• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 01:04 PM

I purchase and restore a small tractor every winter.  Last year I purchased and restored a 2418.  Many of you will recall it as I posted pictures as I worked on it.  It was the tractor that was green when I bought it so rather than strip it I painted and decalled it as a John Deere.  i sold the tractor this week and did very well on it.  Yesterday I purchased a Kubota L185 to resore this winter.

I want to thank everyone on the forum who offered me suggestions and help during the restoration of the 2418.  You guys helped me work through electrical issues, fluid leaks, parts availability, etc.  I have located what I think is a 1614 locally and may pick it up for next year if it is still available, so may be back asking questions if I bring it home.

Thanks again,    Mike

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Mike, glad you checked in! You are not too awful far from me and we have quite a few members now from Missouri.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 08:13 PM

Just wondering if the green paint made it sell for more or easier?  Any thoughts on that?  :smilewink:

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:17 PM

Glad you got help. Since it sold, you're buying donuts for tomorrow morning. :D
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:00 PM

Glad you got help. Since it sold, you're buying donuts for tomorrow morning. :D

Ooh! Ooh! I want those maple glazed ones with the bacon on them!

voodoo%2Bbacon%2Bdonuts%2B%2528Small%252

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:03 PM

YummmmY Cat!!

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:03 PM

Yummmmy Cat!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1476186_10202922339729623_495877073_n.jpg

• oldedeeres said thank you

#8 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Thanks guys !  The question of whether the green paint helped or hurt is up for discussion.  I personally don't think it mattered at all but you be the judge.  I am posting a photo of the before and after for those of you who don't want to waste time looking up my previous posts of the tractor.  As a reminder, last year I paid $850 for it in the condition shown in the attached photo.  It ran fine BUT the front end was really loose in it.  It required no parts but just tightening the pivot pin and adjusting the box as much as possible to fix it nicely.  It had trailer tires on front which I replaced with new rib tires.  I replaced the battery, installed a new switch, and replaced some wiring.  I purchased a plow for $125. for it and a sickle bar mower which after sandblasting and paint I had less than $200 in.  I invested $75 for paint and gloss hardener and $40. on the JD decals.  This put me into it at about $1350.   I sold it to the first person who came to see it for $2250.  I think that I would have asked the same amount for the tractor whether I had painted it orange or green as I priced it based on the condition of it not the color. So to answer your question.  You have seen it and heard the story.  Do you guys think that it was worth more than $2250 had it been orange?  Remember that here in the middle of Missouri I am not in a hotbed of PK activity.  At tractor shows most people did not know what it was other than a cute little tractor.  I know that I enjoyed it more in green as it was a conversation piece and fun to take to shows and parades.  The nice guy I sold it to also said he was going to enjoy showing it to friends and neighbors and thought he would enjoy the green color.  My final word on it is that I think I sold it for what a pk  with the equipment of that size and condition is worth regardless of color. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

ps.  I did get an e-mail from a purist who felt that I ruined the tractor by painting it green, destroyed it value, and it should sell for $1500 or be parted out.  Of course I disagree and proved him wrong, but respect his opinion.

Attached Thumbnails

• parade JD.jpg
  • tRACTOR ONE.jpg
  • tractor two.jpg
  • TRACTOR LAST THREE.jpg

• MH81 and Username have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Well, you didnt start the color change, you just kept it as part of the history of the machine.
It looks good a d has the equipment that would make resale easier. I'm sure the new owner is very happy with it.

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Hey! I DO like it, after all. Course this coming from a fella with a 24 PK painted up MM with decals too, ha! I think you did good on that price for condition. The working sicle bar is kinda rare. Think it looks parade worthy too. Sounds like good quality paint job and that is half the issue too. We just like to pick on Green/yellow guys here is real issue!  You had fun and like it, that is the point. You can own one Just like everyone elses, but your's will stick out more because it is Personally Different!  Good Job!

• Ryan313 said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Looks darn good green! 

That guy who emailed you was just "green" with envy..

#12 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Looks darn good green! 

That guy who emailed you was just "green" with envy..

Thanks for the cute response.   I wish I had thought of that one!  I like to buy these small tractors like the 2418, restore and sell them.  I currently have a Low Boy 185 and a L185 kubota in the shop.  For some strange reason everyone I know who sees them or knows I am restoring them asks,"WHAT COLOR ARE YOU PAINTING THEM, GREEN?"  I am not really hung up on the green.  It was just right for the economy.  It is like when I was in college and needing a different car.  My dad told me that everyone should own at least one convertible. Everyone needs to have owned at least one green tractor!

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Coming from a "Purist's" perspective I personally would have liked to see the machine brought back to stock with all factory parts paint, ect.

Seems like there are a bunch of people repainting and modifying machines today and I don't know why. My main concern is what do people think when they see these at shows? I think it sort of degrades the original machines at shows and people then get confused on what they really are supposed to look like. Also my other fear is with all older machines becoming harder to find in unmolested or "Customized" condition what are the rest of us going to do when we want to find a original machine to restore back to factory specs?

This post was not meant to be degrading or mean in anyway, just thought I'd offer another opinion on this.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 03:31 PM

I restore my collector tractors. Ones that I want in factory condition. The ones I use. well they might end up purple for all I know. I hit the paint area and usually buy my colors in the already mixed customer didn't like area. Get paint 50 or 75 percent off.

Honestly if I ever restore the pk we have it will end up some off the wall color for fun.

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Bolens, they made 1000's of these and everyone has the same ones and not anything special.  Then, We make it special, might even improve things that didn't work when new, add features to make it easier to run and such. Unless it is some special one-off or little produced or early model, I don't see any reason to keep the same as all the others in world. There's enough guys making the "as original" ones that the rest of us can make the "as We like them" ones to fit in too.  BUT, when you start putting V-8's and jack up to the sky and make it unusable, THEN, I get disgusted!

• olcowhand and shorty have said thanks