Garden Tractor Forums banner

To Repair Shop Yesterday!

2K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  olcowhand 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had to make a trip for repairs yesterday, for me,that is! My right shoulder has been giving me problems for some time & since surgery was in order, I had put it off all last summer. hoped to get it done last month, but it didn't work out until now. Rotator cuff was torn over time, might not have helped it by carrying two 150# wheel weights or 35 gallon barrels of oil around 45 years ago or dragging fire hose around for 29 years. Anyway, the damage was done!

After 2+ hour surgery & overnight stay, I'm home with a "shoulder stabilizer" sling for the next several weeks, physical therapy after 3-4 weeks. Being right handed, working as a "southpaw" makes things difficult!

We bought a new recliner last week, so I took the old one to the shop so I can spend time out there watching videos to get out of the house with the dogs! :D

Had planned to restore the little 100 this winter, but it can wait. have a neighbor who agreed to clear the drive if it snows more. Plenty of wood split & dried for the shop stove, so things are pretty well covered except for the left-handed part! :wallbanging: ~~ Lowell

ps - for those who visit other sites that I do, please excuse the copy & paste, as I don't type "lefty" any better than I do anything else that way!

See less See more
#3 ·
When I was in PT there were a couple of guy who had surgery for the same thing. They were young bucks. I hope you have as good a PT asst. as I did. Not only was she very good at her job, she was some good eye candy as well! Hope you have a fast and successful recovery.

#4 ·
When I was in PT there were a couple of guy who had surgery for the same thing. They were young bucks. I hope you have as good a PT asst. as I did. Not only was she very good at her job, she was some good eye candy as well! Hope you have a fast and successful recovery.
I had therapy on the same shoulder here a few years ago, hope I get the same girl this time, for your same reasons, nice person, good at her job & easy on the eyes! ~~ Lowell,

#9 ·
Probably won't be painless, but I can live with that! After all, I had it worked on nine years ago to take some bone out were it was pinching nerves, same surgeon. This time they did a "nerve block" yesterday at 2:30, couldn't feel or move my fingers till noon today! ~~ Lowell

#13 ·
I had that coming this summer too. Just showed up all at once. Didn't treat, and now is mostly gone away. I can raise arm up again and get coat on better. Still feel it some, but lots better now. Not sure how/when I did it, but hope it stays away. Thinking it is mostly from spinning a forktruck steeering wheel fast all these years and we had been pretty busy last year. Many say surgery never really clears it up and still have to watch the shoulder even after.

Like the note on the "wipe" part. One year my Dad broke BOTH of his wrists and was in small casts. Hello Mama! What fun!

#14 ·
Glad to hear everything went well. I have had both shoulder joints replaced & I can't emphasize enough on how important PT is & NOT over doing it. My PT was constantly telling me to stop pushing myself. It will heal in it's own time with a good PT so guys do as your told on this one. Relax & enjoy this time of rest & healing.

#15 ·
Get well soon, Lowell! Probably best time of year to get that done!

Reactions: grnspot110
#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Feel for you. Had my left done two times and now I have a full thickness tear with complete detachment of the tendon from the humeral head. Not good.

Seen my surgeon two weeks ago after the MRI, and he was impressed that I went this long. But after weighing the options of a third surgery I guess I'm going to do my best to live with it. The first time was a partial tear, and I got a year and a half out of it. The second was almost three, and now for the last year it's been.....tolerable, barely! All depends on what the day brings.

My problem is being in the wheelchair for 29 years, things are wearing out, and not lasting like it would with a WP, (walking person) so you should do good. Follow your therapist's direction to a T. You may be ready to strangle them at times, but a good one is worth every penny.

Hurts like the dickens when they start the range a motion after your arm has been demobilized for 6 weeks. You won't think your arm should move in those directions anymore, but they will, eventually. And don't lax on the home work they give you, lot of ice in your drink, I mean on your shoulder to help with inflammation. And as said earlier, take your time, and be carefull walking where it's slippery. A fall in that direction isn't good.

Enough of my whimpering and sounding like Mr. know it all. I hate people like that :hitting_self_roller: good luck, and will be saying a prayer for a fast recovery.

#19 ·
Glad to hear its all turning out well!

A buddy of mine in his late 50s had a knee replacement. He didn't follow what the PT said to do. Didn't show up for half his therapy appointments and now he has only about 65% Range of motion. He went to the Dr to complain and he said, thats not on me. If you would of went to therapy like you were supposed to you would have the 90-95% I told you, possibly even better, but since you did that its not on me.

#23 ·
Here are a few pics of my damage & the "contraption" I'll be wearing for the next few weeks:

Medical imaging Radiography Jaw Eyelash X-ray

The light colored piece on top is an ice pack for the first 4 days:

Leg Gesture Comfort Knee Thigh

Sports gear Sleeve Camouflage Automotive lighting Bumper

Vision care Eyewear Gesture Finger Thumb

Lowell

Attachments

#26 ·
Lowell, did you get away with it arthroscopically, or full on cut?

Good looking harness.

Hope all is well.
He scoped it nine years ago for the pinched nerve. This time he started with the scope, but opened it up for the repair. Go back in two weeks for follow up. ~~ Lowell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.