• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thadscub OFFLINE  

thadscub

• Member No: 1913
  • 69 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:23 PM

i need to lube my throttle and choke cable on my cub cadet 122 what is the best lube to use as this will be used in the winter too

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:15 PM

You can get an arerosol can of "chain and cable lube" like for motorcycle drive chain.  That would be ideal.  If you have a little diesel fuel that would work good or plain motor oil would be great.  You can put those in an oil can and slowly pump it in one end while working the cable back and forth to draw the lube down inside.  DO NOT use penetrating oil as it turns to a half dried glue in about a week.   Good luck!

• gopher and sacsr have said thanks

#3 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:16 PM

maybe something like this

https://www.google.c...ved=0CF8QpiswAA

• gopher, sacsr and Arti have said thanks

#4 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 21, 2014 - 10:03 PM

They make a dry lube that comes in a spray can and then drys after a couple of minutes that way dirt and dust will not stick to the cable and gum it up latter.    It comes out of the can as a liquid and will run down the inner cable and then it will leave a dry lube on the cable when it drys. It works pretty good for me without gumming up the cables in the dusty summer grass cutting season.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,653 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:57 AM

I actually blast the real bad ones. Sometimes have to cut off the special end or bent end from fastening to get it out and back in the housing. You can flex the housing carefully to clean down into it some. Then I use Graphite. Lockeze is a good brand, made for locks really. OR a speedeometer lube, IF you can find anymore. That is dissappering because most cars use a wire and sensors now days for speedo drives. Let the Lock eze drain down the wire  and it will hit the casings and just kinda go round and round as it flows. You will see this happening. When it is full it will be dripping off the end of cable. Work it around for awhile. I sometimes hit second time. I then hang it up and let the excess drip off. Later the wet part dries and leaves behind the grey graphite and lubes. This won't collect dirt like oiling can do.

• Alc, HDWildBill and sodisr have said thanks