:welcometogttalk: 

Nice tractor!!

#17 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 11:17 PM

:welcome: aboard glad to have you. Looks like a solid restore project. Keep us posted on what your doing & any questions.

#18 johnboy OFFLINE  

johnboy
  • Member No: 52942
  • 7 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hi Folks,

I came, I saw, I went!

now though winter is coming and it's time to head back to the shed and tinker :)

So I plundered the engine from the massey for a merry tiller as the garden needed some work and the massey was going nowhere fast.

I'm not overly bothered about putting the MAG engine back on as it's not like it's original anyway.

That got me to thinking about engines.  I could get a honda clone for okish money, but it will only leave me with drive to the wheels.  I've no hope of finding a deck for one of these over here and I've never seen another deck with the vertical belt arrangement.

Which got me to thinking...... Has anyone put a vertical shaft engine in one of these?  rotten small rideons are readily available for small money and the input pully on the transmission is horizontal so I'd only need to figure out a tensioner for that, then I could adapt a more common horizontal belt deck maybe too.

So, has it/can it be done?

also what's the most powerful engine I should be putting into the 8 hydro transmission?

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 06:51 PM

You will be better off making a mule drive to change the belt direction or a 90 degree drive of some kind (watch rotation direction).

Is that the only reason you said the clone would only give you drive?