#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 04:08 PM

Contacted the seller, nice guy, the hitch is Cub, not sold with the plow (drat!).

Did some looking into Simplicity sleeve hitches for the plow, seems it is fairly easy to make the B-Series hitch (early) and the Brinly plow would work with it but also seen some Brinly made hitches for the Simplicity tractors.

Point me in the right direction please ?

#17 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:02 PM

That price is a bit steep. It will fit the b series hitch adapter. You can get the manual for set up from Brinly site.
  • trowel said thank you

#18 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:10 PM

... seems it is fairly easy to make the B-Series hitch (early) ...

Yes, the hitch is dirt simple to make, if you have access to a welder and a drill press.  

DSCN2787.JPG DSCN2788.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:36 PM

That price is a bit steep. It will fit the b series hitch adapter. You can get the manual for set up from Brinly site.

5 years ago thoses plows were going at $ 30 to $ 100 depending on condition, should of bought one then.

Very hard to swallow, everything is climbing.

As for the hitch, many thanks and yes i do have the means to fab this adapter.

Below is the simpler B-series and Brinly made hitches.

Attached Thumbnails

• simplicity_brinlyhitch.JPG
  • squire9hitch.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#20 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Contacted the seller, nice guy, the hitch is Cub, not sold with the plow (drat!).

Did some looking into Simplicity sleeve hitches for the plow, seems it is fairly easy to make the B-Series hitch (early) and the Brinly plow would work with it but also seen some Brinly made hitches for the Simplicity tractors.

Point me in the right direction please ?

Brinly never made hitches for Simplicity...Simplicity made hitches to fit Brinly plows, after they quit making their own.  They are quite easy to weld up.

The easiest (and my preferred) method is to fab a hitch that does not have the bar between the rear lift and hitch itself, but rather, to run a chain from the rear lift rod to the plow.  On a B series, the lift system uses a solid rod between the rear lift and rocker, and if you don't lift the plow with a chain, striking something can cause damage to the lift system.  You can still use either style hitch.

It won't fit a B series adapter, because the B series adapter and Simplicity built plows they were made to fit, had a taller opening at the hitch point on the plow...a Brinly is shorter, meaning an B series adapter has to be cut down to fit the later plows.  The fellas selling reproductions offer them with both dimensions.

• trowel said thank you

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the correction,

It is always better to ask/post if unsure. You bring up a good point regarding the early B-series rod and chain set up, it felt like the strongest and simplest set up.

The drawing above is from Michael's tractors to build a hitch set up but i might go with the repro, depends on the time i can spare.

#22 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 06:10 PM

... depends on the time i can spare.

Actually, it depends more on the plow you buy.  Notice, if you will, that the plow in the Michael's diagram has a hole in the neck for the chain to be pinned.  The Brinley plow that I use with my Allis HB112 and the hitch shown above, does not have that hole.  I could not use the Michael's hitch with my plow.  I could, however, use either style of plow with my hitch with only minor modifications.  My hitch also allows for the free floating lift option by replacing the fixed lift arm with a length of chain.

Plow 1.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, January 24, 2014 - 06:14 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Ah, the short lenth of chain would do it, the plow is as far as anyone's concerned, without the pin hole it being for Cub Cadet but it did not concern me that much, can be drilled.

I do like your hitch set up, not knocking it at all, you see the 63 Squire used the early style hitch and rod set up.

Not 100 % original to the tractor but it sets me up for future Simplicity plow.

I will be questioning you regarding your hitch soon.

Edited by trowel, January 24, 2014 - 06:43 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#24 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:42 PM

I prefer the old style free swinging hitch adapter for use with the moldboard plow. If you use the latter single point you must loosen the jamb screws to keep the plow from steering the tractor.
  • trowel said thank you

#25 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 07:59 AM

Actually, it depends more on the plow you buy.  Notice, if you will, that the plow in the Michael's diagram has a hole in the neck for the chain to be pinned.  The Brinley plow that I use with my Allis HB112 and the hitch shown above, does not have that hole.  I could not use the Michael's hitch with my plow.

attachicon.gifPlow 1.jpg

I simply bolted the chain to my plow using the U-bolt that holds the couplter...the plow doesn't need a hole for the chain at all. 

The nice thing about chainging to the plow, is the added leverage you have by moving that lift point back on the plow, vs straight down to the sleeve hitch.  Sometimes, at the end of a furrow, the plow is full, and you need ot lift the weight of the plow and a half cubic foot of sod or soil.  I can even feel the difference in my hydro lift's effort when moving that lift point.  Heck, a guy could even just look chain around the plow frame.

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#26 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Very good points.  There is always a solution.  Like we say, where there is a will, there is a bitter relative, there is a way.

• trowel and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks