• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • Member No: 8858
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 03:13 PM

Maybe the starter is not the problem...totally.....  I cleaned the spline and wiped it down.  The motor cranks fine.  But will only cracn 2 or 3 times then the battery is too weak.  The ammeter is still showing discharge when running.  When I disconnect the battery the engine dies immediately.  I have a 3 position ignition and I know I need a 4.  Any suggestions?

#17 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:06 PM

I Hate Snapper specific parts.Had a heck of a time getting and finding parts for my Snapper LT16.

You need Snapper part number 7019543YP or Massey part # 527414M91 and there is no cross reference numbers to be found.You are more than likely going to have to order the correct switch.

Here's a Couple places you can get the correct switch.

http://www.rcpw.com/.../7019543YP.html

http://www.jackssmal...9543/2322639/pd

http://www.partstree...or (MF)&dn=5832

• Juneau said thank you

#18 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 07:12 PM

I Hate Snapper specific parts.Had a heck of a time getting and finding parts for my Snapper LT16.

You need Snapper part number 7019543YP or Massey part # 527414M91 and there is no cross reference numbers to be found.You are more than likely going to have to order the correct switch.

Here's a Couple places you can get the correct switch.

http://www.rcpw.com/.../7019543YP.html

http://www.jackssmal...9543/2322639/pd

http://www.partstree...or (MF)&dn=5832

Thanks so much.   I am going to check everything else first.  The switch has worked fine for about 3 yrs.  I will change it but I do want to get the rest fixed first.

#19 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:17 PM

Can any one tell me if the K341 will continue to run if you disconnect the battery?  I do have the wrong ignition switch on it now and the lights are on when the engine runs as well.  I did not get to tests anything else today. 
Also, the manual says that you should test the stator with the engine running......can someone help me out with some advise on this?  I am not sure how to do that.  I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I am wanting to learn how to keep this bad boy running. :thumbs:  

#20 noclue OFFLINE  

noclue

• Member No: 8104
  • 57 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:41 PM

BIGGER BATTERY!   the 230 is for the lightwieghts!  clean all the connections and get the biggest battery you can.  my 1450 came with a small "car" battery...it started today in wisconsin @ four degrees ferenheit.

• Juneau said thank you

#21 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:59 PM

I am going to get the battery checked as well.  My biggest concern is the gauge shows a-5 to -10 discharge when running.

#22 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Can someone tell me what amp the regulated battery system is for the K341?  I was told 15 but I am not sure the wiring matches.  The starter is going straight to the battery (like the 30 amp) and not to a solenoid.

Edited by Juneau, January 27, 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 11:59 AM

The charge system is almost surely a 15amp.  With engine running fast, you unplug the stator leads from the voltage regulator, then attach leads from a volt meter set to AC to BOTH AC leads coming from the stator.  You need at least 28VAC.  This is a closed loop charge system, so grounding of the engine doesn't affect stator output.  If you have at least 28VAC, then you either have a regulator/rectifier problem, or a bad connection between regulator/rectifier & the battery. Note that the regulator/rectifier MUST have it's body grounded in order to work.  If proper grounding of regulator is confirmed, & there is 28VAC getting to the regulator, and you don't get over 12VDC out of the "BAT" (battery) terminal off the regulator, then your regulator/rectifier is shot.  

IF your charge system is working, and battery is disconnected, it should still run if rpm's are kept high enough to keep output high enough from the voltage regulator.  If the charge system isn't working proper, disconnecting the battery will kill it right away at any rpm.

So your cranking issues are resolved?  ANY size 12V battery will work with your system, but I recommend the 350 amp GT size battery.  The lesser amp batteries just have little reserve capacity & quickly fade if you have any starting issues.

• Juneau and ENafziger have said thanks

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Can someone tell me what amp the regulated battery system is for the K341?  I was told 15 but I am not sure the wiring matches.  The starter is going straight to the battery (like the 30 amp) and not to a solenoid.

The starter has to be going to a solenoid unless you have a manual push button starter engagement switch.  

• Juneau said thank you

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:01 PM

Can you take pics of your components?

• Juneau said thank you

#26 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Can you take pics of your components?

I will get pics this week.  Thanks so much for this info.

#27 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:15 PM

olcowhand.....you are the man.  Turned out to be the regulator.  It is running and charging now.  Next up is to repaint then move to rebuilding the valve spool................

thanks to everyone else for the help.  I will be keeping all the parts number for future references.

• olcowhand, Alc and IamSherwood have said thanks

#28 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Well it looks like I still have an electrical issue.  I was attempting to jump the tractor off (until I can get a stronger battery) and the motor continued to attempt to turn over even after I had turned off (and removed)the key .  Any one have any idea where my short may be?

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 05:31 PM

A bad starter solenoid can have the contacts stick.  Once they do, you either have to remove the battery cable, or whacking the solenoid often dislodges the contacts.  OR, it could be the starter (key) switch messed up.  If it's the switch, then when it does this, pull the solenoid engagement wire.  If it immediately stops, then likely a switch issue.  If it keeps turning the starter, then it's the starter solenoid (relay).

• Juneau said thank you