skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 01:58 PM

I talking about off road stuff, no more than say 6.8 liter, Isuzu mostly use glowplugs , personally I would take a 3.5 liter Isuzu over the same sized cummins any day. But that's another issue. A duramax will start cold no if and or butts about that.. awsome cold starting engine. My brothers road rigs had both cummins and cats, the cat was way better cold. All our excavators had either cats or Isuzu engines, both started every time, weather it was 50* or -30* unheated! We had 2 cummins engines, one in a dozer, the other a loader , those Two never started well, and they were both brand new machines ! Needless to say they didn't last long before they got replaced .

#17 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 11:17 AM

You guys have way more experience with diesel engines than I do. I do know that the Perkins 3 cyl 28 HP diesel engine in my Cub Cadet compact tractor starts reliably in cold weather now that I installed a rely that bypasses the safety switches in the starter circuit. Prior to that the safety switches could produce a voltage drop that caused the starter solenoid to disengage before the engine started.

I have learned to cycle the glow plugs twice and then be sure to crank through the first catch until the engine is fully running - then I'm good to go. I do keep the fuel tank topped off and mix Service Power with my fuel. The tractor sits in an unheated pole barn and I have been pleased that cold starting has not been a major issue for me.

JN

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 11:37 AM

Interesting thread. I know that the Yanmar 24hp in my JD 2320 starts without issue at any temp. I've encountered. It has glow plugs and I use a fuel additive. The engine is inderect injection. The next model up, the 2520, uses a Yanmar 26.5 hp that has direct injection. The 2520 can give some grief with cold starts. It will start but will smoke like crazy and run poorly for quite a while before sorting itself out. Do you guys think this is due to direct vs indirect injection?

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 01:21 PM

Interesting thread. The 2520 can give some grief with cold starts. It will start but will smoke like crazy and run poorly for quite a while before sorting itself out. Do you guys think this is due to direct vs indirect injection?

Smoking like crazy & rough sounds like injector nozzles need replaced. Likely they are popping off on low pressure & not vaporizing the diesel. Bad nozzles tend to do fine once everything is up to temp.

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 02:06 PM

I have a brother in-law who lives in North Dakota. He owns a Yanmar grey market tractor. I think it is 17hp and that darn thing will start no matter how cold it is. If the battery can turn it over it starts. Just amazing what some of these diesels can do considering their source of ignition.

#21 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 03:56 PM

Just amazing what some of these diesels can do considering their source of ignition.

Ditto that. And to think that pre-ignition (or detonation as it is referred) to will destroy a gasoline engine in no time..... !

JN

#22 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 06:46 PM

If you want a hard starter buy a GM 6.2 or 6.5

#23 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 09, 2011 - 07:28 PM

me and my dad looked at a chevy diesel with a 6.2 or a 6.7, i forget, but the thing started decent in cold weather. i know the 6.2's have starting issues in the cold. it mighta been a 6.7 but chevys do seem to start rough in the cold.

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Smoking like crazy & rough sounds like injector nozzles need replaced. Likely they are popping off on low pressure & not vaporizing the diesel. Bad nozzles tend to do fine once everything is up to temp.

The 2520 was brand new on the dealers lot and a second one with low hours owned by a friend of mine. It just seems to be the nature of that engine. I was thinking it had to do with the direct injection. I'm glad the Yanmar in my tractor doesn't give me any grief.

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 08:30 PM

The 2520 was brand new on the dealers lot and a second one with low hours owned by a friend of mine. It just seems to be the nature of that engine. I was thinking it had to do with the direct injection. I'm glad the Yanmar in my tractor doesn't give me any grief.

Could be the timing of the pump is off then. That will cause heavy smoking cold also.

#26 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 09:22 PM

That is what you get from cranking that engine tight to get the max out of it. This is a common issue I have seen on a lot of new deeres,,especially the computer controlled units. My brothers skidder does this too, and its new,Deere tells him that the computer does it and it is fine? Funny none of our NewHolland diesels or Isuzu's do it?

#27 Amigatec ONLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 05:37 PM

Interesting thread. I know that the Yanmar 24hp in my JD 2320 starts without issue at any temp. I've encountered. It has glow plugs and I use a fuel additive. The engine is inderect injection. The next model up, the 2520, uses a Yanmar 26.5 hp that has direct injection. The 2520 can give some grief with cold starts. It will start but will smoke like crazy and run poorly for quite a while before sorting itself out. Do you guys think this is due to direct vs indirect injection?

White smoke On a Diesel means low compression, and it's normal for low compression when they are cold. Once they warm up and everything expands the smoke will go away.

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 05:47 PM

White smoke On a Diesel means low compression, and it's normal for low compression when they are cold. Once they warm up and everything expands the smoke will go away.

That seems to be the case. I was just wondering if it was something inherent in direct injection that would make the engine harder to start. In this case I don't think it is because Deere is trying to get too much HP from the engine and I think the 2520 uses a simple control system and is not computer controlled. It was a real deterrent to me getting one because I don't want to deal with a cold blooded engine if I don't have to.

#29 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Glow Plugs are normally only used in engines with pre-chambers, most direct injected motor don't use them. I have seen on some DI engines they will have a Glow Plug in the intake.

#30 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 08:50 PM

For the first time in my life I installed straight synthetic oil in one of my engines. Because of my ongoing back problems I need my Bolens to start all the time. Below 20 degrees it was getting slow to turn over even with the charger on it. Today it was warmer so I started it and after warming it up I put it up on the service stand to change oil and the filter. I was really surprised at how thick the Shell 15-40 was when I drained it. The 5-40 synthetic poured out of the bottle like it was 80 outside. Used very little glow plug and boy does it start quick. I picked up the oil at our local farmers COOP for about $6.00 a quart. I will let you know how the Kubota engine likes it and if it is starting better when stone cold.
When it gets much colder I run the Nebco heater on it for about 15 to 20 minutes before starting and that helps. I haven't been able to locate a block heater for this engine So I'm hoping the synthetic will help.
  • hammerdwn20 said thank you