Diesels are cold natured engines

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 10:48 AM

Ive found the cummins 3.9 and 5.9 to be excellent cold weather starters in on and offroad applications with no starting aid.
Komatsu diesels (dont even know if they make their own engines?) are also excellent cold starters
Deeres get a little cranky below 30*F
Cat 3208 started hard but it wasnt in the best mechanical condition
My kubotas always start hard but they are worn and the batteries are always weak from sitting
Daihatsu always started but i never got to test it below 45*F so thats not really a cold start. motor was also brand new with 5 hours on it
Newer International motors dont start well. They crank long even in the summer

I think if the injection timing, atomization(nozzels and pop pressure) is right and the motor has good compression you will have a good cold weather engine. Keep up on maintainence and when you get your diesel started in the winter bump up the idle. Idling a cold diesel will definitely shorten the life of the engine because of cylinder washing/ wet stacking.

#32 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Injection timing can make a lot of difference, sometimes just a degree or two can change it quite a bit. The hardest starting Diesels I ever saw were the ones in the older Cats. I have never seen an older D9 that started easy.

#33 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,287 Thanks
  • 6,490 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:07 AM

I haven't been able to locate a block heater for this engine So I'm hoping the synthetic will help.

Maybe a magnetic heater could be mounted on or under your motor might help . Or a radiator hose heater .Amazon.com: Kat's 14400 400 Watt 1" Lower Radiator Hose Heater: Automotive

Engine Heaters - JCWhitney
  • tractorman604 and Cvans have said thanks

#34 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,322 Thanks
  • 4,917 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Unfortunately the lower hose option is not viable because of the angle of the hose. I have the tractor parked in a small room with the Knipco heater blowing on the engine. If I come back in 15 to 20 minutes the room and the engine are nice and warm and it starts right up. Once it is started for the day it is usually not a problem unless I let it set for too long. I'm hoping that with the synthetic oil I won't have to be so worried about how long it has been setting out without having been started during the day. I'd go out and start it now but it is 43 degs out and that wouldn't be much of a test.
Thanks for the suggestions.

#35 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,358 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 05:42 AM

I bought a heater that's magnetic , I have it stuck on my oil pan , when the temps drop below 20* I plug it in . She fires up like a champ!
  • tractorman604 said thank you

#36 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 05:45 AM

I bought a heater that's magnetic , I have it stuck on my oil pan , when the temps drop below 20* I plug it in . She fires up like a champ!

Have have used those before,and had pretty good luck with they.