Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

This Is One Of The Coldest Snowiest Winters That We Have Had For A Few Years.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,385 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 07:58 AM

For sure, a good old fashioned winter, that we haven't seen in a decade.

It caught a lot of people with their pants down. Stuff like not enough firewood,

equipment not serviced, and warm clothing.

I was at the hardware store, the day the thaw started, and people where

rushing in to buy shovels, to clear their roofs. As fast as they could assemble

them, the where sold. Not a single roof snow rake, or those push scoops

to be found in town.

• rustyoldjunk, hamman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#17 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:26 AM

It's been cold here in central KS, but not much snow. We had a couple snows but it wasn't worth pushing, seems like the wind just blows it down the road and it drifts up some other place. Makes it hard to get to town, our road grader / maintainer never goes out to blade snow!, I had to go to the big city (Wichita about 60miles from me), I couldn't be late for a appointment. I left and got about 3 miles away. Got to a part in the road that was snow covered, it didn't look very deep and someone had already driven through it a couple of times. I started in with no troubles, made it about 150yards and then the rear end of my blazer broke though the snow, I was able to back out and get back on top of the snow. Just about made it out when the back end broke through again, I was then stuck!. I didn't realize the snow was that deep and my blazer was high centered. Luckily a good friend of ours lives 400yards down the road, so I ran down there and got a shovel, spent a half our digging and had no luck. So luckily I was able to borrow the friends van and I was able to drive a mile in a different direction to the next county where all of the roads where clear!.

And remember, through all of that it was 6 degrees with a -26 windchill and a 25mph north wind! :(

Right now it's 7 with a -16 windchill, suppose to warm up tomorrow, which I can't wait for!.

Hope everyone stays warm and safe!

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,594 Thanks
  • 15,426 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:27 AM

I am going to have to mow the yard this weekend, if it's not too cold. I wish it would freeze and kill the weeds.
  • rustyoldjunk, powerking56, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#19 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,360 Thanks
  • 986 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Another cold snap here this week, We seem to be in a weather pattern that warms up for a day, snows and then it gets cold again.

9 below with wind chill it's - 30. Kind of scary I'm getting used to it !?
  • rustyoldjunk, hamman and BTS have said thanks

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Well now I rember the winters in the late 50's-early 60's  when I was delivering newspapers...... Well forget it..

Yes I think we have seen more below 0 temps this winter than we had in the last two winters put together.

Today started out at 8 below and is not supose to get over 5 degrees.

Can't say we have got that much snow, and with the winds it has blown away. Truth is I had pushed a lot more snow by this time last year.

But it has been a lot more miserable to push do to wind chills.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 23, 2014 - 08:57 AM.

• rustyoldjunk, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,021 Thanks
  • 30,441 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:07 AM

I am going to have to mow the yard this weekend, if it's not too cold. I wish it would freeze and kill the weeds.

Are you serious?  Wish I were in your shoes!  

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,024 Thanks
  • 5,510 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:34 AM

We were talking about this today.  We have several inches on the ground, got 2 more last night and 3 to 4 more forecasted for Saturday.  They still haven't cleaned up what we got 2 days ago.  Its an exercise getting around right now.

• rustyoldjunk, hamman and BTS have said thanks

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Be Careful Now!! :wave: A comment like that could cause the normally jolly people up her in the frozen north to send you hate mail.

But yeah, my Brother, Sister and a close friend all winter in Arizona, and take great joy in letting me know when their out in shorts in 80 degree weather and I'm looking at a thermometer registering Negative numbers.

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,305 Thanks
  • 3,232 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 12:19 PM

Some of our friends on here in my area know we don't normally have this much snow & bitter cold. Most of our snow fall is a few inches here & there then it melts then a mess for a few days then it starts all over again. Although I would rather be working daily but being self employed & it being a good time to recover from surgery I haven't had to go out much. It's one of those things that's easier to deal with if we think about others that are having a lot more winter problems. My son's girl friend lives in Indianapolis, IN. & recently they had fifteen inches & power loss. We were real worried about them & I thought I was going to have to pack the truck up & make a supply run to Indy.  I'm ready for spring too but what I think about are some of you & many others across the country that have family to take care of, live stock & farms to tend to. I saw some disturbing footage on the news of some folks struggling just to reach their barn. The way this world is today we can expect the unexpected regardless of what we face. It's a matter of what we make of it that get's us all through it.

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#25 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 2,776 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 12:36 PM

Didn't get much over 4* F here yesterday. Not much better today at 6* F. We still have about 3' of snow on the ground and we get a little most every night. Two days ago it was -21* F here at 7:30am. I am glad we have a contract with our NG supplier for .469 per ccf for our heat, water and cooking this year. I feel sorry for those who have to heat with LPG because you are at the mercy of the company delivering it as to price unless you are locked in on a program or budget system. This is the coldest it has been here in Northern Michigan in about 10 yrs.. We normally see a cold spell but not like this twice in one winter. I hear that there is a shortage of wood and wood pellets for those who use that to heat with also.   Stay safe and stay warm.  Good Luck.  Roger.

• rustyoldjunk and BTS have said thanks

#26 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,569 Thanks
  • 1,298 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:29 PM

I feel your pain!

We haven't had much snow here is the southern part of Indiana, but is sure is cold.

We got 1/2 to 3/4 inch of snow during the night, but the temp is now 9* with wind chill of below 0.

Hope you get rid of the snow before Feb 15-16......That is when I am coming to get the B-80 mowing deck!

I hope so too but the long term forecast that I am looking at appears to keep the same very cold trend up thru the middle of Feb. I have at least three tractor guys meeting here Sat. for tractor deals that we all have going and at least two are coming from over 100 miles away.Sat is suppose to be one of our nicest days in the next week or so. They are calling for -14-16 lows Monday and Tuesday night.

• hamman and BTS have said thanks

#27 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,569 Thanks
  • 1,298 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Brian,do we need to send you a little "global warming" to make you feel better ? :poke:  It got to 7 degrees today and I think the low is suppose to be -5,my phone says it is 2 right now.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#28 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,195 Thanks
  • 2,271 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:05 PM

We had a beautiful, sunny (rare) 10 degree (not so rare) day here in West Michigan.  It snowed a little early, then the Lake Effect moved back toward the lake as the wind died down.  On my way home, I snapped this shot, heading west toward the lake.  I live about 20 minutes inland form the Lake Michigan shoreline...the cloudline is the Lake Effect snow, heading back inland.  Those clouds are probably and inch, to two inches per hour.  3 hours later, the snow clouds are finally arriving here, and the wind is picking up.

20140123_170435.jpg

Forecast for tonite is just an inch or two, tomorrow, 30mph winds with another inch or two.  By evening, they are talking Blizzard Warning, with more wind, and 6" of heavy snowfall overnite.  Saturday...snow, 4".  Sunday...snow, 5".  Monday..."The coldest day so far this winter...snow".  It's becoming comical. 

With today's lack of snowfall, the road crews got the graders setup to push back the snowbanks, as we'll see some narly drifting the next few days.  I'll finally get to push that 2-stage!

• rustyoldjunk, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,021 Thanks
  • 30,441 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Cold winters help farmers with having less pests/insects following it, but I think enough of them have been frozen to death to suit me.  :smilewink:

• rustyoldjunk, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#30 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Got down to 4 last night, suppose to be 47 today, but with a 30mph wind out of the south, going to be nice for a couple days then back to the cold!

Can't wait till spring! :firejumper:

• rustyoldjunk and hamman have said thanks