• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 11:47 AM

Well you shouldn't put it in that B80... you should sell it to me real cheap.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:

I wont put it in there... it wouldnt fit. I may sell it, im not sure if i want to do anything with it yet but i will let you know for sure!

#17 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 05:23 PM

I repowered my B-80 with a Kohler K301 12hp. Here's a couple pics of it after I finished it, but it doesn't look this good anymore, as its been my full time mower for a couple of years now. The 12 is a perfect engine for them. 

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05292.JPG
  • DSC05293.JPG
  • DSC05285.JPG

• twostep, CubHorse80 and GlenPettit have said thanks

#18 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:15 AM

I repowered my B-80 with a Kohler K301 12hp. Here's a couple pics of it after I finished it, but it doesn't look this good anymore, as its been my full time mower for a couple of years now. The 12 is a perfect engine for them. 

Matt

That looks like a freshly groomed horse! I like how the k301 fits snug but not too big looking. I may go with a 10 or 12 if i can find one. There is a guy in kenwood that has 6 good k181 blocks he has rebuilt with no carbs or mufflers.The carb and fuel pump on mine are perfect! The engine ran great fuel wise, but rings were bad. ive never had a better idling and running engine in my life!

Whats that big screen on the front of the engine? it looks wider than opening and looks kinda cool! :worshippy1:

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#19 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 01:25 PM

That looks like a freshly groomed horse! I like how the k301 fits snug but not too big looking. I may go with a 10 or 12 if i can find one. There is a guy in kenwood that has 6 good k181 blocks he has rebuilt with no carbs or mufflers.The carb and fuel pump on mine are perfect! The engine ran great fuel wise, but rings were bad. ive never had a better idling and running engine in my life!

Whats that big screen on the front of the engine? it looks wider than opening and looks kinda cool! :worshippy1:

Thanks. The screen on the Kohler is factory to this engine, but not correct for Wheel Horse. You'll notice a metal plate in the middle of the screen as well. Whatever application this K-301 came off of, used the flywheel side of the engine for its drive, so I had to cover the hole in the screen. 

If you have access to a K181 engine, I would probabally go that route, as I like keeping them original. I didn't have a choice with this one, as its original engine was gone, and I had access to this K301. Its a strong runner with the 12hp engine for sure, but it would be nice if it was original.

Matt

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#20 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:43 AM

Thanks. The screen on the Kohler is factory to this engine, but not correct for Wheel Horse. You'll notice a metal plate in the middle of the screen as well. Whatever application this K-301 came off of, used the flywheel side of the engine for its drive, so I had to cover the hole in the screen. 

If you have access to a K181 engine, I would probabally go that route, as I like keeping them original. I didn't have a choice with this one, as its original engine was gone, and I had access to this K301. Its a strong runner with the 12hp engine for sure, but it would be nice if it was original.

Matt

Gotcha, but i think it looks cool though!

I found a 8hp rebuilt block, i will jsut use my carb and muffler for $100. The guy has a bunch of em. BUT i have that auction tomorrow and im hoping i can find a cheaper engine!

#21 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:55 AM

Gotcha, but i think it looks cool though!

I found a 8hp rebuilt block, i will jsut use my carb and muffler for $100. The guy has a bunch of em. BUT i have that auction tomorrow and im hoping i can find a cheaper engine!

Good luck with your auction, and whatever engine you end up with, I look forward to seeing your progress. :thumbs:

Matt

#22 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 09:08 AM

Good luck with your auction, and whatever engine you end up with, I look forward to seeing your progress. :thumbs:

Matt

Thanks! :D

I really want to stick with the k181 for originality.

I do have a k91 i can throw on there :bigrofl:

• GlenPettit said thank you

#23 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 07:57 AM

Well, I did it! I got another k181s and put her in! i plowed like crazy yesterday! i just need to get the carb adjusted! I had a scare when there was a pop and the engine stopped, and thought it snapped the rod but i didn't screw the spark plug down enough! :rolling: OOOOPS! But it runs great! and all i need to but is a head gasket!

Edited by CubHorse80, February 06, 2014 - 07:59 AM.

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#24 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 08:54 AM

Well, I did it! I got another k181s and put her in! i plowed like crazy yesterday! i just need to get the carb adjusted! I had a scare when there was a pop and the engine stopped, and thought it snapped the rod but i didn't screw the spark plug down enough! :rolling: OOOOPS! But it runs great! and all i need to but is a head gasket!

Thats great news!! I love hearing you got her going again, but  :wewantpics:  :bigrofl: ...

Matt

#25 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:22 AM

Thats great news!! I love hearing you got her going again, but  :wewantpics:  :bigrofl: ...

Matt

I will get some today! it looks the same because i used the same shrouds from the old engine, but the muffler is different!

I want to make it really quiet so i can plow at night! thats the next project! She runs great!!! :dancingbanana:

And i need a new belt... and tire chains... and more weight... and maybe some ags....

OH!!! almost forgot!!!! the guy i got the engine from gave me an OEM cast aluminum light bcket!!! FOR FREE! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: