Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Throttle Cable Freezing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 04:25 PM

The throttle cable on the new Massey GC1705 keeps freezing up in these cold temps.  It only happens when we get into the single digits which is has been here regularly.  It happened again today so I climbed under the tractor and found that the throttle cable passes by an area where all of the wind from the engine fan goes.  Man, it was COLD right there.  Has to be the problem.  Probably has a little condensation in there.  Had anyone experienced this?  If so, what did you do to fix it?

• MH81, Dieselcubmike and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 129 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:14 PM

I wish I knew how to fix it.  I have the same problem with the choke cable on my Jacobson UV I use to haul coal (of course in the winter).

I've replaced the cable with a plastic sheathed one after soaking the old one in oil with no success.  It wasn't long before the new one started freezing also.  My problem is the cable terminates in the verticle on both ends.  Leave it out in the rain one time & it gets moisture in it. Tried working alcohol down the sleeve, also with no success.  I finally disconnected the cable & reach into the engine and work the choke by hand.  Of course that won't work for you.

Skip

• David Brown said thank you

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Happens to me all the time. Just take the heat gun to it. Engine heats up the snow, turns to water, then freezes when it's shut down. Worst on the snowblower tractor.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Happens to me all the time. Just take the heat gun to it. Engine heats up the snow, turns to water, then freezes when it's shut down. Worst on the snowblower tractor.

I've had it happen as well.  I thaw it out, then when possible, I tightly tape a piece of plastic around the upper end of the cable in such a way it forms a funnel shape.  Then I fill it with cable lube or penetrating oil & let it soak down into the cable.  Usually takes care of the problem for a long time.

• IamSherwood, David Brown, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#5 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:55 PM

If you can replace the water that freezes with something else like lube or grease it would in theory keep the water out. I'm battling the same problem. I'll wait for a warmer day to try my plan. 

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:02 PM

If you can replace the water that freezes with something else like lube or grease it would in theory keep the water out. I'm battling the same problem. I'll wait for a warmer day to try my plan. 

Sounds good, Welcome to GT Talk, glad you joined.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Is this a sheathed cable? If so, the bag of oil trick should do it. Takes a while, but once you get it in there... You should be good. ATF might be a good choice.

Wait a minute... This is still under warranty. Best call them.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Is this a sheathed cable? If so, the bag of oil trick should do it. Takes a while, but once you get it in there... You should be good. ATF might be a good choice.

Wait a minute... This is still under warranty. Best call them.

Yeah I'm not sure this would be a warranty problem.  Someone else gave me a good idea.  They suggested I cut a piece of rubber fuel line and zip tie it around the cable in the problem area.  That might be worth a shot for the short term anyway.  I would think that rubber would sheild the wind from the fan pretty well.  Once it warms up I want to try to get something into that cable to preventthis.  I was trying to get some antifreeze in there but I had no good way to do it.  Too cold to work on it right now but I think I could get a piece of hose on there.  I need this thing on Saturday so I'll have to try and get that on tomorrow sometime.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 10:20 PM

try wd 40 its is water displacement and the 40th formula that worked

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 10:22 PM

try wd 40 its is water displacement and the 40th formula that worked

Yep, I did try to get some of that into the cable today.  It's hard to do anything when your hands go numb from the cold right away.  Once it warms up I will look for a more lasting solution.  Thanks.

• superspeedex said thank you

#11 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 03:04 AM

Lock De-Icer works very well but anything that is Alcohol based will melt and dissipate the water within a couple minutes.White Lithium grease in a spray can will keep any moisture out.

This stuff is AWESOME WD40 white lithium grease.

8221871-21.jpg

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks