Another Custom Snow Plow Adaptation. (Mf12-G)
Posted January 02, 2011 - 01:03 PM
Posted January 02, 2011 - 01:17 PM
- FirefyterEmt said thank you
Posted January 02, 2011 - 01:28 PM
Posted January 02, 2011 - 01:30 PM
Posted January 02, 2011 - 02:27 PM
Posted January 02, 2011 - 02:34 PM
Posted January 02, 2011 - 09:12 PM
This will seem like a very stupid question, but is the weight of the blade,etc.. enough to keep the blade close to the ground as it is pushing the snow?
I have only used a blower on a 332 JD, and of course that thing weighed a ton, so not much problem keeping it on ground...
I agree with building the brackets out of the tubing. For me at least, since my son now has both my benders. (in my next life I will wait until 'the readig of the will' to give my stuff away-LOL--
Zolt... One thing to think of. There are detailed drawings for the sleeve hitch on the net (Yahoogroups for one) Now knowing how close I was to designing the plow brackets to use the same exact mount as the sleeve hitch, I would build the rear brackets to also be the sleeve hitch brackets. Designed that way, it's just a few more steps to build the sleeve hitch itself. I am also debating building the sleeve hitch itself from the 1.25" tubing that is left over. That would solve how to bend the heavy flat stock!
Posted January 02, 2011 - 09:35 PM
That said, even with the springs, mine is pretty heavy to lift still and I do not have a problem with it not being planted to the ground. Light weight springs and how the are mounted can change the "lift" you get to adjust. The blade on my tractor is bigger than the one that Massey used (48" vs 42") and it's beefed up more. I could not get away with one spring, where my neighbors could. As it is, the design kind of calls for two, so we are going to see if we can get lighter weight ones to offset the weight difference.
Posted January 02, 2011 - 09:53 PM
This is my homemade 4ft blade for an MF12, no where near as nice as what you see here but it works and has enough down pressure to do the job.
Posted January 07, 2011 - 08:42 PM
Well this project will be at a close (for me anyway) tomorrow. Last night I finished up some of the work left to be done and today we grabbed the last needed things (hardware, springs, etc) I LOVE how the end result of the front bracket came out with the 1/4" angle iron and may even re-build mine. This time I made a super heavy duty lip to hook over the bumper so that the bolts just keep it in place. The lip catch is all 1/4" thick and not going anywhere. The added benefit that was seen with it all in place, is that the 1/4" stock matches the 1/4" bumper and looks more at place than mine made from 1/8" stock. Next I need to drill holes for the eye bolts to hook the springs on the push frame and turn a pair of "Frankenstein" studs that will weld onto the front bracket. These studs will let the springs hook onto them with a notch cut for the spring to stay in place. I found that the dual springs will work just fine and if we "have to" add weight, the upright that keeps the plow in place could be filled with lead still.
Tomorrow I will weld in the center crossmember for the chain and it will be done!
Here is the finished frame bracket. It is just angle iron, with a length of angle iron to bridge the top.
Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:51 PM.
Posted January 07, 2011 - 08:53 PM
Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:05 PM
Posted January 07, 2011 - 11:09 PM
And the last bit from tonight. I decided to go with a "u" bolt over an eye-bolt because I did not have to spread the eye-bolt or cut and weld the chain. Although, I kinda wished I picked up the next larger size. Not a problem though, I doubt this will wear out in the near future. If it did, it's an easy replacement. I had to go with 1/4" x 2" flat stock for the cross-member, but it really worked out great. It's more than strong enough, and the added benefit is that the end of the u-bolt is protected and hidden from view.
I should of taken a photo after I ground the welds down, but here is what it looks like. The shackle just attaches to the mower lift and you are good to go. The nice thing about having something that can be adjusted here is that you can set the chain so that the lift handle locks into the highest setting and the plow is as high up as you can bring it.
I also took the time to install the eye-bolts for the springs tonight so all that is left is the upper spring retainers and primer.
Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:56 PM.
Posted June 29, 2014 - 10:58 PM
Another "fixed photo thread" bump... everything can be seen again!
- MH81 and KennyP have said thanks