• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 04:56 PM

I'm looking to purchase another GT, a Cub 1250 with a mower deck, a set of wheel weights, and a set of rear lights for my other 1200. The currant owner claims that when it starts it runs but seems to lose power going up hills, if he shuts it off it will start again. If he trys to start it the next day it takes a while for it to start, then of course the same problems with losing power.

He claims that he has replaced:

coil (3 times)

new condensor

new points

new points push rod

new spark plug

new head gasket

cleaned / rebuilt carb

Any possible insight from anyone experienced with these as to what could be the problem ? Timing issues ? Is it difficult to time these engines ? Something else perhaps ? He also claims that when he replaced the head gasket he noticed that the piston was stamped 003. Oh he also set the valves.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Joe 

jan 21 017.JPG

Snow blower I already bought from him for my other tractor.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 05:57 PM

Kohler was one of a very few (if not the only one) to use .003 oversize.  Is that what you have?  What model is it?

I wonder if the float level is right in the carburetor.  Does it have a fuel pump that may be misbehaving? 

Ben W.

• JoeMopar said thank you

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Does it have a fuel pump that may be misbehaving? 

They are gravity fed.

Edited by LTD, January 22, 2014 - 06:20 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer, superaben and JoeMopar have said thanks

#4 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Does it have an inline fuel filter? It ,or the line, could be plugged. Gas cap vent might be plugged. Carburetor could be out of adjustment too. Does it run hot?

• boyscout862, superaben and JoeMopar have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:42 PM

They are gravity fed.

That's why I ask.  :thumbs: Thanks for the clarification, Levi.

Ben W.

• LTD and JoeMopar have said thanks

#6 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Well thanks for all the ideas. Keep them coming ! Doesn't seem to run hot according to the currant owner. Think I'm going to buy it, looks in good shape other than that problem. Seems like it's probably some little thing that he over looked. Keep this in the back of your minds and if you think of any other ideas I'm all ears.

• LTD said thank you

#7 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:24 PM

maybe the hydro is out of adjustment. we have one(1450)that when you start up a hill it will slow until it stops. when you push the hydro lever up alittle more it will take off.
  • LTD and JoeMopar have said thanks

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 09:23 PM

As far as teh timing is concerned on these if the flywheel and cam gears are matched to the rigth tooth the only other thing to them to time is the points gap.  They can be VERY sensitive to this sometimes.  My 107 would start and run very laborous till it got warmed up then it would run ok.  I traced the carb and checkedc the points and condensor as well to no avail.  Regapped the points to what they are supposed to be and it was like a brand new machine after that.  I have had to go back into it and do it once since then so I think my points push rod is worn and in need of replacement.  I would check that as well as the other ideas that have been discussed.  Start with the simple ones first and get them right and move on from there till the problem is resolved.

• Sawdust and JoeMopar have said thanks

#9 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Well heres the 1250 that I just bought that's mentioned above. Took a while for it to start, when it did it sounded real strong, and smooth. I was in the garage so I shut it down then after opening the gargage door I couldn't get it to start again. Try it again tomorrow, wish I didn't shut it down. It's getting good spark.

I did notice something floating around in the gas tank. Looks like a piece of the floating device that should be on the gauge.

I'm glad that I heard it run, at least I know that it will run, just have to figure it's ailment. So again I'm asking if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1069.jpg

• Cvans said thank you

#10 searstractorfan OFFLINE  

searstractorfan
  • Member No: 53452
  • 122 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 05:13 PM

How's the compression? Valves leak any? Rings leak any? I got an Onan that's hard to start and it's got leaky valves.. U may just need to adjust valves or points..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 27, 2014 - 12:11 PM

Iwonder if its not getting enough fuel   either from whats floating in the tank, dirt in carb or filter etc.  

#12 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'm thinking that I should remove the tank and try cleaning it out. Then while I have it off check the lines. Also thinking that this might go on the back burner for a while. Although my garage is heated, 1) I'm cheap and don't want to run it. 2) If I'm messing with gasoline, sloshing it around and what not, I'd rather be doing this outdoors where it's safer. Don't need that burner igniting and blowing the place up.