17 replies to this topic

#16 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 03:22 PM

Here you go .....

I'd check the Ignition switch , the contacts inside the switch sometimes oxidize and you won't get any voltage to the coil or points . You might try a heavy dose of contact cleaner where you put the key in and try turning it on and off a few times .

If your not getting voltage to the switch , it gets its voltage from the voltage regulator L terminal so the regulator may be bad .

Attached Thumbnails

• Original wiring.jpg

Edited by Jlaws, January 24, 2014 - 03:52 PM.

• suburban 12 said thank you

#17 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:50 PM

I put a new points wire on and used a test light as a hot wire. I managed to hot wire something back to working how it should, because before I used the test light it still wasn't getting spark. Now it has strong spark, and the plug and wire are good. It still doesn't want to fire, I am guessing that it is too cold for the starting fluid to vaporize fast enough to ignite.

Thanks for the suggestions and the wiring diagram.

• MH81 said thank you

#18 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 02:04 AM

I put a new points wire on and used a test light as a hot wire. I managed to hot wire something back to working how it should, because before I used the test light it still wasn't getting spark. Now it has strong spark, and the plug and wire are good. It still doesn't want to fire, I am guessing that it is too cold for the starting fluid to vaporize fast enough to ignite.

Thanks for the suggestions and the wiring diagram.

Keep that starting fluid and use it for what it was made for, a diesel. Not a gasoline engine.

Get yourself a spray bottle and put some fuel in it to spray into your carburetor, that starting fluid can be pretty hard on these old engines. Ask me how I know this. 

• suburban 12 and JoeMopar have said thanks