• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I was wondering how easy it would be to build the mechanism to tilt the blade from the seat? On mine, i have to get up, and tilt it which is a pain. Any way i could retrofit or maybe make it?

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:26 PM

if you google sears or craftsman snow blade, you can find some pretty good exapmples of a road and catch mechanisms. Many use a rod attacehd to blade to push/pull and then like a bicycle brake handle with cable attached to spring loaded pin.

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#3 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:40 PM

if you google sears or craftsman snow blade, you can find some pretty good exapmples of a road and catch mechanisms. Many use a rod attacehd to blade to push/pull and then like a bicycle brake handle with cable attached to spring loaded pin.

Yeah, i used to have a sears, but didnt like it. I was thinking more like the pivoting lever on some horsey blades. I cant figure out how the lock works though :tapping_fingers:

Attached Thumbnails

• bladess.jpg

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:53 PM

This is how Simplicity does it...works great.  Not shown, and tucked away inside the pivot of the balde is a spring that applies pressure to the locking pin, pulling it into place.  There are 5 positions, and the locking pin is retracted from each position on the plow frame by turning the long rod about 45*, counter-clockwise (yes, I had to make the motion with my hands to remember!).  There's not much to it. 

IMAG0946.jpg

IMAG0948.jpg

IMAG0949.jpg

• Alc, CubHorse80 and GlenPettit have said thanks

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 05:44 PM

If you can find a picture of the ford LGT snowblades, the have a single lever angle adjust setup that seems to work. I just wish mine still had it.

From the seat, I believe you pushed the lever out to unlatch, and forward or back to set the angle. Maybe one of the Ford/Jac guys can verify this.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Wheelhorse has one of best and simple. Lever just has a pivot on the plow frame and  you pull back and forth to turn it. the small lever on it, has metal rods or heavy wires running down to a cam action triangle below by the Big lever pivot. That then runs forward and hooks to a rod inside the frame that is spring loaded and pops into any hole you choose while turning when you let go of the small lever. Clear as mudd?  One thing on this system is the  big frame under tractor to mount this stuff. Many may not have such a frame. Would think tho you could make a lever pivot off your tractor frame or one you make to mount it and use cables or wire links around pulleys to turn corners or whatever and run up to a handle on the blade you now have. Must be a handle there now to release right? Just run the cable off the top of that, make a mount for holding it if needed or bolt to frame in solid spot away from mechanism. OR, real simple, tie a rope around handle, feed it back to driver's area with pulleys for corners and pull when changing the direction to unlock, then drive tractor blade into a bank or other stop on side you wish to pull in and release the rope once it is in position and should snap lock back in.  Rope with handle or not and tie to something stationary close by to oerator and pull when needed. OR,,,,,Buy a Horse....a Wheelhorse, of course!

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Grumpy beat me to it but I can release my blade from the tractor seat and I have fence down one side of the driveway that I can bump the blade against once released. 

If you don't have a hedge fence post you can push against the wifes car.   :toilethead:   :say_what:

• Arti, CubHorse80 and WH55 have said thanks

#8 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:09 AM

Loving the ideas!! :thumbs:

I would like to keep the setup that is on here, and would like to keep fabricating to a minimum... The way it is now, there are 3 holes for 3 positions on the blade support. There is one hole on the outer plow frame and you drop a pin through the upper hole and it goes through the lower hole.

So could i make a pin that drops and raises in the existing hole? or cut the position holes into slots and make a latch on a cable?

See Attached pictures below

(sorry for crude drawing)

first picture is now, second picture is my idea :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• Plow pivot.png
  • Plow pivot.png

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Here is a photo of the pivot for the Wheel Horse plows.

There is a spring loaded pin centered in the "Vee". This pin catches in the 3 (or 5 on some models) holes....Right, straight, and left.

The pin is released by a wire to a triangular shaped piece that is controlled by a lever like a motorcycle brake lever. The plow is turned by pushing or pulling when the lever is squeezed and the pin is retracted.

Maybe you can see better in the attached photos.

12308017.jpg

post-4240-0-61388900-1356657312_thumb.jp

• GlenPettit said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Here is another latching type i had saved from the net.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-8268-0-09382600-1362278761_thumb.jpg
  • post-8268-0-14739500-1362278789_thumb.jpg
  • post-8268-0-57811100-1362278770_thumb.jpg

#11 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Here are a couple more pictures of the standard Wheel Horse snow blade angle system, (the 60's & early 70's  blades had 3 positions or holes, newer had 5):

[url=http://s405.photobucket.com/user/GlenJeri/media/IMG_0125_zps7832a010.jpg.html]IMG_0125_zps7832a010.jpg[/

[url=http://s405.photobucket.com/user/GlenJeri/media/IMG_0124_zps6844ff92.jpg.html]IMG_0124_zps6844ff92.jpg

The silver lever is a release for the center pin on the blade swivel, that is what locks the blade in position, the lever & rod are what actually turns the blade.   Note; all the tires are filled with 'Rim Guard' (rear 60# each, front 22# each, plus rear wheel weights 50# and a front 25# weight bar;  for a total added weight of nearly 300#), the weighted tri-ribs on the front really make a big difference when using the plow.

Edited by GlenPettit, January 23, 2014 - 08:00 PM.

• KC9KAS and CubHorse80 have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 07:46 PM

The WH blades are easy to use, but it does need the setup pictured above. the Massey system works well, but it would be a bear to fab.
Let me see if I can find pics of my newer Sears blade

Edit: here is a thread that has some pics of the mechanism. Might give you an idea as it lifts a pin to change positions.
http://gardentractor...de/#entry241721

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 02:33 PM

I took a short video of the mechanism.

• CubHorse80 and GlenPettit have said thanks

#14 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 08:52 AM

I took a short video of the mechanism.

Thanks for posting that! :D  Now i know what i am going to do! since the existing setup uses a vertical pin like this one, im gonna keep it like that and make a lever that lifts the pin straight up! the lever will have a spring to keep it pushed down, and there will be a cable to raise the pin connected to the angling lever. Im going to try to make a somewhat stock looking angling lever, push in to tilt right and out to tilt left. the cable will be in the form of a bike brake lever assembly. :thumbs:

:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

But before i even start to design and build this, I NEED AN ENGINE :D I cant even plow till i find one :wallbanging:

Does ANYONE have a good k181s laying around that does not smoke? I just need the engine but i am going to use my carb, starter and fuel pump!

PLEASE HELP :D

• MH81 said thank you