• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • Member No: 8858
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:48 AM

I had my Kohler k341 rebuilt last week.  When I took it in to be rebuilt the tractor was having issues cranking up without having to jump start it.  The motor runs great now but I still have to jump start it.  I bought a new battery but I am still having issues.  When I attempt to crank it I hear a high pitched whine then the motor turns over a bit and stops.  I can jump it with my truck and it crank just fine.  The battery gauge is showing -5 (discharge) while the engine is running.  Can any one give me any suggestions/recommendations?  Thanks, Mark 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 12:22 PM

Sounds like the battery is low. You need to check if the batery is actually charging when the engine is run. If not, you will need to fix it. The battery is draining while the engine runs. Put a charger on it before you play with it. There are some good manuals in our manuals section that you can download to help you. Ask us more questions as you get into it. Good Luck, Rick

There is a very good trouble shooting guide in the B&S manuals section.

Edited by boyscout862, January 24, 2014 - 12:23 PM.

• Juneau said thank you

#3 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Sounds like the battery is low. You need to check if the batery is actually charging when the engine is run. If not, you will need to fix it. The battery is draining while the engine runs. Put a charger on it before you play with it. There are some good manuals in our manuals section that you can download to help you. Ask us more questions as you get into it. Good Luck, Rick

There is a very good trouble shooting guide in the B&S manuals section.

I just tried it again.  I took the new battery off the charge and put it straight in the tractor.  Same results. :wallbanging:  I had the battery on a trickle charge for about 14 hours.  It is showing full charge.  I spoke with the mechanic that rebuilt the engine and he told me to check the grounding strap.  They repainted the engine and may not have gotted a good connection.  I will try that this weekend.  Any other suggestions are welcomed :D

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,307 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 03:26 PM

If the ground strap isn't making a good solid connection it will make it crank slow or not crank at all.The ground strap will get hot if it's not making good contact.Should be able to feel the heat if you grab it.My neighbor just got his K301 back from getting bored and rebuilt he was having problems getting it to crank over.1st thing I did was check all the wiring 2nd thing I did was check the valve lash.His valves were set way to tight.Maybe your valves need adjusted.

If the valve lash is to tight it will crank over very very hard.For the compression release or ACR to function your valves need to be set to Intake 0.008-0.010 in.
Exhaust 0.017-0.019 in.

You might also need to take your starter apart and give it a good cleaning and a new set of brushes.A Fresh built K series kohler takes a Good strong starter and a decent battery with 275cca+ to crank over.Those cheap $25 200-250cca Wall-Mart or Huskey batteries are not going to work.The $40 350cca Wall-Mart batteries seem to work pretty well and they last a few years. 

• IamSherwood and Juneau have said thanks

#5 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:49 PM

Only other thing I thought of was make sure the battery connections are all cleaned up and snug.

• Juneau said thank you

#6 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 07:18 PM

I removed the grounding strap and cleaned it up first.  While I was cleaning wire ends I discovered that the stud on the starter is loose.  The starter is staying engaged when I try to start it and it does not start.  I was able to jump it with my truck but it took a while.  I am pretty sure the starter needs to be rebuilt.  I took the old one off and there is not a number on it anywhere.  How do I go about ordering brushes?

I am pretty sure the battery gauge is showing the -5 while running because the lights are on.  The switch is not the correct one.  I guess I need to change that one too......

I am open to any other recommendations as well............

#7 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 07:20 PM

If the ground strap isn't making a good solid connection it will make it crank slow or not crank at all.The ground strap will get hot if it's not making good contact.Should be able to feel the heat if you grab it.My neighbor just got his K301 back from getting bored and rebuilt he was having problems getting it to crank over.1st thing I did was check all the wiring 2nd thing I did was check the valve lash.His valves were set way to tight.Maybe your valves need adjusted.

If the valve lash is to tight it will crank over very very hard.For the compression release or ACR to function your valves need to be set to Intake 0.008-0.010 in.
Exhaust 0.017-0.019 in.

You might also need to take your starter apart and give it a good cleaning and a new set of brushes.A Fresh built K series kohler takes a Good strong starter and a decent battery with 275cca+ to crank over.Those cheap $25 200-250cca Wall-Mart or Huskey batteries are not going to work.The $40 350cca Wall-Mart batteries seem to work pretty well and they last a few years. 

I bought a battery from Oreilleys.  It is rated for up to a 19 hp engine but only has 230 cca.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,307 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 08:22 PM

230cca should crank it over once you have the engine broken in but if the starter is even a little weak it won't turn it over without boosting the battery.

Edited by EricFromPa, January 24, 2014 - 08:28 PM.

• Juneau said thank you

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,307 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 08:22 PM

There's a bunch of brush kits on Ebay for around $20 shipped http://www.ebay.com/...8c3d3c9&vxp=mtr

Or the whole starter for around $60 shipped  http://www.ebay.com/...a9aac45&vxp=mtr

I would take the starter apart see how bad the Brushes and commentator are and look over the coils to see if the pickling on the coils may be burnt or possibly a loose magnet.

Edited by EricFromPa, January 24, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

• Juneau said thank you

#10 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:04 PM

There's a bunch of brush kits on Ebay for around $20 shipped http://www.ebay.com/...8c3d3c9&vxp=mtr

Or the whole starter for around $60 shipped  http://www.ebay.com/...a9aac45&vxp=mtr

I would take the starter apart see how bad the Brushes and commentator are and look over the coils to see if the pickling on the coils may be burnt or possibly a loose magnet.

I looked on ebay, and for that price I would rather buy a new one.  Are you sure it will fit the Snapper?  The description says K341 but John Deere.  Thanks so much for the help.

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,307 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 12:12 AM

It will fit if your starter has the 10 tooth starter gear.

These are Cheaper starters than an original Kohler brand starter but seem to hold up pretty well.I replaced a burnt up starter on my neighbors Gravely 812 with one of these and it's still working good after 4 years of use.

• Juneau said thank you

#12 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:08 AM

It will fit if your starter has the 10 tooth starter gear.

These are Cheaper starters than an original Kohler brand starter but seem to hold up pretty well.I replaced a burnt up starter on my neighbors Gravely 812 with one of these and it's still working good after 4 years of use.

My starter gear has 13 teeth :wallbanging:   any other suggestions?

#13 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Can anyone confirm this is what I need?  My starter gear has 13 teeth.

http://www.ebay.com/...c66b8be&vxp=mtr

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:40 AM

This is the one I just put on my 1650.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

Dont know if it will last but it does work well.

• Juneau said thank you

#15 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 11:24 AM

This is the one I just put on my 1650.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

Dont know if it will last but it does work well.

That one has 10 teeth.  I need the one with 13.  The link I posted above have 13.  I just wanted to ask around before I bought it.