are components to sell also, so I don't think I can lose on this one no matter how the engine turns out. My wife wanted a burger from that "Classic Diner" I ate at on the T-63 trip. I told her that was the only reason I bid on this was so she'd get to eat there. :D
I went solo last trip, but she's going this time.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:03 PM

Congratulations, Dan! Your wife must REALLY love you!!!

She truly does! And it's mutual!

#19 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:04 PM

Is the water pump missing?

Posted Image

That will be an awesome deal if you can get it running without too much expense? Nice Score!

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:08 PM

Same guy I bought the T-63 Bush Hog tractor from.

Maybe you'd better have a look around while you're there...
may save yourself a road trip in another week :poke:

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:10 PM

He "said" all the engine components are at his place, but I expect to find at least something missing, & looks like the water pump/fan might be that part. Hope he has it, but if that's all I have to buy, then no problem. All else appears to be there. Heck, a running engine like this will start no less than $800. If I have $500 invested after the trip, then have to buy $100 in parts, then that's just $600 before selling excess parts off the asphalt rig. I doubt I'll end up with more than $300 in the engine, if indeed the engine is in running condition. And I can fire it up without the water pump if one is not included, just can't run over 30 seconds or so.

#22 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:14 PM

That beast must have electric brakes....
Posted Image

#23 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:15 PM

He "said" all the engine components are at his place, but I expect to find at least something missing, & looks like the water pump/fan might be that part. Hope he has it, but if that's all I have to buy, then no problem. All else appears to be there. Heck, a running engine like this will start no less than $800. If I have $500 invested after the trip, then have to buy $100 in parts, then that's just $600 before selling excess parts off the asphalt rig. I doubt I'll end up with more than $300 in the engine, if indeed the engine is in running condition. And I can fire it up without the water pump if one is not included, just can't run over 30 seconds or so.

No doubt, for that price it is hard to go wrong.....

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:18 PM

In one ebay pic, it appears to me that the fan blade & pulley are lying under the radiator fan shroud. Getting ALL the wiring harness is a tremendous plus!
And yes, it surely has electric brakes. Hope they are in working order. Not sure what I'll do with the trailer. I may end up redoing it & either keeping it or selling as a flatbed trailer. I could use electric brakes on our 16' trailer.

#25 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:37 PM

In one ebay pic, it appears to me that the fan blade & pulley are lying under the radiator fan shroud.

In this one...?
Posted Image

#26 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 08:41 AM

That's a interesting looking rig. Congrats on the good buy. I look forward to more pictures after you get this thing and start taking it appart.

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yea Todd, that's the pic, but not sure what's under there. I'll know soon enough. Gonna call him after my vet check is finished to arrange pickup. Gotta run!

#28 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 10:10 AM

Dan congrats on getting it. That is awesome you are gonna have a diesel for a project. There is no way you went wrong on this deal. You will easily get your money back from selling or scrapping what you don't need and basically have the diesel for free. With your knowledge I don't think you will have any trouble getting it running. Great score.

#29 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 10:46 AM

Not sure what I'll do with the trailer.

You could fill it with nacho cheese and open a stand at the county fair or rent it out for large outdoor fondue parties. Or fill it with dirt and plant it with flowers. The important thing is the engine. That is going to make one serious powerplant for your project. We'll grant you time off to look after your dad and we all wish him well. But....! Once your dad is back up and getting around you need to break ground on your diesel project. We will not let you rest until that thing rattles out of your shop under it's own power! You have set the ball in motion and now you have to follow through.

I'm looking forward to following your progress. Remember, lots of pictures!

JN

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 10:49 AM

WooHoo! :dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana: While waiting for my very late vet to arrive, I called Joe, the seller of this outfit, and he WILL be there for me to pick it up this Saturday when I'm off cow duty! He measured the bolt pattern on the trailer & a wheel/tire off my flatbed trailer is a match, so I'll even have a spare!
And the top news........he has the water pump, fan, & pulley! Nothing missing from the engine, just taken off. Not sure why, as it was off when he got it. Guess I'll find out, & hopefully not the hard way! All I have to do now is find someone with a 2" receiver pintle hitch. I'll buy one only if I have to, as they are $100+!