17 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Good reading Al.  It is possible that the issue is in the seal between the carb and the engine block.  The wrung off screw and vibrating carb did rough up the gasket, it may be that things aren't sealing properly.

#17 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 05:55 AM

I don't know enough about how the fuel systems are designed for these small engines , I thought some had some type of sealed fuel tank that got pressurized  through the crankcase ( like an old 50's Evinrude twin hose tank )  

#18 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 11:17 AM

I went back into this saw today to see what I could find.  I started with the fuel primer bulb and watched the fuel lines while pumping.  What I noticed was that the fuel line from the tank INTO the carburetor had no air bubbles, while the fuel coming out of the carburetor to the push bulb had air bubbles.  To confirm what I was seeing, I hooked the fuel line directly to the push primer, and after just two pushes, all the air was gone from the primer.  So, looks like a diaphragm in the carburetor has a pinhole which was leaking air.  New carburetors are rare for this particular saw, and the only one I found was $45, while replacement saw is around $110.  

• Alc said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chainsaw, fuel, carb