#31 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,493 Thanks
  • 7,628 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:15 PM

I have done a LOT of towing over the last year, and I have to say that the hitch on the trailer I bought is one that I think is the best available for being secure to the tow vehicle. Once it's latched, it's almost impossible for it to accidently unlatch. Even then, being paranoid, I use a trailer lock that makes it impossible to unlatch it accidently.

Here's a vid on the version I have. Once that lever goes over center it's very secure.

Even then I use this collar lock which makes it extra secure and theft proof.

The trailer is made by PJ, and they also use some pretty hefty safety chains with snap hooks on the ends. I have to say I'm danged happy with it.

Here's a pic I took before I bought the collar lock, where you can see the safety chains.

The ONLY way this puppy is going to break loose is if the hitch assembly parts company with the tow vehicle.

That is the best couple ever designed. I had the back end of my Suburban completely off the ground when I was loading a tractor. The couple held tight.

A couple of years ago I took Christine down to the scrap yard with the little trailer on the back. When I left the yard I noticed an odd noise and I got to where I could pull over and look. The nut on the hitch ball had worked loose and fell off when I touched it. We had towed that trailer about 100 miles the day before. I limped up to a garage and we got the 1 inch impact after it. I don't even know if I could get it back off now.

The safety chain on my big trailer with the pintle hitch is big enough to lift a bulldozer with. I have no idea who put it on there but it will defiantly hold.

My biggest trailer pet peeve is people not securing their loads. I see it all the time when someone comes into the scrap yard and stuff is falling all over the place. I got about $40 in aluminum sheet one day just following a guy to the scrap yard. It flew off and Steph would jump out and grab it. There is one guy who tows vehicles in all the time on a flatbed trailer with no tie downs at all. He put them in park and tows them. I have seen them almost off the back of his trailer when he pulled in.

Another guy pulls them in a rollback with only the winch cable holding them on. Nothing on the back of the vehicle at all.

• olcowhand, MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#32 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 05:49 PM

That bulldog hitch is nice and i would rather have had the over the top lever but i welded the low pro style on solid, so use the board. Many a times i have used the jack on the trailer to ease the breakover on the ramps of the trailer. I think I have lifted the tongue upwards of 3 inches of suspension flex in the truck lol.
  • MH81 said thank you

#33 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,694 Thanks
  • 28,340 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:23 PM

When I hauled Caseguy's TD340 for him, it lifted the back wheels of the truck way off the ground when I backed it off. Damn heavy critter.

That trailer hitch is one of the ones that the clip slides forward and drops down to latch. Then a safety lock. Very sturdy.

#34 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:09 PM

This has been a nice thread as mentioned the media loves & creates it's own drama. A few things I want to add is the tongue weight should be around 10% of your total weight (load + trailer weight). So if your towing 6000lbs your tongue weight should be around 600lbs. A too light of a TW can cause swaying & too heavy can be too hard on the vehicle. Greasing the ball, this prevents the catch that grabs around the bottom neck of the ball from rusting. This catch is very vital as well when it comes time to inspect. Happy trailering  :D

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#35 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,149 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Trailerin' ... :reading_the_manual: bump

• MH81, Talntedmrgreen and pigsitter have said thanks

#36 pigsitter OFFLINE  

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Glad this got bumped back up as I missed it the first go round. I'll throw in another thing to check,always take a moment to inspect the welds holding your tailgate hinges on,I lost my gate once due to a bad weld from the factory,luckily I was on a private road when it happened.

Lots of good info in this thread as I've found several things to do to improve my trailering setup. :thumbs:

• MH81, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#37 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Since this was bumped it's a good time to bring up a very disappointing site I seen the other day....a very nice old Cub Cadet sitting on a trailer with no one around because of a flat tire. :(  It could have easily been stolen. Spare up before you leave.

• MH81, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#38 motobreeder OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 06:27 PM

I missed this the first time round - thanks for the bump.

I'm glad to hear the s-hooks aren't allowed anymore.  Thinking I might re-check the chains and replace if needed.

My utility trailer popped off while i was in the neighbourhood - 40Ks (about 25mph).  What saved me was the chains - the trailer gave the truck a good thump but no damage.  I was in a hurry and forgot to lock the latch, the lock was sitting in the cab of the truck.

In Ottawa, a trailer behind a dump truck came loose and killed someone at a bus stop.  Not sure if they were charged/convicted, but that's something he will live with for the rest of his life.

I'd rather have my trailer wedged up under my truck where I can hope to control the outcome - instead of having to watch someone else be the victim of my choices.

• MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks