19 replies to this topic

#1 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:41 PM

I own a 94 full size Blazer that I use to tow the trailer.In PA we have to get a yearly safety insp.I got the blazer inspected in Nov 2013.I didn't like the news I got.The frame was starting to crumble under the front drivers door where the c channel meets the d channel.As of now it's not a structural issue but will become one in the future.The rockers are starting to go and also behind both doors.I thought well it's time to start looking.I've been looking since Dec and found basically what I was looking for.I went and picked it up today.It's a 2001 chevy Silverado 1500 H.D.I wanted a 2500 but this had a lot of upgrades that appealed to me.This will be just fine.I needed something heavier to tow the 10,000 GVW car trailer we have.The blazer wasn't raited heavy enough.The trailer made it squat quit a bit.Here is my new to me tow rig and also my Blazer that I plan on getting ready to sell.

2001 chevy 129.JPG 2001 chevy 126.JPG 2001 chevy 127.JPG 2001 chevy 128.JPG

• NUTNDUN, MH81, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:45 PM

Nice looking truck!! You will never got back to a car or suv! I have tried twice and I end up selling them and buying another pickup!

• hamman and ckjakline have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:53 PM

You will also like the longer wheel base for pulling a trailer. It makes the trailer tow much better, just harder to turn around.

Great looking truck.
  • ckjakline said thank you

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:05 PM

Nice truck,should do the job.The newest of my fleet is a 95 1500 has never let me down.I did put in a 25000 lb moter home trans cooler in her thou just to keep it cool when towing heavy loads. 

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Nice truck. Just not a fan of the Chevy. Did you check the frame on that truck? Buddy of mine has the same truck and the frame is rotting

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:16 PM

2001 chevy Silverado 1500 H.D.

I wanted a 2500

That's exactly what you got then. I have an 04 2500, my BIL has a 05 1500 HD. The two trucks are identical. Engine, trans, rear, suspension, tow packages, everything is the same.

Do the '01's run the same setup? 1500HD/2500 has the 3:73's, the 2500HD has the 4:11's?

Nice truck. Just not a fan of the Chevy. Did you check the frame on that truck? Buddy of mine has the same truck and the frame is rotting

Must of parked it next to a Dodge. That rust will migrate.

• HANKG said thank you

#7 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Nice looking trucks. I really like that blazer too, if only I lived closer to you, I hardly ever see them for sale in my area. Is that an '88 or '89 between the two?

Edited by farmerall, January 22, 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#8 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:32 PM

That's exactly what you got then. I have an 04 2500, my BIL has a 05 1500 HD. The two trucks are identical. Engine, trans, rear, suspension, tow packages, everything is the same.

Do the '01's run the same setup? 1500HD/2500 has the 3:73's, the 2500HD has the 4:11's?

Must of parked it next to a Dodge. That rust will migrate.

I'm not sure on the gearing.I'll have to check on that.What I do know is it has the 6.0 L engine,Power programmer,3in body lift,dual exhaust,and this thing moves. :D

#9 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yes I did check the frame.After what I found out about the Blazer that was the first thing I checked.I havn't seen any 01 in this nice of condition.Actually the salesman started laughing when I crawled under the truck.He said he hasn't seen anybody do that in a long time.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Nice looking truck Craig. For some reason I thought you already had a Chevy pickup but I must be thinking of a different one or person.

The truck will make it so much nicer towing the trailer over the Blazer. Congrats on your new purchase.

#11 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:39 PM

Nice looking trucks. I really like that blazer too, if only I lived closer to you, I hardly ever see them for sale in my area. Is that an '88 or '89 between the two?

It's an 88 Silverado.It's my beater truck.I haul firewood,scrap metal, stones,hay,straw and what ever else I throw in the back.I use it on my grandpas farm.My wife wanted me to sell both when I bought this one and I said not the p/u.I don't want to bang the newer one up already.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#12 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Nice looking truck Craig. For some reason I thought you already had a Chevy pickup but I must be thinking of a different one or person.

The truck will make it so much nicer towing the trailer over the Blazer. Congrats on your new purchase.

Thanks George,I have  the 88.I don't trust driving it to shows w/trailer.We were using my dads GMC to pull the trailer.The fuel milage is a lot better.

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,653 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Today's frames are better and dipped in a waxy rust retarder coating that gets all over, in and out. Old days used to just spary on a black paint like stuff on outside of side of frames to make them stay looking nice long enough to sell them. No real protection then.  I also want a 2500 to pull my 12,000 rated trailer. I have used my standard truck with 5.3 and 4spd auto for years on it. I have upgraded to better heavy tires tho, less sway. I already have Z-71 off-road equip, so is little heavier. Yours is actually heavier frame because it is a crew cab. Yes, bigger engine. Most axles were 3.79? or 4.10 with 4x4 unless specified. Should be a build sheet with a code to varify maybe in the glovebox?  Book still inside?  Might need someone at dealer to decipher all the codes. There's a sheet somewhere on or in the truck. Being longer does seem to be not so good for backing maybe. I can actually back my big trailer up quiet well with mine, yet the little one turns way too fast and have trouble. Another issue on mine was the brakes are not that great with trailer, even with trailer brakes working and all. I put on new ones when I got trailer and didn't change much. You might have some bigger brakes and a booster on that rig that is better.  I wan't to buy a new one, yet quite expensive now days. Mine is 03' getting old, time to upgrade here too!  BUT, maybe if I just give up this whole Hobby, I won't need that big truck at all!.........I can quit tractors any time!! :(

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I'm not sure on the gearing.I'll have to check on that.What I do know is it has the 6.0 L engine,Power programmer,3in body lift,dual exhaust,and this thing moves. :D

Then it will be 3:73's.

1500HD w/ 6.0 = 3:73

2500 w/ 6.0 = 3:73 or 4:11

2500HD w/ 6.0 = 4:11

2500HD w/ Duramax = 3:73 or 4:11

• NUTNDUN and ckjakline have said thanks

#15 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Today's frames are better and dipped in a waxy rust retarder coating that gets all over, in and out. Old days used to just spary on a black paint like stuff on outside of side of frames to make them stay looking nice long enough to sell them. No real protection then.  I also want a 2500 to pull my 12,000 rated trailer. I have used my standard truck with 5.3 and 4spd auto for years on it. I have upgraded to better heavy tires tho, less sway. I already have Z-71 off-road equip, so is little heavier. Yours is actually heavier frame because it is a crew cab. Yes, bigger engine. Most axles were 3.79? or 4.10 with 4x4 unless specified. Should be a build sheet with a code to varify maybe in the glovebox?  Book still inside?  Might need someone at dealer to decipher all the codes. There's a sheet somewhere on or in the truck. Being longer does seem to be not so good for backing maybe. I can actually back my big trailer up quiet well with mine, yet the little one turns way too fast and have trouble. Another issue on mine was the brakes are not that great with trailer, even with trailer brakes working and all. I put on new ones when I got trailer and didn't change much. You might have some bigger brakes and a booster on that rig that is better.  I wan't to buy a new one, yet quite expensive now days. Mine is 03' getting old, time to upgrade here too!  BUT, maybe if I just give up this whole Hobby, I won't need that big truck at all!.........I can quit tractors any time!! :(

Yes the book is inside and I knew they had the spec sticker I wasn't sure where.I'll have to check it out.