#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 10:18 AM

I had to plow my mom's drive last night so I snapped a couple quick pics. nothing spectacular, but I know you all are picture hounds! :D

Man, it was only 11* when I got in the house, my feet are frozen. -6* this morning, I hate winter!

searssnow1_zps4936ef55.jpg

Let me tell you, this driveway sucks to plow, steep hill on a 90* turn, can't help but dig out the gravel, but I am finally learning the best technique, back blade is wonderful for this terrain. This is first winter I have actually had to really plow in last 2-3 yrs, I always used the Troybilt tiller with a blade, but much quicker with Sears.

searssnow_zps133d5d2c.jpg

Okay, now for the needed advice.

My winch setup works pretty well, but I do have an issue with the cable and upper pulley. Two pics below show my setup, sorry for no closeup.

First pic is original pulley, that one was light duty and when I added the dump bucket, it promptly disengrated. When I got the new pulley, the plates actually are bolted toegther, I could take apart as  outer plates are bolted, not riveted like cheap one so I got rid of the links and just put a large eye bolt in upper arm and then bolted pulley to it.

Works okay, but the issue now is if I let winch "down" too far, cable gets slacked and on rare occassions it slips to the side of pulley. The pulley rides on a longer spacer so it can float in between plates, there is just enough room that if it floats to one the cable can slip down besides it.....like last night after only 3 passes on the drive :wallbanging:  Of course, if I don't know, I lift winch and SNAP!!! Sucks trying to repair cable in the cold and snow.

So, not sure what to do to make this more durable, it is definitely the weak link in my setup.

I need a new pulley as this one is getting nicked and going to damage cable more.

Is there better pulleys for cable?

Can I make some type of complete cage that prevents cable from slipping next to pulley?

Or maybe just install one or two smaller bolts in plates above pulley to use a "keepers" to keep cable riding in pulley groove.

Shoot me any "idears" :D

Original

100_0979.jpg

Current

photobucket-31126-1337088408501.jpg

photobucket-10281-1358177293587.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Can you make some large washers to put inside there to stop the side-to-side movement? A little larger than the cable pulley? That would keep the cable where it belongs hopefully.

• MH81, boyscout862, Jack and 2 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 11:18 AM

Kenny, I think that you have the easy solution. There actually may be big enough "fender" washers available at a good fastener shop. Good Luck, Rick

• Jack, JRJ and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 11:41 AM

I've wondered if this would be an issue if I went ahead with some sort of winch setup of my own.  My thoughts were along the lines of installing a spring somewhere that would keep tension in the cable while allowing the implement to be raised and lowered.  From what I see of your set up, I would either mount the pulley on a short chain and then put in a spring which pulls up against the chain when the cable gets slack, or put a chain on the end on the winch cable and again attach a spring across the chain so that as the cable plays out, the spring would collapse the chain and keep tension on the wire.

• Jack, JRJ and TAHOE have said thanks

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:12 PM

Can you make some large washers to put inside there to stop the side-to-side movement? A little larger than the cable pulley? That would keep the cable where it belongs hopefully.

Yea Kenny, that's just too simple, I have to make everything more complicate than it needs to be :rolling:

Howard, may work for you. I normally don't have an issue, just that once in a great while and I usually end up snapping cable before I figure out what happened.

• MH81, KennyP, Jack and 1 other said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:33 PM

I think spacers, washers, etc will be your best bet too.
  • Jack and JRJ have said thanks

#7 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 01:03 PM

set something up like an actual winch fair lead and ditch the pulley all together.

• Jack and JRJ have said thanks

#8 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 01:30 PM

Could you drill a small hole just above the pulley and stick a cotter pin through it to keep the cable in the pulleys grove?
Jack..
  • Gtractor, KennyP, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Could you drill a small hole just above the pulley and stick a cotter pin through it to keep the cable in the pulleys grove?
Jack..

I was actually thinking on those same lines but using a bolt. I like that cotter pin idea better, small hole, easy to insert. It would just need to keep cable in groove, no pressure.

• Jack said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Would think you would need TWO pins, one on front side aways up and same on downside? Not just on top, yet not way down on sides yet either.  How about a Strap instead of a cable up to the pulley which is now a roller when using strap? Just use the winch cable hooked into strap D ring behind the pulley/roller. Using boat trailer type hardware to guide the strap. Straps like car hauler tie downs might be good ends. That way is about same set-up, just using flat strap over it, not the cable.  ON the addition of washers and such on sides......won't that just fill up space there for allowing pulley to turn and lock it up? I would think tightenening existing pulley bolt or maybe shortening the spacer in center if one, to alow sides to come in a little tighter would do same thing??? Would have to watch not to get too tight and not turn tho. Pulley could use a bolt with fiber lock-nut maybe to be snug, yet not real tight?

Heck, just get an electric actuator set-up and be done!    suprised any of this stuff holds up to the weight of a bucket full of dirt! :shoot3:

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:17 PM

Would think you would need TWO pins, one on front side aways up and same on downside? Not just on top, yet not way down on sides yet either.  How about a Strap instead of a cable up to the pulley which is now a roller when using strap? Just use the winch cable hooked into strap D ring behind the pulley/roller. Using boat trailer type hardware to guide the strap. Straps like car hauler tie downs might be good ends. That way is about same set-up, just using flat strap over it, not the cable.  ON the addition of washers and such on sides......won't that just fill up space there for allowing pulley to turn and lock it up? I would think tightenening existing pulley bolt or maybe shortening the spacer in center if one, to alow sides to come in a little tighter would do same thing??? Would have to watch not to get too tight and not turn tho. Pulley could use a bolt with fiber lock-nut maybe to be snug, yet not real tight?

Heck, just get an electric actuator set-up and be done!    suprised any of this stuff holds up to the weight of a bucket full of dirt! :shoot3:

What I was thinking for the large washers was to leave some space, just not enough for the cable to slip off & bind.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Put the pulley holder in the vise and squeeze the sides in just enough that there is no room for the cable to get down the side of the bracket.        ???

#13 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:00 AM

Grumpy, no dice on the strap. I also use the winch to pull stuff out, move large limbs, other tractors, etc, It's not just for lifting the snow blade.

One pin on the top would keep cable in the pulley groove or maybe two spaced around upper edge, 10 & 2 o'clock maybe? I need to look at it closer before I decide, not even thinking about garage work right now, it was 5* this morning, BBRRRR

I thought about cutting the little shaft the pulley rides on shorter as it becomes tight against side plates and still allows pulley to move side to side, but the top of plate is about the same width where it bolts onto my big eye bolt on upper arm as pulley. I think making plates closer will cause binding of pulley and maybe more issues.

I designed the taller upper arm as I needed that lift height, some guys would have just mounted winch a little higher and did straight pull. I have instances where I need to lif my blade very high, I also have a dump bucket that needs that height to be able to actually dump.

Thanks for ideas, if it ever warms up, I will go play with it, too cold for me to go play with it right now, but at least you all gave me direction!