Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Another Custom Snow Plow Adaptation. (Mf12-G)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 12:16 PM

I thought I would share some photos of the plow I am custom fitting to my neighbors MF12 for him. After I had done mine, there were a few things that came to mind that I would of done different. (better?) Now, granted, this does sway from the original design a lot where mine kinda kept to the Massey style. However, I think this design will be far better and may even modify mine later. If I do mine over, it will be with the dual tubes like this, but I will plan ahead so that the plow will connect and pivot on custom modified sleeve hitch arms.

Anyway, I know you all like photos.... so here is the main frame. The plow is a simple 42" non-trip spring with a pin to adjust the angle. My neighbor bought it dirt cheap and the first foot of the plow frame is all that we used for the mount.

Here is a rear view, nice and neat as I like it. The box steel was caped off and the brackets angled. By luck, the width (determined by the old plow frame) fit EXACTLY with the angle iron used. I could not go in, or out on width without drilling new holes. IF I had thought ahead though, I would of made it so the frame was wider back here so that the frame would mount to a slightly modified sleeve hitch bracket. Just remove the sleeve hitch, and install the plow.
Eric-plow-1.jpg

The 2" x 1/4" angle iron was really too big, and I should of used 1.5"... So a lot of fitting had to be done to fit it back there. The good thing is I was able to use one side to make the other. The pin was turned on my lathe for a custom fit.
Eric-plow-2.jpg

Eric-plow-3.jpg

I tend to spend a lot of time just making things "look good" I spent a lot of time capping off the end of the frame tubes, which required a lot more than it looks. Notice the width of the center brace is wider than the tube. There is another 1/3 width tube notched to fill the gap and cap the tubes.
Eric-plow-4.jpg

Yes, we know... it leaks like a sieve! It's on the "to-do" list.
Eric-plow-6.jpg

You can see how nice this design tucks up around the axle. It's over an inch higher than the low spot on the axle. I really like how that fits up there.
Eric-plow-7.jpg

Eric-plow-8.jpg

Up front, the upright tube is in place (it is through the top plate, not just welded on top. It's also made from two of the 1.25" tubes welded together! (I was too cheap to buy something that fit.) :bigrofl:
Eric-plow-10.jpg

Eric-plow-9.jpg

Eric-plow-11.jpg

So that is where I am for now... I just need to build the front bracket and weld in the lift cross-member so that the chain & shackle can be hooked up. THEN my neighbor can take it all home and paint it up!

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 12:34 PM

Very nice,you do nice neat work.

#3 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 02:19 PM

looks awsome!! Thanks for showing.

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 04:00 PM

Good stuff, that should be strong enough.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 04:58 PM

As usual, Very nice, clean fab work! That's gonna be a great piece!

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Yes, that is some nice work!
Thanks for the pictures. Your neighbor should be very, very happy.

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Nice work! I bet your neighbor will be very pleased.

Too bad you're not closer. I'd ask you to fab up a dozer blade for my Speedex!

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 09:55 PM

Thanks guys, I thought you might like it. I assure you, my neighbor is quite pleased with how it looks. He has helped me on the two major building days too. Yesterday he cut 2" of the bottom of the plow blade and drilled all the holes for the new cutting edge. The plow seemed too tall for the width, and it was pretty low when all the way up. That and a very beat up edge gave the decision to cut some off the bottom. You can see it in the photo below after it was cut down.
I did not get all that much done on it today, I only had enough time to "frame out" the front bracket. I still need to drill holes to bolt it on, and add a lip that will slip over the front bumper at the top. (Another improvement to my design) The bracket is made from 1/4" thick 2" angle iron so when it's done, it's not moving at all! This design was set up for two springs that run down the angle iron to the frame, but due to a lighter blade, we may need to go with lighter duty springs than used on mine.

Eric-plow-12.jpg

Eric-plow-14.jpg

Eric-plow-15.jpg

No... I did not plan on another yellow blade, this is the color it came in!
Eric-plow-16.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:42 PM.

• Rickski said thank you

#9 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 06:01 AM

Super thread and fab job.

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 07:12 AM

You do a very nice clean job on your fabrication! It looks very well done. Your neighbor should be real happy with his blade. Thanks for the pictures and nice job :thumbs:

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thanks guys... The best part about this plow design is that you really can modify pretty much any plow to work with it. The original concept is super simple so it lends itself to any plow. I think on the lift point I an going to use the same screw type shackle I used on mine with a chain down to the frame. But on this one, I am going to notch the tube and slip the chain into the cross-member tube through a slot cut into it. Then I can "adjust" the full lift, and I will just weld the chain in place like that.

The ideal next step, would be to add an electric actuator under the tractor, and hooked to the original lift arm. If the rod that goes from the lift handle was removed where it goes to the center lift rocker, you can also keep the lift arm connected to the rear sleeve hitch. The down side here is that other than the plow, you want the electric lift more for the sleeve hitch. One "could" be added to the rear of the tractor though.

#12 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 10:04 AM

Very nicely done, I really like it when things are built 'neatly'. I barely even looked at my MF 10 but am already looking to putting a blade on it. Your 'twin tube design' certainly helps with the clearance issue and I would also think that there would be less twisting?
Love the clear photos.
Could you possibly post photos of your system of raising and lowering the plow?

Thanks guys... The best part about this plow design is that you really can modify pretty much any plow to work with it. The original concept is super simple so it lends itself to any plow. I think on the lift point I an going to use the same screw type shackle I used on mine with a chain down to the frame. But on this one, I am going to notch the tube and slip the chain into the cross-member tube through a slot cut into it. Then I can "adjust" the full lift, and I will just weld the chain in place like that.

The ideal next step, would be to add an electric actuator under the tractor, and hooked to the original lift arm. If the rod that goes from the lift handle was removed where it goes to the center lift rocker, you can also keep the lift arm connected to the rear sleeve hitch. The down side here is that other than the plow, you want the electric lift more for the sleeve hitch. One "could" be added to the rear of the tractor though.

#13 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 10:14 AM

You do really nice work.You have good fabrication skills for sure.Looking forward to the pics of the lift system and the completed job.Larry

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 10:27 AM

You do really nice work.You have good fabrication skills for sure.Looking forward to the pics of the lift system and the completed job.Larry

:ditto:

#15 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 12:54 PM

I hope the twin-tube will be stronger and less stress as a whole. Plus, it is tucked up higher under the tractor too. Here is a couple photos for ideas, this is from my plow build I did last year for mine. In fact, here is a link to that build.

It's finished! Now it can begin to snow! - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

On my first build, I found a free chain-link fence pipe (with cement root ball and all) That made the main tube of mine. On my neighbor's we did not find anything free, so it had to be bought. Steel is expensive, so keep an eye out and there are lot's of things that can be had for free to build stuff. Anyway, I did not want to just bolt the eye-bolt through the tube, so I turned a custom sleeve on the lathe and welded that into the tube. The length was fine tuned with washers. A lot of time and extra expense will be saved by just welding the chain into the tube. The sleeve also allowed the eye-bolt to be flat, and not on a round tube. However, it does leave a "catch" point under the tractor that "could" get stuck on something. It has never happened, but all the same.

plow-23.jpg

plow-25.jpg

plow-26.jpg

I like the chain because it allows the plow to float all the way to the front axle without worry that it can damage a solid style lift like the mower deck uses. It's a super simple set-up which makes it nice.
plow-27.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:45 PM.