#16 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:08 PM

This is a worthy thread for those among us who may at one time or another be in fever frenzy mode to snatch that deal 'that just won't last'.

I wouldn't think it'd be overstating to have a pinned or rebumped thread about this subject. As was said check, check, double check + constant state of alertness. Did anyone mention the other 'drivers' and stunts they seem to play especially when your hauling?

Thanks guys! :thumbs:

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:29 PM

I use an 18ft equip and 6 x 10 small trailer. Big one is easier to use. On the chains......think most laws have no specs on what capacity the chains need to be. Just requires that there be two on it. THEN, tho hooks also not rated. Most S hooks and those push-in side lock things that look like a link will just bend and spread open with trailer loads. I think as long as manufacturer has chains on the trailer, they are good to go, no specs to meet. I have replace many lighter chains on trialers in past.  The cross-over part was just a "trick" I was told, not you say some states require that?  I Do that.  One time with mine, had big load and chains dragged some at times. I figured would be OK.  Didn't drive more than 10 miles home. Got out and looked at them and they were worn halfway thru the row of dragging links on both sides in just that small time. These were big 5/16" links too. Replaced them soon! Now if chain drags, I give them a twist or two before hooking up. SO, is zat bad idea too?  ON the lock pins for latch, get a biger one. Mine came with a 5/16" pin and lock clip. Darn think didn't lock many times. I finally had to drill out the pin hole to 3/8" and get the bigger pin and it seems fine now. Too much slop in mechanism I guess??  There are lots of quality's of metal hardware for trailer pins, connectors and balls, buy the biggest and best when you can.

Most amazing thing that I ever think about is that ALL that stuff behind you is held to your truck by just a 5/8" pin in the hitch receiver.  Now THAT seems scary! No matter what size/weight the trailer, all have the same size pin for the insert there.  You guys are making me Scared to use my trailer with this posting!

• hamman, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:35 PM

"S" hooks don't cut it here in Ontario anymore either. They must have safety snaps.

I wonder, did that report touch on the poor quality of trailers that the public

is being sold, by the big box stores?

I've looked at some of that junk that they sell at places like Home Depot. Unbelievable.

My toaster is built stronger, but then maybe that's because it's 20 years old.

I bet if you took those things off the road, the accident rate would drop dramatically.

• hamman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:36 PM

I have my opinion on chains, and i do hook them, but i also believe they arent going to help much in a situation. I had a small 4x8 trailer jump off the hitch behind my car a few years ago on a gravel road, traveling about 15 mph. Trailer was unloaded and when it jumped the chains kept it lined up with the vehicle, but as soon as i slowed to a stop the trailer jammed under the back of the car. Had it been a larger trailer with a load going down the highway and the hitch failed, that trailer will follow me at a high rate of speed, and if i have to stop in any reasonable distance, it could send me out of control, or even over an embankment! No i dont want to lose a trailer, and follow all rules, and precautions, and check the latch every time i get ready to roll. Dad taught me all while growing up how to properly hitch, load, secure loads, tow, back, and what else not. I can honestly say i have never had a major problem yet. Best tip i can give to anyone towing, is check your mirrors, and check them as often, any change back there, and you must find the first safe opportunity to resolve it. I always make certain that some part of the trailer is visable in my mirror before departing. Once that part is missing from your mirror is the exact time you must worry. The smaller the trailer the harder it is to get it visable, and even harder to notice a power difference if you were to lose it.
  • hamman, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 07:48 AM

I have done a LOT of towing over the last year, and I have to say that the hitch on the trailer I bought is one that I think is the best available for being secure to the tow vehicle.  Once it's latched, it's almost impossible for it to accidently unlatch. Even then, being paranoid, I use a trailer lock that makes it impossible to unlatch it accidently.

Here's a vid on the version I have.  Once that lever goes over center it's very secure.

Even then I use this collar lock which makes it extra secure and theft proof.
http://www.thecollar.net/

The trailer is made by PJ, and they also use some pretty hefty safety chains with snap hooks on the ends. I have to say I'm danged happy with it.

Here's a pic I took before I bought the collar lock, where you can see the safety chains.

100_4505.JPG

The ONLY way this puppy is going to break loose is if the hitch assembly parts company with the tow vehicle.

• hamman, IamSherwood, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#21 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Most ST tires are rated at 65 mph so that should be taken into consideration,especially with a fully loaded trailer.

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#22 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:44 AM

OB, that hitch has been used on horse trailer/livestock trailers for years, I agree, one of the best. Guess since animals are involves, they want he safest hitch on it too. I wished I would have had one installed on my trailer instead of the one I got, but it was more money than I had at the time.

