• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Guys this is one of my wish list Gt's & my question is this. On some of these SS14 the front grill looks like it is missing the outside vertical piece on the right side. My thoughts are maybe this is removable for a take off belt like for a blower or rod for a front plow. I have seen some that has the vertical piece on both sides giving it a nicer look rather than looking like something is broke or missing. If a blower isn't being used is this piece available or a different grill needed. Thanks

1971ss14.jpg 1971ss14_a.jpg

Edited by Sawdust, January 23, 2014 - 05:26 PM.

• MH81, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 02:14 PM

I've never noticed that before. Having googled ss14 images I see that now. It does look as if the one piece is removable. I will be interested to find out as well. Good luck.  Roger.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 02:36 PM

Jim, your observations are correct, this applies to almost all the suburban models no matter the grill style. That piece comes attached stock and is removeable to use the blower and other front powered implements. Many times they are missing as someone took them off then they get lost or pitched.

Here is the SS15 I had that I sold, it has it. There is metal Mesh behind the side grill

photobucket-43011-1346419646504.jpg

Here is my 16/6 with the side piece removed, if I run mount the GM alternator, I can't use it so i leave it off.

tractornose5_zpsd374f197.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, January 23, 2014 - 02:38 PM.

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 03:24 PM

Yep, comes off for belt passage and many times PO doesn't have or know where it went. Very hard to find one used that guy wants to sell, cause of rarity I found when looking for one. Did find one later from a forum. Problem is there are lots of little bolts to remove and have nuts/washers all loose and is PIA, not a quick attach item like it should be.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:30 PM

The piece is taken off for front mounted, belt driven implements... Specifically the blower. They do come up missing a lot. You've got to make sure the replacement is the right one because there are lots of variations.

On all of my tractors, it's a two bolt remove or install. Never seen one that was more than that.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Thanks guys I knew I would get a good response. A GT with this missing & no blower really looks like it's missing a tooth.  :(

#7 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:49 PM

That green one looks familiar.Jim, your observations are correct, this applies to almost all the suburban models no matter the grill style. That piece comes attached stock and is removeable to use the blower and other front powered implements. Many times they are missing as someone took them off then they get lost or pitched.

Here is the SS15 I had that I sold, it has it. There is metal Mesh behind the side grill

photobucket-43011-1346419646504.jpg

Here is my 16/6 with the side piece removed, if I run mount the GM alternator, I can't use it so i leave it off.

tractornose5_zpsd374f197.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you