I thought I would share some photos of the plow I am custom fitting to my neighbors MF12 for him. After I had done mine, there were a few things that came to mind that I would of done different. (better?) Now, granted, this does sway from the original design a lot where mine kinda kept to the Massey style. However, I think this design will be far better and may even modify mine later. If I do mine over, it will be with the dual tubes like this, but I will plan ahead so that the plow will connect and pivot on custom modified sleeve hitch arms.
Anyway, I know you all like photos.... so here is the main frame. The plow is a simple 42" non-trip spring with a pin to adjust the angle. My neighbor bought it dirt cheap and the first foot of the plow frame is all that we used for the mount.
Here is a rear view, nice and neat as I like it. The box steel was caped off and the brackets angled. By luck, the width (determined by the old plow frame) fit EXACTLY with the angle iron used. I could not go in, or out on width without drilling new holes. IF I had thought ahead though, I would of made it so the frame was wider back here so that the frame would mount to a slightly modified sleeve hitch bracket. Just remove the sleeve hitch, and install the plow.
The 2" x 1/4" angle iron was really too big, and I should of used 1.5"... So a lot of fitting had to be done to fit it back there. The good thing is I was able to use one side to make the other. The pin was turned on my lathe for a custom fit.
I tend to spend a lot of time just making things "look good" I spent a lot of time capping off the end of the frame tubes, which required a lot more than it looks. Notice the width of the center brace is wider than the tube. There is another 1/3 width tube notched to fill the gap and cap the tubes.
Yes, we know... it leaks like a sieve! It's on the "to-do" list.
You can see how nice this design tucks up around the axle. It's over an inch higher than the low spot on the axle. I really like how that fits up there.
Up front, the upright tube is in place (it is through the top plate, not just welded on top. It's also made from two of the 1.25" tubes welded together! (I was too cheap to buy something that fit.)
So that is where I am for now... I just need to build the front bracket and weld in the lift cross-member so that the chain & shackle can be hooked up. THEN my neighbor can take it all home and paint it up!
Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:40 PM.