• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 10:48 AM

I have a question...maybe be a simple one to answer, but as I don't have all that much experience with the small engines, it would be good to have your expert advise. 

I have a briggs 10hp on an Allis B-10.  It ran fine after I put new points, a new plug, ignition coil, starter switch and cleaned the carburetor.  I went to start it the other day and it would not fire.  Took the cover off the points to check for spark, and noticed that the plunger was not moving in and out.  I tried adjusting the gap, in case it was moving but I could just not se it plainly.  No luck there. Would the plunger have gotten bent inside the block or something else got broke inside.  I should have taken off the points to see if the plunger would pull all the way out since it has to be put in from the inside.  Wouldn't be a problem with the cam would it?

I guess that any help would be grateful.  Just wondering how much time and money I may have to put into it.  Thank you in advance for any help and sorry for being so 'windy' in my explanation.

• hamman said thank you

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,022 Thanks
  • 2,728 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Take the time to readjust the points again and if that doesn't work take the points out and then pull the spark plug and turn the engine over while holding your finger on the plunger. It doesn't move very much. If it is moving it is probably an adjustment of the points. If it is not moving, it could be a deeper problem. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck.  Roger.

• trowel and allisb10page have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,960 Thanks
  • 8,206 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 11:15 AM

I love those tractors and have a bunch of those engines. They can have ignition problems that frustrate me(my BIG TEN).  I have heard of the plungers being the problem but also the wires to the points shorting as they go through the notch in the box. Download this manual  http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/  Good Luck, Rick

The troubleshooting chart may help you too.  http://gardentractor...ng-flow-charts/

Edited by boyscout862, January 23, 2014 - 11:18 AM.

• hamman and allisb10page have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,192 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 11:15 AM

If the rod isn't moving, pull the side cover and if the valves aren't moving when you rotate the crankshaft you have cam troubles..  A crankcase tear down and inspection is in order to assess the damage..  

• hamman and allisb10page have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,909 Thanks
  • 2,686 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 11:42 AM

If the rod isn't moving, pull the side cover and if the valves aren't moving when you rotate the crankshaft you have cam troubles..  A crankcase tear down and inspection is in order to assess the damage..  

Might be easier to take the head off and see if the valves are moving.That way you don't have to pull the carb and risk tearing the gasket when you remove the breather.

I've seen a couple Kohler fiber points plungers wear out but never on a briggs.Could be a worn lobe on the cam or a busted cam or just simple like a loose adjustment screw on the points.

If the lobe is worn and it has a steel plunger you can weld a small washer to the plunger.My uncle did that once for a worn Kohler cam lobe.

Like this.Excuse the rather crude MS paint drawing lol

Untitled.jpg

You can see the washer just bridges the worn gap and makes it work again.It will last for a good long time or until you can find a good used cam.

• powerking56, hamman and allisb10page have said thanks

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 1,479 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 04:23 PM

This is going to sound stupid but, are your points still functional?  I have a 2hp Briggs where the points where replaced with a standard coil.  There is a plug (231143) in the plunger hole.

IMG_1232.JPG

http://www.briggsand...ng-the-ignition

"...Then, remove the dust cover, points and plunger, and plug the plunger hole with the plug supplied in the conversion kit."

• hamman, EricFromPa and allisb10page have said thanks

#7 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:43 PM

Thank you for all the info.  Will try figuring it out using your advice.  I might wait until the weather warms up a little to tear into it more though :D

I kinda figured that it was either A. real simple, or B. real difficult, but know I think I should be able to figure it out.  Will try to post how my inspection and consequence fix goes sometime in the future...sooner than later so I don't forget....I'll just write it down then.

• hamman and EricFromPa have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: points, plunger, spark, start