Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Where to buy Shipping/Storage Containers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pa Plow Day OFFLINE  

Pa Plow Day

• Contributor
  • Member No: 201
  • 7 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hi all,

I would like to purchase some shipping containers for storage. I'm in the middle of PA so i don't have any good suppliers in my area for them. I would either like to purchase one or two, or find a good source for some. I have checked into some on evilbay, and they all come across as scams to me.

If you have some to sell, or a good reputable supplier let me know, thanks

Bryan

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,116 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 07:37 PM

What size are you looking for? Also have you looked into a old semi trailer as you can get those cheap sometimes.

#3 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Bryan, be careful of scams on these things. If you can find them at a dealer who has them in stock thats not so bad, but a lot of so-called "dealers" take orders, and then have a few brought in. They may be good, or a piece of junk.

In my opinion, semi-trailers are a real good option. At one time, if you didn't want the axles and wheels, you could take them out and sell them. I think a friend of mine got $200,00 a set back from the trucking company. Besides that you can inspect and get fairly good ones.

Just my opinion, George

#4 Pa Plow Day OFFLINE  

Pa Plow Day

• Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 10:07 PM

bob,

i'd like a 20' size, but after looking into prices, it seems its as cheap, or cheaper to purchase a 40' unit. But lets be honest, bigger is always better..haha I'm not really interested in old semi trailers, these shipping containers are really built well, and heavy. I like that they can be moved easily, and they can be customized with a little work, and still be very strong.

#5 Pa Plow Day OFFLINE  

Pa Plow Day

• Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 10:11 PM

george,

i guess my worries were scammers, thats why i made the post. I didn't want to go into a sale with some no name guy in jersey and hope he would come through. I actually emailed a "business" thats advertises on ebay, and i sent the email to the companies website address, and i received a reply from a completely different name from a "gmail" account, and thats a major red flag. Like i mentioned in the previous post, i'm not interested in semi trailers, theres always a possibility these units may need to be moved, and they can be very easily lifted with a crane, or a big forklift, and i think semi's aren't that structurally built for that. thanks though!

#6 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 10:33 PM

Bryan, understand completely. It looks like If you could find GTT member up by a port on lake, might set you upwith a real deal, down where I live, there is a rumor that they are cheap up around the ports on the lakes, shipping is the major problem, about three hundred miles for me. I would love to have about 4 of the 40'. Right now though finances forbid it.

#7 Pa Plow Day OFFLINE  

Pa Plow Day

• Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 01:04 AM

man do i hear ya...... i want a massive new storage building in the worst way, but after doing some research on these containers its a no brainer. I've seen them sell for $1800 if you live in the right areas! So if you compare a simple 10x10 storage building that will blow over in the wind for $2000, or a 40' long metal, water proof, weather resistant container with 8' inside height, and 8' wide for the same price as the wood thing, hard to believe. Once i find a good lead i'll let ya know too!

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 10:34 AM

There are companies that rent these short term to store furniture and such when they renovate a house or use on construction sites. Maybe you could get a deal through a place like that??

#9 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Doug, good idea. Been checking around here, sometimes you can get one or two on rent to own, course that adds a thousand dollars over 3 years, but maybe if paid off early wouldn't be so bad.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 11:18 AM

I found this place: 45HC USED High Cube Shipping Container Cargo Worthy Steel
The picture shows it loaded on a trailer.

The pricing is close to fight, but I wonder what delivery would run you.