• hamman said thank you

#23 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 11:01 AM

...Had it been a larger trailer with a load going down the highway and the hitch failed, that trailer will follow me at a high rate of speed, and if i have to stop in any reasonable distance, it could send me out of control, or even over an embankment!...

What is the alternative?? It skidding accross accross 3 lanes of traffic and t-boning a bus full of kids and nuns?

Hopefully if the trailer is any larger it has it's own brakes and has the ability to stop itself in the case of a hitch failure.

• hamman, motobreeder and boyscout862 have said thanks

#24 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hopefully if the trailer is any larger it has it's own brakes and has the ability to stop itself in the case of a hitch failure.

You bring up a good point, trailers with brakes should have a break away emergency system, how many don't? I know my 16 footer has one axle electric brakes, but no break away system, many come out of factory without them.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 01:09 PM

What is the alternative?? It skidding accross accross 3 lanes of traffic and t-boning a bus full of kids and nuns?<br /><br />Hopefully if the trailer is any larger it has it's own brakes and has the ability to stop itself in the case of a hitch failure.

<br /><br />I have never had any issues, and i adjust the latches on the trailers every year to ensure they are on the ball securely. Larger trailers have brakes and breakaway devices. The way i drive the trailers will not be taking out anyone. I buy overrated everything when it comes to hitches and inspect my equipment before use (walk around tugging and shoving on stuff).
  • GTTinkerer, boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hey OB, i have the exact hitch on my 6x10 trailer and find it to be a constant PITA to latch or unlatch. I have to hit the lever with a block to make it move. It is secure though. I found a bicycle lock at TSC one day that fits the pin hole of the collar exactly and the hoop is wide enough to get by the hitch and use it instead of the factory pin. Makes it nice and secure and better than factory, as that pin spring clip always gets caught under the collar.
  • OldBuzzard and boyscout862 have said thanks

#27 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 01:40 PM

What is the alternative?? It skidding accross accross 3 lanes of traffic and t-boning a bus full of kids and nuns?

Just How do you write the head line on that one?! HUH?!

NUN SOUP!

Sorry throw back to my favorite movie, short circuit.

I think the biggest thing we can say here is.  USE COMMON SENSE.  I know thats lacking in the real world, I'd say with confidence here that I'd pull a trailer that was hooked up by you guys.  But real world people don't always use common sense

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#28 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'm a stickler about my trailer and securing a load.  I have so many straps and chains, it's ridiculous, but...I use them all.  I use a lock on my latch, and keep a key for it on a quick-release latch on my keyring, and a spare key hidden on the trailer.  I just don't like the idea of anyone being able to latch or change my hitching to my truck and trailer....and it happens when folks think they are helping.  The only time I've dropped a trailer, is when trusting my father to hitch up for me.  He used his own ballmount, with a 2" ball, on my my truck with my 2 5/16" trailer.  Never again....I leave that lock on, and hitch up myself.  Crossed, heavy chains, with safetly clips are a must for me, as is an adjustable height hitch, for properly leveling my trailer.  I gave extra for dual axle breaks and breakaway system....and I maintain it all, to work properly.  I can leave on minimal notice, any day of the week, for a trip on any distance with full confidence in my equipment.

Securing what's on the trailer is even more tedious for me.  I drive around and meet all sorts of tractor folks, and mean no disrespect, but have had to ask folks to simply 'step back' when I'm strapping down a load.  I want to build that load and secure each point of contact myself.  I'm not only looking for good mounting points for the trailer and new equipment, I'm inspecting my straps each time as well.  When one gets frayed, it gets thrown in the cab and I'll recycle it for other uses in the shop...it won't go down the road.  Loading is also a great time to check gate latches, tire condition, mounting of my spare, etc.

I love pulling a trailer and chasing down goodies, and do not want to be the guy on the shoulder of the highway due to ignorance or carelessness.

• HDWildBill, WHdbJD, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#29 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 03:12 PM

I wont pull any trailer unless I check the load and hitching myself, no matter how much I trust someone else, the driver is still responsible for his load.
  • Talntedmrgreen and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#30 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 04:07 PM

Hey OB, i have the exact hitch on my 6x10 trailer and find it to be a constant PITA to latch or unlatch. I have to hit the lever with a block to make it move. It is secure though. I found a bicycle lock at TSC one day that fits the pin hole of the collar exactly and the hoop is wide enough to get by the hitch and use it instead of the factory pin. Makes it nice and secure and better than factory, as that pin spring clip always gets caught under the collar.

Yeah, it can get stiff.

That locking collar has a dual purpose...I also use it to 'thump' that lever. :D :D :D