#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:14 AM

A few days ago my sister went for a walk down to the corner (1 mile each way) a couple of the dogs went with her like they always do, she got got back to realize one was missing (commodore) he's a Anatolian Shepherd Commodore mix, he's about 34" at the shoulder (as tall as our st. bernard). He's not one to run off and especially not when it's time to eat. So I jumped in the car and went down the road looking for him, it was getting dark and hard to see.

I called for him but I didn't see or hear anything.

We thought he'd show back up, but the next morning he was no where to be found, we went back down the road to a small (maybe 3 acres) wooded area, there is a old house basement and we thought maybe he fell in and couldn't get out being it's over 6' deep.

When we looked he was not there, but then we spotted him laying on the ground and he couldn't hardly move, come to find out he got in a tangle with a coyote trap, it was a cable snare that was tight around his neck, luckily he had a wide leather collar on that the noose went against so the cable wasn't against the skin. The poor guy was covered in blood because he had been chewing on the cable, I had a pair of pliers with me, but they where no match for the cable, I had to hurry back to the house to get cable cutters, then I was able to get it cut and let him loose. he jumped up and ran the 3/4 mile back to the house, he was limping pretty good because the cable also got wrapped around his front leg really tight.

We found a couple more traps so we cut them off and took them with us, I know the owner of that land lives out of state and who ever put the traps there did not have permission.

I hauled Commodore to the vet to get his mouth checked out, luckily he did not need stitches and he did not damage any teeth. He look pretty really bad, he was really swollen and his leg was swollen too.

That was a couple days ago and he's now back to his old self.

I went back down to the what was left of the traps to see if there was a tag number or something and everything was gone and cleaned up!

I don't know who did it, but someone got everything out right before the game warden showed up :(

Here are a couple pictures of him at the vets office

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 003.JPG
  • John Deere 140 007.JPG
  • John Deere 140 014.JPG
  • John Deere 140 008.JPG
  • John Deere 140 013.JPG

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,894 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Glad you got your buddy back and that he's ok.

• hamman, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Glad to hear that Commodore is all right. Good thing you found him when you did.

• hamman, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Sure am glad to hear that you found him and he's ok. I don't like to read about dogs that come to a bad end. Good luck with the bad guys.

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Sorry to hear this. Glad he is getting better. Ethical trappers are ones that always have permission to trap where they are allowed and have their traps tagged properly.  Good luck and stay safe.   Roger.

#6 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Happy to hear the poor guy is OK, I can't stand it when animals get hurt because of some ones idiocy.

Hope he recovers quickly.

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:42 AM

That made me tear up.

I love dogs.  Poor guy.  I'm glad he is ok!  Give him a pat or two and a treat for me!

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Glad he will be okay, that looks scary.

When I was younger, we had an old English collie not like the lassie type more like a longed hair german shepard. He came home with a small "bear" trap I guess you call them on his foot. Luckily it hit him on he actually leg bone and not the joint. Dad removed it and he limped for a few days but was alright.

If you have the property owner's number, I would be on the phone right now. I would also call local park ranger or game warden and let them know.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Glad he made it ok, could of been much worse, you saved him.

The trappers should have his leg wrapped in cable for a while, see how he feels. He got off lucky this time but the next time around it will end badly.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:53 AM

I am glad you found him when you did and glad it wasn't any worse. I hope they catch the fella setting traps where he shouldn't be.

#11 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:42 AM

i would be keeping an eye out for that guy and present him with the vet bills, and probably a good a@@  kicking too!!

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:48 AM

Sorry he got into a trap and really glad he will recover. That's a good thing you went looking too.

I'm not condoning the technique and especially not the without permission, but I will say the coyotes are getting out of hand here in NW PA and a few guys that hunt them are all that stand between us up here and packs of hungry critters. Scares me to let my kids walk in the woods anymore.
  • Team_Green, BTS, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:55 AM

Sorry he got I to a trap and really glad he will recover. That's a good thing you went looking too.

I'm not condoning the technique and especially not the without permission, but I will say the coyotes are getting out of hand here in NW PA and a few guys that hunt them are all that stand between us up here and packs of hungry critters. Scares me to let my kids walk in the woods anymore.

I don't agree with trapping in any way shape or form.  A person, a dog, a child, any pets, can get accident caught in them.  Not to mention animals suffer greatly in a trap. 

My uncle "hunts" coyotes.  Has this coyote call that sounds like a wounded animal.  He gets up in the hay loft in his barn, lays out there, and shoot them when they come in.  He usually is able to get one or two when he does this. 

I've noticed around my part of ohio the rabbit population is thinned out pretty good, seen a great number of fox around again too.  I haven't seen a coyote in a long time

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 01:33 PM

To the OP of this thread. I truely do hope your dog recovers fully and quickly. I'm glad you found him when you did. 

I don't agree with trapping in any way shape or form.  A person, a dog, a child, any pets, can get accident caught in them.  Not to mention animals suffer greatly in a trap. 

My uncle "hunts" coyotes.  Has this coyote call that sounds like a wounded animal.  He gets up in the hay loft in his barn, lays out there, and shoot them when they come in.  He usually is able to get one or two when he does this. 

I've noticed around my part of ohio the rabbit population is thinned out pretty good, seen a great number of fox around again too.  I haven't seen a coyote in a long time

I'm going to start off with this.. I love animals of all types.. I have six dogs. and some cows.. I will have more critters once we move at some point.  I would rather have all the yoties around here in a snare then watch them drag my dog or kid off into the bush. Don't think for a second they won't. I had five of em surround my cow and new born calf  as i crested the hill to check on her. They got hot lead thrown at them.  I had to haul the calf up to the barn yard to watch over them for a few days as i got a few buddies out to thin the yoties out. calf.jpg

Snares have their place. On private land or on a snare line in the bush. 

• MH81, BTS, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#15 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm glad to hear you found commodore when you did.  Hope he has a quick recovery and all is well.